• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PTO Bearings

fpchief

I took my PTO to have it given a thumbs up by the local heavy duty drivetrain place since I had it off. The transmission had bad leaks at the boots/seals and sat for many years like that so inside the pto got really rusty. It still turned what seemed to me just fine but the drivetrain place said it needs new bearings since they are rusty. I need some advice on this and also can these bearings be sourced from anywhere?

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry I dont know if the bearings can be sourced but I am sure they can just need to number, virtually every bearing mfg indexes off the Timkin #. If you have any rust on the rollers or ball depending on what type bearing you have then your going to have pitting you already have it apart good idea to do the bearings, I always error on the side of caution for better or worse!
Karl

rustystud

Sorry I dont know if the bearings can be sourced but I am sure they can just need to number, virtually every bearing mfg indexes off the Timkin #. If you have any rust on the rollers or ball depending on what type bearing you have then your going to have pitting you already have it apart good idea to do the bearings, I always error on the side of caution for better or worse!
Karl
Totally agree !
In my opinion, new bearings are cheap insurance. I found all of them "new" on eBay just last month for 1/4 the cost of new. I'm rebuilding another PTO I had sitting around or years now, just never had the time to get to it until recently.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Easily found using the nsn# from the parts TM.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I took my PTO to have it given a thumbs up by the local heavy duty drivetrain place since I had it off. The transmission had bad leaks at the boots/seals and sat for many years like that so inside the pto got really rusty. It still turned what seemed to me just fine but the drivetrain place said it needs new bearings since they are rusty. I need some advice on this and also can these bearings be sourced from anywhere?
State which TM's are applicable to this PTO.
Like the big box with the 5 shafts and 9 bearings in it.
Is it like TM 9-2320-361-34P figure 239?

Last edited:

fpchief

State which TM's are applicable to this PTO.
Like the big box with the 5 shafts and 9 bearings in it.
Is it like TM 9-2320-361-34P figure 239?
That be some good dang info!!! Going to try to make it to a computer this evening. No computer access for several days. Kinda hard to go through a TM on a phone. Thanks Sir.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just inserted all the bearing numbers in this exploded view diagram (taken from my favorite parts book ORD 9 SNL G-742, JAN1955...)
Fig. 20-12, transmission PTO, bearing numbers.jpgFig. 20 -12, PTO, legend.jpg

Except for the input gear roller bearing assemblies (found only through eBay), all others are std/popular sizes.

Deuce PTO, input gear bearings.PNGDeuce PTO, needle bearings.PNG

fpchief

I just inserted all the bearing numbers in this exploded view diagram (taken from my favorite parts book ORD 9 SNL G-742, JAN1955...)
View attachment 779005View attachment 779006

Except for the input gear roller bearing assemblies (found only through eBay), all others are std/popular sizes.

View attachment 779008View attachment 779009
Well, I found all of them on Amazon, (including the 94320) with exception of the M-2016. Have not been able to locate most anywhere. Maybe a call to Timken next week?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need one of each, referring to the needle bearings. (One B & one M)
All three ball bearings should be open (-> not sealed, not shielded)

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks