• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 engine swap

exoilfld

I am new to the hummer and am considering swapping the 6.2 to the 6.5. I have read the posts about the swap and I think I can handle it. I am wondering about the fuel delivery. Do they both use an electric pump? I heard the 6.2 uses a mechanical and the 6.5 an electric. Any advice out there?

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Assuming your going with the detuned 6.5, you will notice no real improvement in anything.
if it were me, I would go with a full A2 6.5 drivetrain and install TCM to make the 4 speed trans operable.
more work and money for sure, but a detuned 6.5 will do nothing for you.

Wire Fox

I am new to the hummer and am considering swapping the 6.2 to the 6.5. I have read the posts about the swap and I think I can handle it. I am wondering about the fuel delivery. Do they both use an electric pump? I heard the 6.2 uses a mechanical and the 6.5 an electric. Any advice out there?
You heard wrong, at least for the HMMWV. All HMMWVs use a mechanical fuel lift pump and mechanical injection pump. The difference in fuel delivery between the engines is how the injection pump is tuned, and the injectors used. In regular civilian vehicles using this engine, they DID switch to electronic injection pumps around the time the engine size switched to 6.5L.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 6.2 and it works just fine. There are ways to slightly increase the HP, by slightly increasing fuel delivery and increasing timing BUT if done improperly you will fry your pistons.

If you want more HP, I think you're talking about a 6.5 Turbo.

The 6.5 normally aspirated (n/a) would yield little benefit IMHO.

Hope this answers your questions.

T

JEB

I have heard that parts (at least readily available from non-military sources) for the 6.2 are hard to come by.
My local repair shop (staffed by former Chevy dealer refugees) said in terms of parts availability, to go with the 6.5 non turbo.
True?
--------------------------------------------------
They also like the idea of a Duramax swap, saying it's a good engine.
There is a large wrecking years here that gets lots of GM stuff, including factory salvage.
Is there a kit or instructions for a swap?

NormB

I have heard that parts (at least readily available from non-military sources) for the 6.2 are hard to come by.
My local repair shop (staffed by former Chevy dealer refugees) said in terms of parts availability, to go with the 6.5 non turbo.
True?
--------------------------------------------------
They also like the idea of a Duramax swap, saying it's a good engine.
There is a large wrecking years here that gets lots of GM stuff, including factory salvage.
Is there a kit or instructions for a swap?
For an idea of how many after market and OEM parts ARE available for 6.2L diesel motors, surf on over to the forbidden auction side (fleabay) and do a search for "6.2L diesel motor/engine/parts/rebuild/etc".

There's only been several million Detwah (Detroit) diesels manufactured in the past four decades, 6.2s are generally easily found and most shops know how to rebuild/service them.

From what I've learned through this forum, talking to guys like "Scrounger" (Andrew), reading RWH's and many, many other posts here, unless you're going with the turbo upgrade, there's little HP/performance increase with the 6.5s and they seem to grenade about as often as any (even the turbos detonate from time to time).

I'm writing this partially as a self-serving note as I have a 6.2NA in mine with a 3-speed, absolutely HATE highway traffic so 40-50mph is fine with me (still considering taking the truck down to TN in a few years, sticking with backroads, take a few days to cover the 800 miles), there's less electronics and such to deal with than a 4-speed and the TH400 3 speed is SO smooth I can't even tell it's shifting (look into how many of these transmissions have been used in dragsters)... I AM still looking for a good/used salvage 6.2 with/without transmission/TC for a "spare" (little bit of "scrounger" in all of us) as I have boocoo storage space at my farm in TN.

Keep us posted with your decision process, triumphs and travails, costs, details.

Norm

shannondeese

I have the 6.5 with the three speed trans in my HMMWV. I just bought two 6.2 diesels from my local Chevy dealer. They have been on the shelf for years. When the 6.5 dies I’ll be swapping in one of the 6.2s. For my money I’ll stick with a 6.2 all day any day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks