• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SouthWind 939J24 Coolant Heaters

sassriverrat

Anyone have reliability issues with these? Thinking about installing one in my camper build to feed the calorifer (hot water tank with coils) as the pricing on these is much better than something like an espar....but then I don't know how reliable/maintenance intensive these are versus a newer unit.

I've seen a couple Espar Hydronic10s going off auction occasionally but the one went for big money yesterday and I'm not sure what vehicles they were originally intended for.

Thanks!

snowtrac nome

in the ak ntional guard we wound up pulling them and tossing them in a pile, we found the swingfire system to be much more reliable. You might take a look at some of the Russian combustion heaters, I have a planair air heater in one of my snow cat cabins, it is the same size as a 10530 it burns a fraction of the fuel. and is bullet proof reliable

74M35A2

Agree with above, and I don't even have one installed. I have part of one, and have only seen others for sale in parts as well. This tells me that none of them work.

sassriverrat

Agree with above, and I don't even have one installed. I have part of one, and have only seen others for sale in parts as well. This tells me that none of them work.
Interesting....that's worrisome then. I negotiated one down to $150 and it was NOS so all there, but I didn't realize that reliability was an issue. Why are these such an issue? I was planning to use one for heating a hot water tank that would, in turn, provide shower water.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Interesting....that's worrisome then. I negotiated one down to $150 and it was NOS so all there, but I didn't realize that reliability was an issue. Why are these such an issue? I was planning to use one for heating a hot water tank that would, in turn, provide shower water.
Maybe look into a "zodi" shower system. I got one for camping and use it for other stuff all the time! I can't say enough good about them.

sassriverrat

Maybe look into a "zodi" shower system. I got one for camping and use it for other stuff all the time! I can't say enough good about them.
Although I like the idea of the Zodi (I looked at a lot of propane options at one point), I'm trying to steer away from propane at this point because I don't have anything else that is going to use it. Further, the camper is based upon a shipping container and I'm scared to death of a leak, even with valves and such, and filling the thing with propane.

snowtrac nome

The reason propane is used so much is its an extremely safe gas. Propane has a very narrow window that it will actually burn in. just because you can smell it doesn't mean there is a explosive hazard, as a fuel truck mechanic I work in vapor clouds all the time my big fear isn't the cloud going up because of what I do but the perimeter where the fuel air ratio is just right finding a source of ignition. Once ignited the fire ball will draw in air and everything becomes crispy real fast.

sassriverrat

propane makes a lot of sense to me if I had other stuff using it, but I've been able to build the entire camper without it thus far. The initial explosive nature doesn't particularly scare me, it's the enclosed space side of it that does. Being that my camper is built on the basis of a conex box, if I'm inside sleeping, all doors closed and the A/C running at night, I now have a non-intrinsically safe motor/blower running and O2 is being displaced, resulting in an explosive environment that's quickly oxygen deficient. It could be a nightmare rather quickly.

Secondly and as previously stated, it would be the only thing on the camper needing propane (barring maybe a grill), so I figure if I can stick with all one fuel, then when I go camping for a few weeks, especially in more remote places, only needing one fuel (diesel) is pretty convenient, especially when I can carry a few hundred spare gallons in the bed of the truck.

Zoiks65

in the ak ntional guard we wound up pulling them and tossing them in a pile, we found the swingfire system to be much more reliable. You might take a look at some of the Russian combustion heaters, I have a planair air heater in one of my snow cat cabins, it is the same size as a 10530 it burns a fraction of the fuel. and is bullet proof reliable
Any chance a guy could get his hands on one or two of those? I’m near the Fairbanks area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks