• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 startup procedure question

Katavic918

I had watched a video a while back of someone starting an m35a2. In the video the shutdown handle was in the out position. He cranked the engine with the handle still out for a second, then pushed the handle it and started the engine. Is there a reason to crank the engine with the handle out or did he just forget to push it in? Also, is it correct to leave the handle out when the truck is parked? That's what I've been doing. Thanks all.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, there is a detailed starting(and shutdown) proceedure in the -10 operators manual.

It would be wisw to atleast read through it once.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Here.................
after idling for the five minutes one just shuts off the master then using two hands just pull the engine shutoff lever handle out at medium speed or slowly until the engine starves.
There is so much going on it there, like the governor weights go to wide open position and such but lots more.

So when the engine is to be shut down then don't just yank that handle out, pull slow medium speed, you will see what I mean.
Or just yank it out and then you get to fix the hydraulic head button.

Truck in high and fifth gear clutch in and engine shutoff all the way out and crank engine a few revolutions.
That proves it is not hydrolocked and that in fact it won't runaway and that everything is copacetic.
If it starts and begins to runaway you can feather release the clutch with brakes ON and stall it out.

Then push in the shutoff handle with same clutch in and fifth gear and hit the starter. She will start on the first revolution.
Then hold 900 to 1000 rpm for a while and warm it up. 4 to 7 minutes seems like a very long time but the fuel is free and a few minutes then spent is better than the many hours labor and parts to replace the head gaskets.
No warm up and you get to do head gaskets or replace the turbo. I think it is a 478 and the back of the engine gets warm LAST. Use your heat indicator gun on it, you'll see.

The spin on lube oil filters allow oil pressure to the turbo and top of the engine in 12 seconds instead of 92 seconds that is why I spent all that money

The mushroom is not fastened tight on purpose, ask me why.

This is all in the operators manual and placard but my conclusions are NOT. I want you to have the most fun you ever had going slow, I did.
turbo advice placard.jpg

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I had watched a video a while back of someone starting an m35a2. In the video the shutdown handle was in the out position. He cranked the engine with the handle still out for a second, then pushed the handle it and started the engine. Is there a reason to crank the engine with the handle out or did he just forget to push it in? Also, is it correct to leave the handle out when the truck is parked? That's what I've been doing. Thanks all.
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?12923-Hydrolock

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, is it correct to leave the handle out when the truck is parked? That's what I've been doing. Thanks all.
Yes leave it pulled out. This way if you have a sticky fuel control unit assembly it will not got to WOT. Better to have a no start truck then one that will make you have to change your under shorts. Also a truck left in gear and the shut down pushed in if the truck gets bumped or rolls for some reason it could start and drive away over something you love.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks