• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Portable or Bluetooth speakers in a deuce?

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search around the forums the last 2 days and I haven't found anybody talking about using portable or Bluetooth speakers in a deuce and a half. Now my deuce has a muffler so conversation in there isn't as hard as it used to be, but I want to be able to run a Bluetooth speaker or something for music without having to set up a whole stereo system. Has anybody done this and if so was it successful?

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I was at the Hammers earlier this year a guy had one about 3 or 4 feet long set up on a crossbar behind his seats in a single open cab pickup with no windows and a noisy engine, it was clear loud and sounded great, couldn't tell you a brand name but I doubt it would be hard to find a variety of them on the intardnet .

I would say that's about the same situation as a Deuce in stock configuration .

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a JBL Extreme portable bluetooth speaker that works fairly well for when I'm in my M211. I like the portability of it, and it has loops on top so you can hook a strap to it to mount it if need be.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a JBL Extreme portable bluetooth speaker that works fairly well for when I'm in my M211. I like the portability of it, and it has loops on top so you can hook a strap to it to mount it if need be.

Pretty good sound quality inside the truck?

Carboarius

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not bad sound quality, pretty good bass, fairly loud too. But my deuce is a gasser GMC m211, so it might be a little quieter than your M35.

Menaces Nemesis

"Little Black Truck" Conservator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
None. I want to hear what's going on with the truck, and I want every bit of available attention given to what's going on around me. Driving 14,000 lb. vehicles with 70+ year-old brake and suspension technology, steering that's prone to harsh bump-steer impulses, no anti-locks, no air bags, nothing to cushion impact from the sheet metal inside the cab, driving a high-profile vehicle with a roof that'll crush flat like tin foil if you roll it (or even worse, canvas)... IMO Listening to a stereo shouldn't even remotely be a consideration if we want to protect ourselves, those around us, and our right to continue driving such vehicles. I absolutely love driving my truck. I'm not afraid to drive my truck. But, by God I keep a close grip on what could happen if I'm distracted (or the bimbo in the prius next to me is) and I do my best to drive accordingly, as we all should.

Last edited:

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can 100% agree with you, however I am capable of having music in the background and paying attention to the road and my truck. Think that's BS? That's ok, I can fly a multi-million dollar fixed wing aircraft, work 4 radios, ICS and a MIRC chat...... I think I can drive my truck and have some music in the background and not get transfixed in a sing-along.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can 100% agree with you, however I am capable of having music in the background and paying attention to the road and my truck. Think that's BS? That's ok, I can fly a multi-million dollar fixed wing aircraft, work 4 radios, ICS and a MIRC chat...... I think I can drive my truck and have some music in the background and not get transfixed in a sing-along.
I operate my business right next to a body shop... Outside are rows and rows of late model smashed cars belonging to folks with the same kind of confidence. Thanks for your consideration.

Mrmag1

Head of Stuff N' Things
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for lumping me in with every bad driver because of an ASSUMPTION on my abilities to drive a (former) military vehicle.

rustystud

Totally agree. Now if you only have the attention span of a teenager then get rid of the radio. I too am able to listen to music and concentrate on driving. I still have my Class "A" CDL and have never had a problem with the radio. Maybe all those over the road truckers should turn off their stereo's and CB radios too.

Menaces Nemesis

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for lumping me in with every bad driver because of an ASSUMPTION on my abilities to drive a (former) military vehicle.
IIRC, you perforated your radiator a while ago while trying to drill a hole someplace else in the front of your truck. Just a few months ago you thought something major was wrong with your truck because it wouldn't move, turned out the transfer case lever was in neutral. Obviously you're human and fallible like the rest of us. When you're driving your deuce, you're no longer driving a modern vehicle with any kind of modern tech to make it more visible, help it handle better, or stop quicker. At the same time, aggressive driving and cell-phone-distraction habits from other drivers is sharply increasing. Also, we've currently got lawmakers in many states, if not at the federal level, trying to take away our rights to own and drive FMV's. We need to do everything we can to avoid ANY potential for mishaps. Seems logical to remove as many distractions as we can, not add more.

Last edited:

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
None. I want to hear what's going on with the truck, and I want every bit of available attention given to what's going on around me. Driving 14,000 lb. vehicles with 70+ year-old brake and suspension technology, steering that's prone to harsh bump-steer impulses, no anti-locks, no air bags, nothing to cushion impact from the sheet metal inside the cab, driving a high-profile vehicle with a roof that'll crush flat like tin foil if you roll it (or even worse, canvas)... IMO Listening to a stereo shouldn't even remotely be a consideration if we want to protect ourselves, those around us, and our right to continue driving such vehicles. I absolutely love driving my truck. I'm not afraid to drive my truck. But, by God I keep a close grip on what could happen if I'm distracted (or the bimbo in the prius next to me is) and I do my best to drive accordingly, as we all should.
At the moment my truck operates at 102 db inside the cab. I would love to be able to hear a lot less, and as it is I travel wearing hearing protection. I'm in the process of putting sound insulation (I have several projects going on at once with the truck). But once that's done, I seriously doubt I'll ever play music so loud that it would rival the truck as it is now. Even at 102 db and with ear muffs on, I can still hear the sound warning for low air (it went off once while driving). One of my not-to-distant projects involves putting more gauges in the truck to better monitor what's going on. Pretty sure, as it is now, while wearing ear protection that I couldn't hear minute changes that might alert me to a problem anyways.

I will be installing a computer in the cab, and use a 5+1 (wired) sound system tied into that. The computer will allow me to tie in several upgrades (security, sound, tablet) into one device. And even if I never played the music while the truck was moving, it would still be beneficial to be able to play music while parked (using a secondary electrical source).

Just as an aside. I used to race my bmw (I have another hobby now that takes more of my attention), and I wouldn't have the radio on. I however, don't equate racing a car with driving a deuce. For one thing, I'm not competing to shave off 10th's of a second. If I felt my deuce was so much of a death trap that I couldn't have a radio on while driving it, I wouldn't even own one. Also, one thing about racing, it's important to "feel" the road through the car, and one thing about a deuce and something that only the loudest bass can drown out, you definitely can still feel what's going on even while listening to a radio (I have no intention of playing my radio so loud that it'll be louder than the engine).

Last edited:

Jericho

If any of you are ex military Likely your hearing , Like mine, means you probably couldn't hear much music anyway . Oddly I usually don't turn music on in my M 109 A3 when moving, I wear ear defenders BUT in my much quieter M 931A2 I listen to soft classical with blue tooth thru my hearing aids Yup hearing aids . With no muffs, Never get distracted , do feel a little tunnel vision sometimes !

rustystud

If any of you are ex military Likely your hearing , Like mine, means you probably couldn't hear much music anyway . Oddly I usually don't turn music on in my M 109 A3 when moving, I wear ear defenders BUT in my much quieter M 931A2 I listen to soft classical with blue tooth thru my hearing aids Yup hearing aids . With no muffs, Never get distracted , do feel a little tunnel vision sometimes !
Yeap, got the "shooters ear" thing going on pretty bad now too. I would wear ear muffs with a speaker but Washington State law prohibits driving with any noise cancelling device, like ear muffs. So I just crank-up the music !
The music at least provides another sound besides the constant ringing in my left ear !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks