• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 fuel issue

706james815

M35a2 I mixed 3 gallons of oil to about 25 gallons of diesel now I have a stuttering problem while driving lack of power and rpms max out at 20 instead of the usual 26 any ideas

FloridaAKM

I tried to mix unused multiweight oil into the diesel fuel with the same results that the OP posted about, same results as his. After running it for 50 miles in the 35-40mph range (anything above 40, made it start missing again) , I stopped for fuel & put in 15 gallons of fresh diesel fuel. This new fuel thinned out the mix & the truck ran great for the next 50 miles home. I never mix UNUSED motor oil into the fuel tank again & the truck runs great now. Fuel filters are changed every few years & they are nowhere near as clogged looking as the ones the truck came with. Used motor oil, goes to the recycle facility only; never into the fuel tank. Injection pumps & fuel injectors are @ risk if you use it for fuel.

rustystud

M35a2 I mixed 3 gallons of oil to about 25 gallons of diesel now I have a stuttering problem while driving lack of power and rpms max out at 20 instead of the usual 26 any ideas
When we mixed in engine oil to the fuel back when I was in the Marines, we mixed it with gasoline not diesel. That way you had a mixture more like diesel in the end.

706james815

Thank you very much for your info Didn't think about that but I am thankful you guys are here worked on lot of cars and trucks when I worked at shop and school but this is the first time with a multi it has some different components I've not felt with like airpack I be and the wiring looks like it would be fun havent had to mess without yet but sure I will oh and went to the parts store to see about new filters and being these trucks are so popular in the civilian world they have to order them if I can figure out how to post pictures I'll put some up of the truck I've been driving it everyday since I got it

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is best to use only diesel fuel and stop trying to save pennies by mixing in used engine oil. Used engine oil has microscopic metal particles in it and other contaminants you cannot be sure the fuel filters are capable of removing. These contaminants, under the heat and pressure of the firing stroke. get deposited on the injector nozzles eventually inhibiting their correct operation. Just not worth it to me.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
For years I ran used oil in mine. Yes it may have ruined some injectors and maybe the injection pump, but the money I saved was MANY times more than what I spent on replacement parts.

I did make sure it was filtered before it went in my tank, not sure what others are doing, but it has been way more economical for me in the long run.

706james815

The oil I used was out of my 10 f250 I try and change it every 4000 miles I did run through a filter It may not have been small enough I do need to clean the bottom of the tank thank you for your time and help

dmetalmiki

Thank you didn't know if I may have over mixed after I did some reading on here some are running way more then I am
Please punctuate...I read trhis 4 times before understanding the idiom.

>Thank you. Didn't know if I may have over mixed after I did some reading on here. Some are running way more then I am<

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I told you all before. Whatever you put in the tank has to get all mixed up and leave thru a better filter than the truck original filters are.
That centrifugal pump will do it. A Bradley pump is even better thru a 3 micron filter.
Why ever take chances with fuel.
filterpumpjob IMG_0296.jpg
Runs even better with 50% new ATF and 50% new motor oil.

Last edited:

706james815

Look .bow . Didn't. Know . I. Was. In. A . classroom. I. Was. In. A. Hurry. And. It's. This. Not .trhis. when. Talking. Trash . Make. Sure . yours. Is. Correct thanks. have a nice day!

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please try your best to follow the site rules when posting.

Here are a couple to work on.

• Do not post unfriendly or insulting comments or replies to other members., This can start unpleasant exchanges which no one wants to read in an otherwise valuable topic. If someone has posted a rude comment to/about the user, the user itself is asked to ignore the remark and report the offending post for review and deletion.
• Do not post in all CAPS or in giant run-on sentences without punctuation. Do not post as if texting and do avoid the use of texting abbreviations. We are not the grammar police but we want everyone to easily read your post in at least 8th grade English. It is extra work to post proper sentences from a smartphone but the result will be greatly appreciated. Please do your best to use capitalization, proper spelling and punctuation. It makes it easier for everyone to read! Note: this is a RULE, and is enforceable.

rustystud

For years I ran used oil in mine. Yes it may have ruined some injectors and maybe the injection pump, but the money I saved was MANY times more than what I spent on replacement parts.

I did make sure it was filtered before it went in my tank, not sure what others are doing, but it has been way more economical for me in the long run.
I'm still debating whether to buy a "centrifuge" for all my used oil or not. A good centrifuge can remove almost all the small micro-particles of metal that can ruin a injection pump or the injectors. It's just the initial cost. I've found a really good centrifuge that can remove the particles will run about $5,000.00 . I can buy quite a bit of diesel with that. Then again, once you have the centrifuge you can process all your old oil forever ! or until you die. Which ever comes first. That can add up to quite a bit of money !

davidb56

@ Rusty.....so about 2000 gallons of refined oil to recover the cost, without factoring in the cost of the used oil, and energy cost to run a Laval as it has a good size heating element. I guess the remaining cost is where you get the oil, how much does it cost per gallon, how much of a "blend" are you going to use, (that would depend on viscosity, which is another tool to determine the blend) and most important, how much fuel do you burn a year. If you have a oil furnace in your house like a lot of remote residences up here have, or a commercial truck/owner operator business, I think the recovery would happen pretty quick. If you just own a couple F250's and a Deuce, then you may have to sell some fuel to recover the costs. Your state may also have "regs" that might consider the sludge as some kind of hazardous waste and charge a fee for disposal. Some states do not allow you to sell fuel without a permit/license. Then there is the "low sulfur" pollution issues too, that would get the revenuers interested in what you are doing. You got a whole bunch of factors to consider.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks