• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

'42 GPW script Navy jeep

TAKPAK

Last May, I acquired a "restored" 1942 GPW script Navy jeep. Well, it's painted Navy gray anyway. I'm well aware that most of those "Navy" jeeps were acquired by "other means" so to speak. Anyway, even though it was restored, and a decent restoration it was, I still had lots of little issues to work out. But, it's pretty much done and I'm driving it now. My question of the day is; is it considered correct for the body and all related parts to be painted the Navy gray, but the frame and bumpers/running gear to be OD green? I have heard that both ways can be correct. On the plus side, it has the GPW serial numbered engine, and the frame and data plate numbers are matching. Overall, it is a nice restoration, and I got a really good deal on it. Being a Navy guy, I'm happy with it. Just wondering about the colors? I don't really want to have to paint all the running gear if I don't have to. Thoughts? Again, I realize that "Navy jeeps" were something of a conundrum because of how most were "acquired" back in the day. Can you say "midnight auto supply"........??

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think that is inaccurate. Navy would have painted everything visible gray. Probably not under the hood but for sure the wheels and protruding frame/bumper.

TAKPAK

Agreed that it is somewhat inaccurate. I guess it was whatever the restorer felt was right. I definitely plan to paint the wheels Navy gray. Still kind of on the fence as to the bumpers and visible parts. May go ahead and paint them too. I don't think I will go to the bother of painting the entire running gear. From what I know, the guys that would have "grabbed" one of these jeeps for their ship, etc., probably would have only given it a quick paint job so it looked like it belonged to them/the base or ship they were on?

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Completely grey looks better; grey body and OD green other visible parts looks a bit like a botch job. Nice jeep by the way

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Very nice GPW.

The few that I have seen being in the Midwest, have been completely gray. Back in the 60's I seen one that was painted yellow over gray that I thought was really strange. If I remember right it was used as a CD vehicle?

diesel dave

It is my understanding that all jeeps delivered under contract to the navy during ww2 were od green. And the few that were repainted gray were more or less a field modification and only “showing surfaces” were painted gray. Therefore your chassis remaining green would be correct. This has been discussed over on the G,so you might want to bring it up over there for the”experts” to respond.

TAKPAK

Ah yes, the ongoing questions regarding proper color and markings on a Navy jeep. As I read more, I find that "most" of the jeeps that wound up in Navy hands were either "given" to the Navy, were "commandeered" or were part of the Marines. Regarding the one Admiral Nimitz has (had) on the tires, I doubt they needed mud and snow tires in Hawaii! In also looking at the two jeeps in the pictures, it appears that the exposed parts were gray, while the frame and running gear were painted black? I think I can see where I'm going to go with mine.........paint the exposed items (the ones that everyone can see Navy gray, and the rest that are mostly hidden I think I'll leave the OD green, although I may try painting them black? The other thing that I have discovered that is incorrect on this jeep is the restorer painted a black star on the hood. I have since found out that Navy jeeps (or any equipment) did NOT have any stars on them. Looks like a hood repaint in the future. All this said, otherwise it is a good restoration, everything else (even the wiring) is correct.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks