• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military vehicle. radio group

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They start out with fines. I don’t recall the dollar amount but you get penalized for every infraction. Basically, every time you hit the transmit button, you commit an infraction. They get really grouchy about “their” band widths.
What's the consequence of transmitting without a license? Fine and prison-time?

Who's the "cop", the FCC?

Crapgame

They start out with fines. I don’t recall the dollar amount but you get penalized for every infraction. Basically, every time you hit the transmit button, you commit an infraction. They get really grouchy about “their” band widths.
What do they have, RDF trucks driving around neighborhoods like the Gestapo searching for OSS spy radio transmissions?

I was in the HHC Heavy Mortar Plt Fire Direction Center, handled radios all the time, but have difficulty memorizing stuff these days to take the test. I can remember .mil Radio Operator Procedures, though on the RT-524/442 Aux and dismount use of PRC-77 with KY-57 VINSON, just not what I ate for breakfast this past week.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good question. I don’t know the answer but I pretty sure they don’t have the WWII spy vs spy radio tracking.

What do they have, RDF trucks driving around neighborhoods like the Gestapo searching for OSS spy radio transmissions?

I was in the HHC Heavy Mortar Plt Fire Direction Center, handled radios all the time, but have difficulty memorizing stuff these days to take the test. I can remember .mil Radio Operator Procedures, though on the RT-524/442 Aux and dismount use of PRC-77 with KY-57 VINSON, just not what I ate for breakfast this past week.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Well... now that you bring up that question....

Uncle Sam's various intelligence agencies HAVE decommissioned several satellites which are still in orbit and functional. The most well known (at least by it's products) are the KEYHOLE family of Photo-Recon Satellites which are now generating the unclassified satellite view images we enjoy on numerous MAPS programs and apps, as well as the more powerful GOOGLE EARTH package.
The original MILITARY GPS system has been upgraded as well. Early orbital components have also been decommissioned and are now "re-purposed" with their retirement from the "Global Grid".
Thermal Sensing Satellites have also evolved from military missions to a whole spectrum of free-enterprise priorities.... and PROFIT.

So.... with that bit of knowledge....

What in the world makes anyone in this modern world choose to be ignorant of the readily presumable probability that retired orbital military radio intercept assets have not also been made available to non-Defense Department agencies such as the FCC and/or privateers for whatever manner of use the mind can imagine????

This is NOT to be inferred as fear mongering nor conspiracy theory propagation, but simply a reality check for anyone whose head might be in the sand concerning surplus government technology.
It ain't no MEN IN BLACK thing here. Just opportunists employing their career skills acquired during Uncle Sam's useful life of those very same assets.... And when a system is retired, those expert in their use CREATE for themselves a "retirement plan" worthy of the BIG BUCKS.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Ga rally would be a great place for this, over 100 vehicles ton of folks, and 1000's of acres of off roading.
We tried. Several years with no luck. Other than the one time I contacted Drew out in his HMMWV from the command tent not much happened. I would have like for to do something. We had a thread with frequencies to use and everything. Nothing.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

The cop is the FCC and not some spook agency. Keep up with the ARRL and you will see various scofflaws popping up the news from time to time.

I'm just guessing but the fine would start in the neighborhood of $25,000 if you ignore them. I believe they will warn you but maybe not.

Odds of it happening are slim though as they cut a lot of enforcement out. :-(

D6T

Well... now that you bring up that question....

Uncle Sam's various intelligence agencies HAVE decommissioned several satellites which are still in orbit and functional. The most well known (at least by it's products) are the KEYHOLE family of Photo-Recon Satellites which are now generating the unclassified satellite view images we enjoy on numerous MAPS programs and apps, as well as the more powerful GOOGLE EARTH package.
The original MILITARY GPS system has been upgraded as well. Early orbital components have also been decommissioned and are now "re-purposed" with their retirement from the "Global Grid".
Thermal Sensing Satellites have also evolved from military missions to a whole spectrum of free-enterprise priorities.... and PROFIT.

So.... with that bit of knowledge....

What in the world makes anyone in this modern world choose to be ignorant of the readily presumable probability that retired orbital military radio intercept assets have not also been made available to non-Defense Department agencies such as the FCC and/or privateers for whatever manner of use the mind can imagine????

This is NOT to be inferred as fear mongering nor conspiracy theory propagation, but simply a reality check for anyone whose head might be in the sand concerning surplus government technology.
It ain't no MEN IN BLACK thing here. Just opportunists employing their career skills acquired during Uncle Sam's useful life of those very same assets.... And when a system is retired, those expert in their use CREATE for themselves a "retirement plan" worthy of the BIG BUCKS.
Some may scoff at this, but it perfectly explains some things I am aware of. This has nothing to do with my job, rather as an amateur radio operator who's been around someone who used to do DF work for the FCC and some changes he mentioned.

Another Ahab

Well, ColdWarrior, it's maybe not so much as "choosing to be ignorant", as plain not knowing:

- It's hard to know what you don't know

You know?!

But thanks for the inside news here. It sure is interesting.

:beer:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, ColdWarrior, it's maybe not so much as "choosing to be ignorant", as plain not knowing:

- It's hard to know what you don't know

You know?!

But thanks for the inside news here. It sure is interesting.

:beer:
Ah, brother Ahab!
Thank you for pointing out my Faux Pas. My manners were below standards.

I apologize if that offended anyone. Most sincerely, please forgive me.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We tried. Several years with no luck. Other than the one time I contacted Drew out in his HMMWV from the command tent not much happened. I would have like for to do something. We had a thread with frequencies to use and everything. Nothing.
Yep, we gave it a serious try a couple of years in a row. Report is here:

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?53275-Commo-Gear-for-the-GA-Rally

The last entry (number 77) is a summary but the whole thread would be good background info to see the "plan".

Activity sort of sputtered to a halt from lack of participation from those requesting comms. But we hams had fun, and still do when we decide to set up and do it!

Bob
WB4ETT

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good information, thank you. I have a half a dozen or so “brick” radios. I picked them up at a yard sale dirt cheap. In order to legally use them, I had to get a GMRS(?) license. It was not expensive, it was good for 5 years and I didn’t need to take a test to get it. What it did was make it legal to use my radios on my property legally. I also have a PRC something or another radio. I have a backpack model and a vehicle based radio. I’ll go the same route for a license ‘cause I don’t want the consequences of doing something wrong.

I am not sure if this was addressed or not, NOTHING the military ever used is legal on GRMS frequencies, (I don't have the info right now but the radio must be certified under section blabla part blabla) there is NO license available for any military radio EXCEPT those that will transmit on Amateur frequencies and then only IF you have an amateur license with privileges on those frequencies, for the most part any type of modulation wide or narrow is legal on Amateur frequencies, with the exception no encryption of any kind is allowed.

Now I admit the FCC has been too busy playing politics until recently to police the frequencies but the fine can go as high as $10,000 per day of violation.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All good information, thank you. I have a half a dozen or so “brick” radios. I picked them up at a yard sale dirt cheap. In order to legally use them, I had to get a GMRS(?) license. It was not expensive, it was good for 5 years and I didn’t need to take a test to get it. What it did was make it legal to use my radios on my property legally. I also have a PRC something or another radio. I have a backpack model and a vehicle based radio. I’ll go the same route for a license ‘cause I don’t want the consequences of doing something wrong.

I am not sure if this was addressed or not, NOTHING the military ever used is legal on GRMS frequencies, (I don't have the info right now but the radio must be certified under section blabla part blabla) there is NO license available for any military radio EXCEPT those that will transmit on Amateur frequencies and then only IF you have an amateur license with privileges on those frequencies, for the most part any type of modulation wide or narrow is legal on Amateur frequencies, with the exception no encryption of any kind is allowed.

Now I admit the FCC has been too busy playing politics until recently to police the frequencies but the fine can go as high as $10,000 per day of violation.
So let me get this straight. My radios, which are ex-military and were approved for use by the FCC, are not legal to operate in accordance with FCC regs? Doesn’t make sense...

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So let me get this straight. My radios, which are ex-military and were approved for use by the FCC, are not legal to operate in accordance with FCC regs? Doesn’t make sense...
Since when does anything from the gooberment have to make sense LOL. FCC type acceptance of the radio equipment, and the CFR rules and regs defining ALLOWED usage, have little in common. One is done by engineers (hopefully) and the other is done by politicians (influenced by their income sources).

Just because a radio is capable of an operation does not mean it's permitted.

Bet most of the older military radio equipment we get was not type accepted. Does anyone know for sure?

SSGHillbilly

Politicians don’t go to prison so why should we??? Unless your really abusing the system & causing others problems I doubt anyone ones going to catch you by keying up your Mike for s few seconds. I’m not condoning to do so but just looking at reality. There is so much other crime out there they can’t even keep up with.
im sure the most would be a fine. They want money $ $ they could care less about much Else.
the best thing is to see what it takes to get operators going. Maybe there could even be some lobbying to congress for historical military radio preservation freedom.
A group could look into certain frequency wave lengths or designated geographical areas like where the Rally’s accuse or just during certain times of the year that they could be allowed to be operated by registered group members. Just some ideas, thats where it all starts.

papakb

Almost any radio manual you might need is already available on the RadioNerds site. There's a link to it in this forum. I've been sending ,pdf manuals to Chris for years now and know he has significantly more available than the ones shown on the website. If you don't see what your looking for there just send him a PM and ask.

SSGHillbilly

The Ga rally would be a great place for this, over 100 vehicles ton of folks, and 1000's of acres of off roading. It's held in October just a week ago. In April is a good rally at Denton Farm park just north of Charlotte N.C., there was a guy there last year with an awesome collection of field radios.
yes that sounds like great idea. I’ve became a fan of watching the ( Tactical Repair - youtube channel by Garrett, he also did a video or two of the Ga. rally. I really want & plan on making it there. It’s a big haul for me though.
may just go in my POV verses the Deuce. Worried about breaking down on a long trip. Unless I convoy with someone. I really do hope to hook up with you folks down there.

microjeep

In Memorial
In Memorial
yes that sounds like great idea. I’ve became a fan of watching the ( Tactical Repair - youtube channel by Garrett, he also did a video or two of the Ga. rally. I really want & plan on making it there. It’s a big haul for me though.
may just go in my POV verses the Deuce. Worried about breaking down on a long trip. Unless I convoy with someone. I really do hope to hook up with you folks down there.
see next post, trying to post from phone,

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, Dwight and I were messing around one weekend after checking the main radio out on the regular frequencies, so we went up to 11 meters and started listening while pointed at various points of the compass. We picked up a strong signal about 61.5 degrees east of north and called out to him. It did not take him long to start boasting about his linear amp, since Dwight had said we must be able to communicate because of skip. The guy remarked that we were quite clear also, so we told him we had a 10KW Collins driving a log-periodic antenna array on a rotating tower. He then asked if we were 'afraid of the Feds', so Dwight keyed 'We are the feds.' Complete silence for about a minute or so, then very faintly some voices saying in effect "We hope you guys catch him." The guy was in Rhode Island, we were in western Maryland at a facility owned by the US Navy and operated by a joint service command we were part of. What I was doing there is not quite as secret as our Chaplain's service, and while a lot of my secrets have been declassified in the past 48 years, I don't have anything in writing from my old unit as to exactly WHAT details I can and cannot share. Many of the sites, but not all, I worked at have been 'repurposed' by other agencies in the last two decades, just as the satellites have been. If you are curious and you look at the current DA PAM 670-1, figure 20-67, you can probably fill in some of the other details of my story.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks