Thread: '42 GPW script Navy jeep

Thanks

Default '42 GPW script Navy jeep

Last May, I acquired a "restored" 1942 GPW script Navy jeep. Well, it's painted Navy gray anyway. I'm well aware that most of those "Navy" jeeps were acquired by "other means" so to speak. Anyway, even though it was restored, and a decent restoration it was, I still had lots of little issues to work out. But, it's pretty much done and I'm driving it now. My question of the day is; is it considered correct for the body and all related parts to be painted the Navy gray, but the frame and bumpers/running gear to be OD green? I have heard that both ways can be correct. On the plus side, it has the GPW serial numbered engine, and the frame and data plate numbers are matching. Overall, it is a nice restoration, and I got a really good deal on it. Being a Navy guy, I'm happy with it. Just wondering about the colors? I don't really want to have to paint all the running gear if I don't have to. Thoughts? Again, I realize that "Navy jeeps" were something of a conundrum because of how most were "acquired" back in the day. Can you say "midnight auto supply"........??
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1962 M422A1 Mighty Mite
    1953 M43 Air Force ambulance
    1942 GPW Navy script jeep
    Vietnam Vet, US Navy
    MVCCO and MVPA member

Farming
    Happily married 43 years

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,777 Times in 2,006 Posts

I think that is inaccurate. Navy would have painted everything visible gray. Probably not under the hood but for sure the wheels and protruding frame/bumper.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NDT For This Useful Post:

papabear (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Agreed that it is somewhat inaccurate. I guess it was whatever the restorer felt was right. I definitely plan to paint the wheels Navy gray. Still kind of on the fence as to the bumpers and visible parts. May go ahead and paint them too. I don't think I will go to the bother of painting the entire running gear. From what I know, the guys that would have "grabbed" one of these jeeps for their ship, etc., probably would have only given it a quick paint job so it looked like it belonged to them/the base or ship they were on?
    1962 M422A1 Mighty Mite
    Vietnam Vet, US Navy
    MVCCO and MVPA member

Farming
    Happily married 43 years

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,886 Times in 751 Posts

Completely grey looks better; grey body and OD green other visible parts looks a bit like a botch job. Nice jeep by the way
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Robo McDuff For This Useful Post:

Bill W (10-11-2019), papabear (10-11-2019)

Thanks

Nimitz-Navy_jeep.jpg Found on the net with Fleet Adm Nimitz.

11997517735_eef4d9d1fb_b.jpg Another from the net.
    Last edited by EO2NMCB; 10-11-2019 at 17:14.
    m35a2c
    m813
    m816
    m927
    m931a1
    m1009
    m1101
    m1102
    m1061a1
    m101a1
    m105a2 x2
    m416
    m116a2
    m116a3
    mep002 x2
    mep003 x2
    MVPA-24541

MVPA
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EO2NMCB View Post
    Nimitz-Navy_jeep.jpg Found on the net with Fleet Adm Nimitz.

11997517735_eef4d9d1fb_b.jpg Another from the net.
    Hi

I always like the Nimitz photo with the civilian tires on the Jeep. There is another image in a war time ad of a jeep strapped down a submarine deck while it is under water.

Cheers Phil

2 Star General
    Thanks

Very nice GPW.

The few that I have seen being in the Midwest, have been completely gray. Back in the 60's I seen one that was painted yellow over gray that I thought was really strange. If I remember right it was used as a CD vehicle?
    Belt Fed Multi Barrel Motor Motivated

Help From Above

GAU 8 See You Next Time

Sergeant
    Thanks

It is my understanding that all jeeps delivered under contract to the navy during ww2 were od green. And the few that were repainted gray were more or less a field modification and only “showing surfaces” were painted gray. Therefore your chassis remaining green would be correct. This has been discussed over on the G,so you might want to bring it up over there for the”experts” to respond.

Thanks

Ah yes, the ongoing questions regarding proper color and markings on a Navy jeep. As I read more, I find that "most" of the jeeps that wound up in Navy hands were either "given" to the Navy, were "commandeered" or were part of the Marines. Regarding the one Admiral Nimitz has (had) on the tires, I doubt they needed mud and snow tires in Hawaii! In also looking at the two jeeps in the pictures, it appears that the exposed parts were gray, while the frame and running gear were painted black? I think I can see where I'm going to go with mine.........paint the exposed items (the ones that everyone can see Navy gray, and the rest that are mostly hidden I think I'll leave the OD green, although I may try painting them black? The other thing that I have discovered that is incorrect on this jeep is the restorer painted a black star on the hood. I have since found out that Navy jeeps (or any equipment) did NOT have any stars on them. Looks like a hood repaint in the future. All this said, otherwise it is a good restoration, everything else (even the wiring) is correct.
    1962 M422A1 Mighty Mite
    Vietnam Vet, US Navy
    MVCCO and MVPA member

Farming
    Happily married 43 years