• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pinion brake?? yes I can..... but would it be worth it compared to...

coachgeo

since have installed a middle axle off of a 6x6 as my rear axle on M1078 A0...... leaving me with a spinning pinion in the rear..... I can put a pinion brake on it someday... if it would be of any value compared to an engine brake for example.

course I could also put an engine brake on the engine.....

engine brake wears (though maybe only slightly) an expensive engine while pinion brake only wears brake pads and a rotor(?). Not sure though how one might could get the pinon brake to activate like an engine brake??

Open to thoughts on this potential very in distant future project

ramdough

I appreciate your willingness to think outside the box, but I would stop spending money on engineering solutions to problems that already have proven solutions and work on getting your camper done.

Just my friendly suggestion. I have to keep reminding myself KISS too.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachgeo

I appreciate your willingness to think outside the box, but I would stop spending money on engineering solutions to problems that already have proven solutions and work on getting your camper done.
Just my friendly suggestion. I have to keep reminding myself KISS too.

Good luck.
LOL..... put that up while bored...... literally waiting on paint to dry. (primer that round)

But thanks.. this good advice came as was painting, doing rust fix and prevention around windshield before it gets put back in on Monday. Windshield on it's own had became partially out already so had it pulled and left out few days so could fix up the area. Glad did it. According to Scott Dewitt the outside bottom corners are drains and whom ever assembled this body had plugged passenger side drain with body puddy. Drivers side was not. Few other items in this area is body puddy covered at factory too. Those made since.

back to work..... little more sanding etc... then will call it good.

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Ok, so you put an axle in your 1078 that has an air operated power divider on it correct When parking on any type of incline the power divider should be engaged, so hopefully you dont have any type of air loss otherwise that could suck if the truck is a little heavy on an incline. At that point a pinion brake would not do you any good anyway even for parking.

Air brakes are strong. If you do not like the wedge type since they do have their issues then swap to S cams

coachgeo

Ok, so you put an axle in your 1078 that has an air operated power divider on it correct When parking on any type of incline the power divider should be engaged, so hopefully you dont have any type of air loss ....
to work as a single axle we locked the air solenoid mechanically..... Otherwise the LMTV would go nowhere unless in Mode.... and then it would be only front wheel drive. (unless we put air to solenoid).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks