• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Simp's M915A1 Build Thread

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Did some painting in the nice weather. Usmc green 34052. Used some new paint from sherwin williams. Suppose to work well on non prepped surfaces. Used some activator in the paint so This knocks-down the dry time to 15 mins. ReCoat time to 20min and cure time to about an hour.

Used matte deep base type. Only 1 store in Memphis actually had the paint.
Wes, that looks nice! I thought it looked pretty "tough" in black, but that green is really good. Need to get a couple of pictures at about dusk with the convoy lights and park lights on...

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Wes, that looks nice! I thought it looked pretty "tough" in black, but that green is really good. Need to get a couple of pictures at about dusk with the convoy lights and park lights on...
Color it was before was actually a green that was labeled "night mission green" only showed up green in the direct light.

Original paint pic. And a night time pic with the west aluminum flatbed

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Color it was before was actually a green that was labeled "night mission green" only showed up green in the direct light.

Original paint pic. And a night time pic with the west aluminum flatbed
First Class!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
So I have an 2004 international 9400I I am cutting up that I got for a smoking deal. With a C15 and 18 spd in it. Small daycab tractor.

I started by swapping its main fuel tank, 159 gal for my drivers side 110. So I could ditch the rear gravity feed M931 tank. Bolted right in using the same straps.. 26in diameter and 70inch long. For the 9400 tank. Stock tank is 26in x 50in. I will be welding some steps on tomorrow hopefully and paint it.

Got rid of the 931 tank to install the cable payout winch in a better spot. Carrying around 1 inch cable pretty well sucks. Payout winch uses a 24v electric hydraulic pump to run itself independently of the truck hydraulics and over having to use large T fittings to splice in on that.

Using a standard control valve for the payout winch.

Did haul a few LMTVs in a circus fashion

Attachments

Brutacus

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I have an 2004 international 9400I I am cutting up that I got for a smoking deal. With a C15 and 18 spd in it. Small daycab tractor.

Are you going to swap the 18spd into your truck? We know you like having alot of gears in your rig.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Payout winch is finished. Used a haldex 24v pump that is around 9gpm. Was able to mount the cross control valve to the current valve on the inside. And a master power switch for the pump. Winch moves pretty fast
Will be trying it out tomorrow pulling out 80ft of cable.

Next winch project will be to add an air tensioner to the winch. This is a pivot mounted arm with 2 air bags to put pressure on the cable constantly

Will be upgrading the interior ac with a unit from an RG31. Not sure if i will run the single 25000btu unit or run a dual system. Will be adding a larger condenser unit too.

Attachments

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
haven't done much in the modifications in the past month. Logged close to 10,300 miles since August 6th.

Needing to add a second fuel filter unit. As I burn thru the FS1000 unit on the pump in 6 to 9000mi. It is kinda annoying really but that is common mileage for the small micron filter working by itself

Changed the oil again. Caught rotella 5gal buckets on sale for $44. About it.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changed the oil again. Caught rotella 5gal buckets on sale for $44. About it.
Thought about a bypass filter? Some OTR guys are now well over 100 000 on same oil with one, only changing oil when sampling shows loss of base, fuel dilution, silica (dirt) or antifreeze contamination....

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thought about a bypass filter? Some OTR guys are now well over 100 000 on same oil with one, only changing oil when sampling shows loss of base, fuel dilution, silica (dirt) or antifreeze contamination....
Big cam iiis have a spin on bypass filter on the oil cooler. I have a puradyn bypass filter system with a dissipation plate in it for fuel and antifreeze. It is supposed to put additives back into the oil. I sent this oil in for analysis. I had about 30k on the oil and this is the first change with the bypass I tend to go thru 2 gallons every 10k mi but that is mostly from turbo slobber at idle. Newer trucks don't have that issue.

Computer controlled means less fuel dilution especially on long idle times vs an engine that can't adjust fuel input

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Had a few hours of free time today and it wasn't too hot so I stripped the floor in the truck. Ac evaporator has a leak and was getting under the stock carpet

Scraped off the bad paint and rust and coated with rustproofer. Installed 1 layer of Styrofoam thin insulation board and the thicker Styro board from home depot. Even got some of the firewall done. Reinstalled rubber mats

Installed a fuel filter above the tank to supplement the pump mounted 10 micron filter. One i Installed is a 20 micron. I also am planning a fuel cooler as well.

Installed a new air ride seat. Its a legacy silver. Very nice seat. 22in wide for us fat folks .

Installed 2 new duracell group 31 agm batteries

Picked up a new ac condenser that is 43x29. Should cool well with the new booyco rg31 units

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Interior unit installed. Unit has a large evaporator. Its wired up. Have new hoses ran tomorrow since they have larger fittings. Pretty big unit. 4 ports forward. 1 large open hole going up.

Attachments

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Interior unit installed. Unit has a large evaporator. Its wired up. Have new hoses ran tomorrow since they have larger fittings. Pretty big unit. 4 ports forward. 1 large open hole going up.
Those are some really nice additions Simp!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
AC upgrade installed. Extra condenser installed, Extra 12ft of AC line, few splices and new fittings. New compressor and dryer. And 8.5lbs of freon. Pretty large system.

Blower is pretty powerful on 24v so I plan to install a toggle switch to switch between 12 and 24v on the lower to give me lower speeds. Blower pulls 32amps on high with both running. Found a switch for a mack rated for 40 amps.

Backwall insulated and enclosed.

Installed a fuel cooler using the old transfer case cooler off a 916/920

Attachments

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Well. AC works pretty well. 57 degrees in the cab with 100 degree outdoor temps is pretty good.

Installed a new alternator with remote sense to account for the AC draw.

Been rolling a bunch since august. Around 33,000mi.

Few issues have gone on. Nothing major. Oil turbo seal is leaking so I gotta fix that before too long.

Got a full set of g177s in 12r24.5s for winter use.

Picked up a 916 with the 7spd Allison. Just did some testing on it.

Attachments

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I do not know if the older Cummins is the same as my Detroit 60 with it's oil bypass filter. On the 60 my bypass is not like what we consider a true bypass these days. On the older 60 series it had two full flow oil filters and one bypass. Now from what I understand my bypass is only used if my first two oil filters plug up and the valve opens / differential pressure and sends all oil to the bypass. More of a safety thing for the motor. These days when I think of a bypass it is like the old Luber Finder that big chrome thing on the side of the cab. It had a small orifice to grab a little oil and run it through the filter and put it back in the pan but the engine still had it's primary full flow oil filters.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks