• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California PG&E outage + generators 10102019

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't had to use either my civi Generac diesel RV gen I set up to use as a backup for the house, or my MEP-802A to do more than run test loads every month or three.

That being said, I am Generac certified up to commercial generators, so dozens of generators that I maintain for people are all doing what they are supposed to do, which is provide peace of mind when the power is on, and come on and power stuff when the utility is out.

As with any piece of equipment if you don't take care of it, then it won't take care of you.

Oh, and one of my customers has a couple of Tesla cars. They bought a 36KW generator so they'd be able to charge them if/when the power goes out. They still own a Ford F150 for hauling stuff and whatnot, which I always find amusing. I don't know of anyone I've met that drives an electric car that doesn't also still own a liquid fueled car or truck as well.

Chainbreaker

Since I purchased my first MEP generator around 2012 we have incurred 2 major outages lasting about a week each due to weather events (ice storm/snow storm). When your well water & septic system depend on electric pumps to work, a generator becomes an absolute necessity after about 24 hrs without power, not to mention the conveniences of running the house & property "business as usual" when the generators are suddenly called into action. Since the 2 major outages we have had a few scheduled maintenance and unscheduled outages that lasted just a few hours, of course we were on generator power as if nothing happend.

Unfortunately, some people don't seem to grasp the concept of planning ahead until they are faced with a long term power outage. We have some neighbors that do not have whole house type generators and after a couple days without power they had to bail out of their houses and check into hotel$. Since then, I think some of them have at least purchased big box store type generators to barely "get by"...run refrigerator, run space heaters, etc. Now though, during any extended outage I am beginning to hear other larger sounding generators running into the late evenings. Apparently some "got the message" and bit the bullet and invested in whole house generators & had electricians to wire up to their house.

Having my lil "stable of generators" I feel like my "compound" becomes its own municipality during an extended outage producing power, water & processing sanitation.

Last edited:

Bmxenbrett

I recently got a sportsman 800w inverter generator. Its the perfect portable companion to a mep. If all you need to do is charge batterys, run a chest freezer or keep a few lights on its perfect. Very light and very portable. Im up to 9hrs on 0.55gal of fuel. Generstor cost under $200 shipped.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recently got a sportsman 800w inverter generator. Its the perfect portable companion to a mep. If all you need to do is charge batterys, run a chest freezer or keep a few lights on its perfect. Very light and very portable. Im up to 9hrs on 0.55gal of fuel. Generstor cost under $200 shipped.
While that's not a bad deal, I'd argue to say it's NOT the ideal companion as it has nowhere near the quality or longevity that you'll get from the MEP. About the only thing that will come close is the Honda suitcase generators. But for cost $200 is really hard to beat, and when it fails you just toss it and get a new one.

LEOK

It is too bad about all there fires, but you would think that tree trimming and brush removal would be standard affair. But I do find humor that the oh so green state, is having the equivalent of 3rd world electric, and all those dirty generators will be running.

NormB

Beware
Little Hondas are particular with the oil level sensing device
Dont, toss them, send to me...................

I’ve been using a Honda EU1000i generator for over 5 years on camping trips, lately - past 2-1/2 years - about 4-6 times a year to my farm in TN while I do construction, infrastructure, etc, running it as much as 24 hours a day 5 days in a row.

Got it for running small electronics, as the larger unit I owned wasn’t pure sine wave. Cost about $700 then, worth every penny. Starts easily, runs quietly, drinks about 2 gallons of gas a day (24 hours)

I have larger ones, like a 2800W Honda commercial generator, a 7500W unit (bought back in 1999. When hurricane Isabel took out our power, this ran two refrigerators in our house, coffeemaker, microwave, lights, AND I ran an extension to my neighbor’s and ran a fridge, lights and TV/DVD to entertain his kids but it burns about 9 gallons a day - 10 hours and LOUD?!), then the MEP gensets, will haul the 802a down this spring as I get electrics set up in main garage/workshop (pending cabin construction), meanwhile the 1000W unit runs lights (LED lights), a compact refrigerator and a small coffee pot, at MOST about 900 watts. For very little gas.

I buy these inexpensive digital hour meters and put them on ALL my gas engines https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZXJZ21/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8D22D053-65DC-4172-8E02-22A7DD694514.jpg
Great way to know exactly how long you’ve run the thing for maintenance. I bought the manuals, like my HMMWV and RAM (diesel, of course), I prefer doing all my own maintenance - so far.

This LAST trip down, with a little over 500 hrs on the generator it began dying suddenly, randomly.

Neighbor - a small engine mechanic by profession, retired - stopped by and the FIRST thing he suggested was a bad oil level sensor.

THANK YOU.

I was just about to tear the thing apart again and begin troubleshooting, now I know exactly where to start.

BTW: for anyone interested, this is something I threw together about 12 years ago, it’s a prepping guide of sorts, only thing missing is generators as I had little to no experience with them back then. FWIW.

https://www.scribd.com/document/77847015/Zombie-Attack-Plan

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I’ve been using a Honda EU1000i generator for over 5 years on camping trips, lately - past 2-1/2 years - about 4-6 times a year to my farm in TN while I do construction, infrastructure, etc, running it as much as 24 hours a day 5 days in a row.
~ ~ Honda big and little very sensitive to oil level........................................

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
California need Goats really bad. They cheap.
No machines, no fuel, N0 chemicals, The way it used to be done.

Union gonnah kill me but this is still the best way.
Anybody wanna be in businesses clearing most anything that grows?

I suggest a Deuce + trailer and 25 goats and take a break and enjoy.
What a peaceful coexistence could be had.
Look up goats clearing...................

It is Sunday, take a break
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joiAcg0IlOM

Last edited:

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Got it for running small electronics, as the larger unit I owned wasn’t pure sine wave. Cost about $700 then, worth every penny. Starts easily, runs quietly, drinks about 2 gallons of gas a day (24 hours)

I have larger ones, like a 2800W Honda commercial generator, a 7500W unit (bought back in 1999. When hurricane Isabel took out our power, this ran two refrigerators in our house, coffeemaker, microwave, lights, AND I ran an extension to my neighbor’s and ran a fridge, lights and TV/DVD to entertain his kids but it burns about 9 gallons a day - 10 hours and LOUD?!), then the MEP gensets, will haul the 802a down this spring as I get electrics set up in main garage/workshop (pending cabin construction), meanwhile the 1000W unit runs lights (LED lights), a compact refrigerator and a small coffee pot, at MOST about 900 watts. For very little gas.

I buy these inexpensive digital hour meters and put them on ALL my gas engines https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071ZXJZ21/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

View attachment 779243
Great way to know exactly how long you’ve run the thing for maintenance. I bought the manuals, like my HMMWV and RAM (diesel, of course), I prefer doing all my own maintenance - so far.

This LAST trip down, with a little over 500 hrs on the generator it began dying suddenly, randomly.

Neighbor - a small engine mechanic by profession, retired - stopped by and the FIRST thing he suggested was a bad oil level sensor.

THANK YOU.

I was just about to tear the thing apart again and begin troubleshooting, now I know exactly where to start.

BTW: for anyone interested, this is something I threw together about 12 years ago, it’s a prepping guide of sorts, only thing missing is generators as I had little to no experience with them back then. FWIW.

https://www.scribd.com/document/77847015/Zombie-Attack-Plan
Norm, I don't have a scribd account and I'm not going to sign up for one. Post it here as a PDF if you want people to read it.
Mike

NormB

California need Goats really bad. They cheap.
No machines, no fuel, N0 chemicals, The way it used to be done.
Union gonnah kill me but this is still the best way.
Anybody wanna be in businesses clearing most anything that grows?

I suggest a Deuce + trailer and 25 goats and take a break and enjoy.
What a peaceful coexistence could be had.
Look up goats clearing...................

It is Sunday, take a break
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joiAcg0IlOM

Then there's the problem of feral goats, and (G-d forbid) the legendary goat on the roof problem:

http://picpimp.net/BestPosts/GoatOnRoof.htm

[FONT=&quot]Subguns.com Sword of Damocles Discussion Board[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Here is the Goat story[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Posted By: Cranky Old Guy <crankyoldguy666@hotmail.com>
Date: 1/9/09 12:55
[/FONT]

In Response To: Still need the "Best of Posts" (PicPimp)
Please help... this is a true story and I need all the help I can get...​
My evil leader goat escaped out of the goat pen Wednesday, and jumped on the hood of my jeep, (saw another goat in the windshield) and butted out the windshield. He then jumped on my new 500 dollar canvas top and made a mess all over it. After he was bored with that, he decided that he could jump on the barn roof from the overhang that the jeep was under. My wife called me offshore and told me what had happened and asked me what she should do... I told her move the jeep, if he jumped down on the top he will go through it. I figured if he got hungry enough he would find his own way down...... I went home Saturday (week on week off) and that evil goat was still on the barn roof, squalling at the top of his lungs, up on the peak of the roof. All of the other goats had gathered around like he was some kind of messiah (it looked like the mountain scene from close encounters)... He did eat all the foliage from around the barn... the only positive aspect of this whole sorry state of affairs..... My barn roof is 35 feet high with a very steep angle, but is only made of thin sheet metal and 2x4's. I am 6'4 and weigh about 275 and would drop through like a rock so getting on the roof was not an option. The lowest edge is 10 feet from the ground, except for the overhang I park the jeep under.
Some Muslims in town have been buying goats from me recently and I figured that if I shot him, I could sell him to the heathens and get revenge all at the same time. Maybe even get enough cash to replace the windshield...​

Sent my son in for the SPAS and 2 OO buck shotshells....
I drew a bead in the ghost ring and BLAM.......
He spun around and around and landed half over each side of the peak of the d**n roof... This happened yesterday morning and he is starting to get ripe. I can't shoot him again as it will damage the roof.... I tried lassoing him.... throwing stuff at him..... etc.... I called the local VFD (I always send them their 25 dollar suggested donation) they laughed.... I don't have an extension ladder that will get me close enough, and I don't want to take the chance of sending one of my children up there...
My wife is pretty upset at this point and it is around a hundred deg. today and the mess is starting to drip down off the barn roof and goats don't smell good when they are alive...
help.........​

Tried 4 inch grapling hook with 2 lbs weight.... finally got it to hook a couple of times.... got about 3 lbs of goat down off roof.... I got out my pressure washer and flopped him around a little. It is a 2500PSI job and even on highest setting would not do much other than flop him around. He must be snagged on the stripping that covers the top where the sheep metal comes together. This is getting pretty gross...
The other goats are mumbling in low tones and leering at me malevolently.... Am going back to the VFD to borrow a long extension ladder.......​

Patsy dearest.... two things you avoid when you weigh 275 pounds are other people's rattan furniture.... and walking the beams...​
I borrowed a 20 ft. extension ladder from the VFD and set it up as close to the peak as possible. I glued together 2- 10' pipe joints of 1" PVC and threaded the rope through the pipe twice to form a lasso at one end, and tied a noose in it. After an hour or so of almost falling off... I managed to get him around his horns and tighten the rope by twisting it. I had a lot of rope left over.... so we managed to get the pipe off of the rope. I don't have any room behind the barn to pull him off.... so the rope was actually going over the peak to get to his head on the other side... (from the front of the barn). I tugged a little bit, and though it must have been a leverage problem because of the way it was going over the peak.... I pulled harder and that evil goat just would not budge.... I had been at it all day.... and was getting pretty upset at this point and made the final mistake of the day.... I unhinged the jeep windshield and lowered it down.... I removed the top and hung it over the clothesline (to be pressure washed later)... and backed the jeep in front of the barn.... I tied the hundred or so feet of rope to the jeep very securely and grinning like an idiot at my cleverness... put it in granny gear and took off...... It was about three seconds before the rope got taut... at which point 3 - 36' pieces of roofing metal came peeling down about halfway to the bottom and the goat catapaulted off pelting me with partially disintegrated goat carcass parts...
I am at a loss for words..... I always considered myself kind of an intellectual type..... and jeeez...people like me own guns....​

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LOL @ NormB! [thumbzup]

But since many electrical easements are located on Fed-owned land (USFS, BLM, et al), you would need a grazing permit for the goats, not to mention environmental impact studies to be completed on the areas to be grazed...then the greenies would howl & wail over the water necessary to keep the goats hydrated while they "grazed," it's for the children and future generations dontcha know (once it's drank it's gone forever....). And the greenhouse gases emitted by the goats post-grazing would rival those of cattle, and we know how all that gas causes even more CO2 to be emitted from the pieholes of the supposedly-educated environmental alarmists, and so on... Sounds like an ecological disaster in the making, might as well just leave the easements to nature and not stir up any hornet's nests....

There are some pretty wild and hilarious theories floating around the interwebs about the "real" reason for the power shutdown; the one about the underground power tunnels running between CA & UT crack me up the most.

Now back to our regular programming.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
LOL @ NormB! [thumbzup]

But since many electrical easements are located on Fed-owned land (USFS, BLM, et al), you would need a grazing permit for the goats, not to mention environmental impact studies to be completed on the areas to be grazed...then the greenies would howl & wail over the water necessary to keep the goats hydrated while they "grazed," it's for the children and future generations dontcha know (once it's drank it's gone forever....). And the greenhouse gases emitted by the goats post-grazing would rival those of cattle, and we know how all that gas causes even more CO2 to be emitted from the pieholes of the supposedly-educated environmental alarmists, and so on... Sounds like an ecological disaster in the making, might as well just leave the easements to nature and not stir up any hornet's nests....
There are some pretty wild and hilarious theories floating around the interwebs about the "real" reason for the power shutdown; the one about the underground power tunnels running between CA & UT crack me up the most.
Now back to our regular programming.
OK
Maybe the goats ain't gonnah work out......................

LEOK

We have some strong winds in Florida and I never seen a set of high tension wires drop, CA just never did any maintenance, spent all the money on administration and high dividends. Cut the dividend, fire the admins and start cutting trees and new services

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks