• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Volt Meter Bulb Socket Question

Zeus51

I was pulling my dash bezel earlier today and when I twisted the light socket out of the stock volt meter, the white wire came out of the bulb socket. So of course I pulled the light bulb out. And a spring and small copper piece fell out. Since I don't think this is in the manuals, I am resorting to asking. What should I do? The volt meter is fine, my issue is just the volt meter bulb socket wiring. Is this something I can pick up at a radio shack or something of the equivalent? Can I buy the bulb socket somewhere?

cucvrus

You could push the wire back thru the hole in the socket. Put the spring on the wire and carefully open the copper tab/button and solder it back on carefully. Problem solved. Common problem with that socket. If you really went wild you could buy a new voltmeter and it would come with a new light and socket. Good Luck. Report back please. You can do it.

nyoffroad

I had a similier thing happen and somehow lost the spring and considering the bulb was bad already I just replaced the whole thing with a side marker socket like on the front fender. Just used the bench grinder and carefully ground the plastic socket down to where it fit into the hole and used a 194 bulb.

Zeus51

Both are excellent suggestions. I appreciate your time. I think I’m going to see if I can source a new bulb socket. I’ve been looking and no one lists the size of the intended hole. But the hole in the back of the volt meter is 5/8”. At least it’s a start. If I’m unsuccessful, I think I’ll try the grinding down option since I have no experience with soldering.

DeadParrot

I currently have mine out chasing starter relay wiring issues. That socket looks like a standard gauge light size that is found in many aftermarket below the dash gauges. I think you can find a replacement in the generic lights and sockets section of a parts house.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Zues51, do you have any access to salvage yards in the area? If so if they will let you look around and search for a suitable replacement you may find just what you are looking for.

Zeus51

I ordered it through summit. It was also available through Jegs. It was around $5. I bundled it in with another purchase for free shipping.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks