• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Snatch block size for Self Recover Winch

ramdough

All,

I am confused by something. If the self recovery winch can pull 15,500lb max on the bare drum. What size snatch block should I get? I figured 15 ton WLL, but all of the ones I have found use 5/8” to 3/4” cables and the SRW has a 1/2” cable. Do I need a 10 ton one for 1/2” but use more of the max capacity?

Please let me know what I am missing here.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ramdough

Just read the thread.

Any thoughts on where to buy them? Largest 1/2” cable one I found was 8 ton and had a tiny pulley.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just read the thread.

Any thoughts on where to buy them? Largest 1/2” cable one I found was 8 ton and had a tiny pulley.

I think the blocks you are looking at are overhead rated, 4 or 5:1 safety factor. Most recovery blocks only have a 2:1 safety factor.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I saw those. They are for 5/8-3/4” cable.

That is what is crazy for me. The snatch blocks that are compatible for my cable size are not rated for the line pull.

1/2" cable is rated for 20 to 22k. It the same sizs cable 5 ton wreckers use. Most 1/2" blocks are rated for 4 to 8tons WLL comparible.

If you are worried about that then look for the block and tackle from a 5 ton wrecker and feed the cable thru the spool. they just weigh 125lbs or more.

I have always used smaller cable in larger snatch blocks. Most will say 1/2 to 5/8 or 5/8 to 3/4 cable.

You are not going to use it enough for the cable to have any issues.

ramdough

I think the blocks you are looking at are overhead rated, 4 or 5:1 safety factor. Most recovery blocks only have a 2:1 safety factor.
That explains a lot. The 10 ton recovery ones are tiny compared to the 8 ton ones I have found. But even the one Wes sent a link for is only rated for 4 ton lift. There still appears to be a huge discrepancy between different blocks.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
They will have a 8000WLL but a 45,000lb unit break strength. I have used the large 3/4" military snatch blocks and a rear wrecker 45k winch and the 5/8" chain holding the block has broke well before anything else would have.

ramdough

1/2" cable is rated for 20 to 22k. It the same sizs cable 5 ton wreckers use. Most 1/2" blocks are rated for 4 to 8tons WLL comparible.

If you are worried about that then look for the block and tackle from a 5 ton wrecker and feed the cable thru the spool. they just weigh 125lbs or more.

I have always used smaller cable in larger snatch blocks. Most will say 1/2 to 5/8 or 5/8 to 3/4 cable.

Thanks! Sounds like the one you posted is most likely the right choice.

Reworked LMTV

What he said ^

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the 5 ton block that was issued to the 809 series. It will out work my shear pin. I have the Deuce issue block and it will out work the shear pin on the Deuce no matter what I am doing. I do have a small block for the Deuce I can use that is half the size of the Deuce block and I can use it if I need to change the angle of the pull to 90*. Using that block at a 90* the cable does not have to make a U turn as the turn looks more like a J turn on the block. Guess it all depends on what your doing and how deep the mud is you have to carry the block through. A 75 pound block is no fun to try and carry in waist high muck.
Just to add if you do find yourself with a heavy block and deep muck run the cable out to a pull on something level. Tighten up the cable and hook the heavy block to the cable from the truck and run it out to the pull like a zip line. Then you will have the block to the pull point and just run your cable back to the truck or where ever your hooking the end of the cable to if doubling out.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks