• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M915A1 Build Thread

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always liiked the M915, and it looks like you got a good one. Do you think you'll miss the 6x6 drive?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Always liiked the M915, and it looks like you got a good one. Do you think you'll miss the 6x6 drive?
Working on acquiring a 920 and maybe a 916. Or just donor to refurb what ive got. Had not had 6x6 on my 923 in awhile

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Replaced the leaking fan clutch with a new one. Installed new belts while i was in there as well. Replaced the supply air lines for the shutter stat. I will be replacing that thing with a thermal switch and solenoid for automatic and manual operation of the fan.

Belt numbers for reference:
Alternator : 9451 @ oreillys
Fan × 2: TR28463 at Oreillys
Water pump : 5060436 Dayco

Installed a new headlight switch with a Borg Warner # S440
Changed the oil and filters along with the fuel, coolant, and transmission filter and ran the grease gun on it.

Installed some small but powerful LED lights I got from the donkey.

Also installed a vent for forced air to the intake

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Installed some JW Speaker LEDs i got from The Donkey's garage of military parts. Took alot of amps off of the headlight switch.

Had a blower motor go out while in Georgia. So i gotta replace that. As well as the alternator is on the fritz. Not charging on the 24v side and spiking badly on the 12v side with a hard load. Will put the standard Cummins 24v alternator on it and add a bussman equalizer. I do worry about the surge from the jake power so i will have to isolate that power side i believe.

Going to install standard military turns and tails as well. I may even look at the military light switch swap. Need a harness plug to work with then.

Logged 1200mi Fri Sat Sun

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Be careful that pos box hanging off the back of the alternator will catch fire.
Yea i ended up cutting the belt today cause it was spiking and overloading the belt. Screwing in the fuel screw and turning the truck power off unless needed to make the trip

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup spiking is advance warning of about to catch fire. You can remove the transformer rectifier box and be left with a perfectly good and reliable 12 volt alternator.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Installed some JW Speaker LEDs i got from The Donkey's garage of military parts. Took alot of amps off of the headlight switch.

Had a blower motor go out while in Georgia. So i gotta replace that. As well as the alternator is on the fritz. Not charging on the 24v side and spiking badly on the 12v side with a hard load. Will put the standard Cummins 24v alternator on it and add a bussman equalizer. I do worry about the surge from the jake power so i will have to isolate that power side i believe.

Going to install standard military turns and tails as well. I may even look at the military light switch swap. Need a harness plug to work with then.

Logged 1200mi Fri Sat Sun
Hmmm...what happened to your hood mirrors?

SCM35A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hemtt wheels & other progress you've made look bad axx! Curious though who you got the new headlights from??

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Took it off to paint it to match the new one. Since you gave me a tiny spot mirror i stopped and bought a real one on the way back
Tiny? Maybe you need a couple of the security mirrors they put in the back of the drug stores and gas stations then, lol.

thamb03.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks