• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Where do you draw the line $$$

Daves86

Have a Ramsey Winch that is not working.
View attachment 779261
Can hear the solenoids click but no movement on the cable. Also cannot freewheel the cable. Found a leak on a cover for the worm gear. Needless to say this one is having issues.
View attachment 779263

So back to the real questions. At what dollar point do you replace instead of repair? I have generally thought that point is half the cost of new (if it's $1000 new, rebuild if it cost less than $500). But I'm not seeing a lot of Ramsey winches on these trucks so I'm wondering if rebuilding makes sense no matter the cost. Or is the reason for the scarcity of these winches due to a quality issue that makes them not worth rebuilding?
Your thoughts are appreciated.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always color outside the lines.

Most of us do.

Depends on on your finances and your ultimate goals.

Buy a new one and keep this for parts or buy a new one and sell the old for parts. Selling stuff offsets expenditures.

Everyone has has a different line. You need to find your own.

Best advice I can offer.

T

P.S. I can’t get your images to load

dmetalmiki

That looks expensive.
But as in all repairs the cost is the result of strip down and examine.
You just never know which way the cost is going..Up or down until then.
That break for instance.."I know a man that can fix it for a quid!".
Then again, If you don't....

papakb

There's no such thing as a free ride when it comes to HMMWVs. You have to accept the fact that EVERYTHING is expensive and nothing is going to get cheaper as we go down the line.

Daves86

There's no such thing as a free ride when it comes to HMMWVs. You have to accept the fact that EVERYTHING is expensive and nothing is going to get cheaper as we go down the line.
Wasn't expecting a free ride (considering what I paid to get the truck), more seeing where folks thoughts are on repair vs replace. Also seeing if there are any opinions on the Ramsey winches. Other hobby is HD (short for Hundred Dollars) so I'm used to sticker shock for parts.

DREDnot

I would look into fixing. Im partial to ramsey winches as they never let me down when I used them on junk yard car haulers for years

Daves86

Thanks DREDnot, that's only the second positive I have heard on the Ramsey winch. Spent the day going to some local shops looking for someone that had experience repairing winches and it seems we have become the disposable society I keep hearing about. Because it's my first winch project I may buy a new Ramsey 12000 and take my time repairing this one. Biggest hesitation is no experience with winches. Thanks to all for the input, it is always appreciated. Gotta learn somewhere.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the pic looks like it overheated. If that's the case then it's probably toast (pun intended). Fixable, but again, at what cost?

cucvmule

collector of stuff

Supply and demand. I will not gage by cost so much as availability of replacement parts, and quality of product.

The HMMWV is available in increasing numbers. The prices I believe are artificially inflated still. I will try and purchase more than one truck, as to have extra parts when needed, when I need I have. But I have a place to store vehicles or parts.

Economics for repair and or replace for me are random. Time will usually dictate how I decide what to do. Cost will be next with dependability of part, machine. I do not want to be in a place to where a breakdown will occur and not be able to repair or return to home base.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You won’t know for sure until you unbutton and see the internals for yourself. Looks like you might be correct about motor being fried BUT open the unit to be sure IMHO

Daves86

Well I got the winch pulled after draining the fluids
Winch out of truck.JPGWater from winch 1.JPGI did say fluids (water in the lube)
the real fun was not seeing these screws because someone painted over them
Countersink winch mount screw .JPGCountersink winch mount holes .JPG of course that was after finding this one Stupid place for a bolt.JPG hidden behind the drive gear.
At least now I can get it apart and see how bad it is.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks DREDnot, that's only the second positive I have heard on the Ramsey winch. Spent the day going to some local shops looking for someone that had experience repairing winches and it seems we have become the disposable society I keep hearing about. Because it's my first winch project I may buy a new Ramsey 12000 and take my time repairing this one. Biggest hesitation is no experience with winches. Thanks to all for the input, it is always appreciated. Gotta learn somewhere.
One may have more than one winch on their truck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks