• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 fuel issue

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ Rusty.....so about 2000 gallons of refined oil to recover the cost, without factoring in the cost of the used oil, and energy cost to run a Laval as it has a good size heating element. I guess the remaining cost is where you get the oil, how much does it cost per gallon, how much of a "blend" are you going to use, (that would depend on viscosity, which is another tool to determine the blend) and most important, how much fuel do you burn a year. If you have a oil furnace in your house like a lot of remote residences up here have, or a commercial truck/owner operator business, I think the recovery would happen pretty quick. If you just own a couple F250's and a Deuce, then you may have to sell some fuel to recover the costs. Your state may also have "regs" that might consider the sludge as some kind of hazardous waste and charge a fee for disposal. Some states do not allow you to sell fuel without a permit/license. Then there is the "low sulfur" pollution issues too, that would get the revenuers interested in what you are doing. You got a whole bunch of factors to consider.

NAILED IT!

Rusty, a centrifuge is an excellent way to remove water & other contaminants from UMO, as well as solids and other crap. There are all kinds of ways to make your own, youtube and the interwebs are loaded with home-made examples. I made one from an electric motor and used auto trans torque converter. And I still ran the remaining UMO through various stages of fitration down to 1 micron (any lower than that was just too expensive and hard to find at the time).

After seeing what the centrifuge removed from what I thought was fairly clean UMO/used diesel/used fuel, I'll never reutilize any used fuel/oil without first running it through my centrifuge.

I've even tried (unsuccessfully) to convert used vegetable oil to biodiesel; the hardest part is removing water/moisture ("dewatering")....I couldn't accomplish this without a substantial investment of $$$ and time, so I abandoned this route.

Davidb56 is spot-on about cost effectiveness of reutilizing UMO/WMO or other substances. Even if you get it for free but have to pick it up yourself, the time it takes to do so is $$$ out of your pocket, as well as the mileage (wear & tear) and fuel burned to get it. I used to be licensed in Nevada as a Non-Commercial Biodiesel Manufacturer (Personal Use ONLY), and even so I had to invest in OSHA-compliant catch basins to store my drums on, OSHA-compliant clean-up kits had to readily available, the setup could only be stored on one side of my house out of the sun, and then had to comply with Fire Marshal regulations on how much could be stored in a residential area (as well as notify local fire stations that I had HazMat on site, luckily I didn't have to post HazMat placards since I was non-commercial). I ended up storing excess in the back of my Deuce and then truck it up to my property out of state for long-term storage.

Once you start down this rabbit hole and are determined to do it correctly, it will drain your bank account pretty quickly, as David points out above. I am now searching for a suitable oil-burning furnace to use in my shop to use up the remaining stocks of UMO/WMO I have on hand, and I will still run it all through the centriguge and filtration setups before putting it in the furnace tank. It's more cost-effective and a better long-term solution to simply use pump diesel in your Deuce tank.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look .bow . Didn't. Know . I. Was. In. A . classroom. I. Was. In. A. Hurry. And. It's. This. Not .trhis. when. Talking. Trash . Make. Sure . yours. Is. Correct thanks. have a nice day!
Don't let it discourage you from Steel Soldiers and yea sometimes it's easer to read. I to have been guilty of running on a sentence and other grammar mistakes. There are often small mistakes in "grammar" that are over looked here but are not correct grammar.

Attachments

Last edited:

rustystud

NAILED IT!

Rusty, a centrifuge is an excellent way to remove water & other contaminants from UMO, as well as solids and other crap. There are all kinds of ways to make your own, youtube and the interwebs are loaded with home-made examples. I made one from an electric motor and used auto trans torque converter. And I still ran the remaining UMO through various stages of fitration down to 1 micron (any lower than that was just too expensive and hard to find at the time).

After seeing what the centrifuge removed from what I thought was fairly clean UMO/used diesel/used fuel, I'll never reutilize any used fuel/oil without first running it through my centrifuge.

I've even tried (unsuccessfully) to convert used vegetable oil to biodiesel; the hardest part is removing water/moisture ("dewatering")....I couldn't accomplish this without a substantial investment of $$$ and time, so I abandoned this route.

Davidb56 is spot-on about cost effectiveness of reutilizing UMO/WMO or other substances. Even if you get it for free but have to pick it up yourself, the time it takes to do so is $$$ out of your pocket, as well as the mileage (wear & tear) and fuel burned to get it. I used to be licensed in Nevada as a Non-Commercial Biodiesel Manufacturer (Personal Use ONLY), and even so I had to invest in OSHA-compliant catch basins to store my drums on, OSHA-compliant clean-up kits had to readily available, the setup could only be stored on one side of my house out of the sun, and then had to comply with Fire Marshal regulations on how much could be stored in a residential area (as well as notify local fire stations that I had HazMat on site, luckily I didn't have to post HazMat placards since I was non-commercial). I ended up storing excess in the back of my Deuce and then truck it up to my property out of state for long-term storage.

Once you start down this rabbit hole and are determined to do it correctly, it will drain your bank account pretty quickly, as David points out above. I am now searching for a suitable oil-burning furnace to use in my shop to use up the remaining stocks of UMO/WMO I have on hand, and I will still run it all through the centriguge and filtration setups before putting it in the furnace tank. It's more cost-effective and a better long-term solution to simply use pump diesel in your Deuce tank.
After considering all you and David wrote it doesn't make much sense to try and use old engine oil. Now if it was the end of the world scenario I guess it would be OK, but until then I'll just stick with pump Diesel !
Thanks guys.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I have to agree on the end of the world thing. I had a 600 gal. Beta fuel tank I got from GL. It was full of WMO and diesel for bug out plans. Got to thinking about it and gave the tank and all contents away for free. Since I did not have a containment system build around it was a little worried about it ever leaking. Give me Diesel please and if you can't ruck it F&$K it for bug out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks