Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Military vehicle. radio group

Sergeant
    Thanks

[QUOTE=jeffhuey1n;2246198]All good information, thank you. I have a half a dozen or so “brick” radios. I picked them up at a yard sale dirt cheap. In order to legally use them, I had to get a GMRS(?) license. It was not expensive, it was good for 5 years and I didn’t need to take a test to get it. What it did was make it legal to use my radios on my property legally. I also have a PRC something or another radio. I have a backpack model and a vehicle based radio. I’ll go the same route for a license ‘cause I don’t want the consequences of doing something wrong.

I am not sure if this was addressed or not, NOTHING the military ever used is legal on GRMS frequencies, (I don't have the info right now but the radio must be certified under section blabla part blabla) there is NO license available for any military radio EXCEPT those that will transmit on Amateur frequencies and then only IF you have an amateur license with privileges on those frequencies, for the most part any type of modulation wide or narrow is legal on Amateur frequencies, with the exception no encryption of any kind is allowed.

Now I admit the FCC has been too busy playing politics until recently to police the frequencies but the fine can go as high as $10,000 per day of violation.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mogman For This Useful Post:

Another Ahab (11-18-2019), tennmogger (11-18-2019), USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-16-2019)

Thanks

[QUOTE=Mogman;2251254]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhuey1n View Post
    All good information, thank you. I have a half a dozen or so “brick” radios. I picked them up at a yard sale dirt cheap. In order to legally use them, I had to get a GMRS(?) license. It was not expensive, it was good for 5 years and I didn’t need to take a test to get it. What it did was make it legal to use my radios on my property legally. I also have a PRC something or another radio. I have a backpack model and a vehicle based radio. I’ll go the same route for a license ‘cause I don’t want the consequences of doing something wrong.

I am not sure if this was addressed or not, NOTHING the military ever used is legal on GRMS frequencies, (I don't have the info right now but the radio must be certified under section blabla part blabla) there is NO license available for any military radio EXCEPT those that will transmit on Amateur frequencies and then only IF you have an amateur license with privileges on those frequencies, for the most part any type of modulation wide or narrow is legal on Amateur frequencies, with the exception no encryption of any kind is allowed.

Now I admit the FCC has been too busy playing politics until recently to police the frequencies but the fine can go as high as $10,000 per day of violation.
    So let me get this straight. My radios, which are ex-military and were approved for use by the FCC, are not legal to operate in accordance with FCC regs? Doesn’t make sense...
    3 each M35A2's 2 WO/W, 1 W/W:
    1972 M35A2 WO/W “Toys For Tots”, aka “Armadillo”
    1972 M35A2 WO/W “Tribute to Lt Col Ken Bourland”, aka “Warthog”
    1970 M35A2 W/W “War Wagon”, Vietnam War Gun Truck Tribute
    1 each M59 gasser dump truck
    2 each M211's 1 W/W, 1WO/W
    1 each M52A2 tractor
    1 each M1009
    1 each M37, with Dodge poly 318, hydraulic clutch
    1 each G506 Fire truck “Sparky”
    USMC/USAF

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffhuey1n For This Useful Post:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior (11-18-2019)

4 Star General
    Thanks

[QUOTE=jeffhuey1n;2251498]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogman View Post

So let me get this straight. My radios, which are ex-military and were approved for use by the FCC, are not legal to operate in accordance with FCC regs? Doesn’t make sense...
    Since when does anything from the gooberment have to make sense LOL. FCC type acceptance of the radio equipment, and the CFR rules and regs defining ALLOWED usage, have little in common. One is done by engineers (hopefully) and the other is done by politicians (influenced by their income sources).

Just because a radio is capable of an operation does not mean it's permitted.

Bet most of the older military radio equipment we get was not type accepted. Does anyone know for sure?
    1952 M-38
    LST-178 Lube and Service Trailer
    M-1082 LMTV Trailer
    2 x M-105 trailer, bare
    M-105A2 with sides, bows
    'old' Onan 115 v radar power generator, 4 cyl boxer engine
    2 x S-250 Shelter, 318 shelter
    1957 Unimog 404 flatbed, French NATO (Germany)
    1965 Unimog 404 radio truck (German Army)
    1967 Unimog 404 flatbed project truck
    3 x Unimog 406's
    1988 Unimog U-1300L with 10' NCO Alaskan Camper
    1968 Haflinger bug-eye US version but pre-Pathfinder.
    1994 M-1078 LMTV with 10' NCO Alaskan Camper
    1995 M-1078 LMTV

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tennmogger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,226 Times in 5,994 Posts

[QUOTE=Mogman;2251254]
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhuey1n View Post

M35A2 w/Winch SOLD

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Another Ahab For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4