• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Air intake replacement

ckouba

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question for those who have gone the camper conversion route with your LMTV and removed the stock induction: what filtration set up did you use?

Looking for effective solutions, or conversely, any "don't do this way" direction.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

coachgeo

Have seen an M939? filter unit used. They mounted it lower just under bed height if recall right in similar in heigt to OEM location to the 939 (939 filter can is under drivers arse, under the cab edge). Saw where someone did this with the OEM one.. they must have been very confident it would not let water in... granted even if it did the water would have a looong way to go UP to get to the engine.

others with deeper pockets have used Donaldson filter setups. You can contact Donaldson with your engine specs. and they will make recommendations.

Last edited:

ramdough

Never mind the dust when driving... Yeah, I saw that but couldn't believe that was considered a valid solution.
I saw how that one was built. They had lots of “new” ways to build campers. I didn’t like any of them. I think they could have missed the KISS principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

The older that I get the more a realize "there was a reason the engineer did it that way". Tread lightly if you feel you have a better way.

ramdough

I called Donaldson and they recommended different things depending on who you talk to.

First time, they recommend the powercore 12 to 14 size filters.

The second time I called, I said I wanted minimal maintenance, reliability, etc....they recommended a powercore 18 size, but then I said I might mount it high on the truck...... then they changed course and came up with a ridiculous filter system that was bigger than the stock one. They followed by saying they would not change anything from stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reworked LMTV

I am going to put my factory can on the roof...

If you put it there, you will need to consider the hassle of opening the cab. Not that it could not be done. The space between the cab and the spare and the intake is poorly utilized. It was designed for quick dismantle in the field, not space conservation. RV people have tried to redo this area. I think it is somewhat of a waste of time. For example, the spare tire is going to take about the same area, whether it is left where it is, or stuck on the back of the RV. If you are trying to regain the space by moving thing around, consider dovetailing things like a small gen, a 12 volt compressor for back up, into that area. Put things on slides, whenever possible. Maybe put the intake on stilts or something and utilize the space below it better.

coachgeo

Never mind the dust when driving... Yeah, I saw that but couldn't believe that was considered a valid solution.
Plenty of ya'll in here know way more than I.... myself don't see much issue with the OEM low mounted one when it comes to water.... is water really going to raise up from there all the way to the engine even under vacuum?

Dust... different issue. making a wide thin snorkel between box and cab (same square footage just different shape) would IMHO be a wise change. doing that would make it very similar to the 939 setup

Last edited:

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
939 series cans were designed to be submerged. contingent on a seal built by the lowest bidder. Plenty have been underwater for long periods of time without issue. Fording dept for a LMTV is 36in. Well below the top of the tire which that intake appears to be over it. 99.8 percent of people are not folding rivers in their camper. A simple slip on pipe accounts for higher water fording but then you have to worry about your exhaust. The LMTV fording kit for 50in is only an exhaust extension.

IMO LMTVs should stay as far away from high water as possible wether stock or modified. Military or civilian.

Attachments

Last edited:

Reworked LMTV

Look closely at the where water would end up being sprayed, even if just driving in a rain storm.

I don't plan on high water cruises, but I would like a greater margin than what that offers. High water travel across fast streams is best left to the Russians lol. Every single hose clamp and seal would to be perfect, or it's going to be expensive.

I'd like to hear from those who have forded in any MV in deep water with a snorkel or a mechanic that had to fix the failures : )

Plenty of ya'll in here know way more than I.... myself don't see much issue with the OEM low mounted one when it comes to water.... is water really going to raise up from there all the way to the engine even under vacuum?

Dust... different issue. making a wide thin snorkel between box and cab (same square footage just different shape) would IMHO be a wise change. doing that would make it very similar to the 939 setup

Last edited:

Ronmar

If you put it there, you will need to consider the hassle of opening the cab. Not that it could not be done. The space between the cab and the spare and the intake is poorly utilized. It was designed for quick dismantle in the field, not space conservation. RV people have tried to redo this area. I think it is somewhat of a waste of time. For example, the spare tire is going to take about the same area, whether it is left where it is, or stuck on the back of the RV. If you are trying to regain the space by moving thing around, consider dovetailing things like a small gen, a 12 volt compressor for back up, into that area. Put things on slides, whenever possible. Maybe put the intake on stilts or something and utilize the space below it better.
Cab tilt will be easy. One snap collar will separate the air pipe under the cab and up she goes. I am also planning on putting the expansion tank up there:) I am certain I can make a better use of space with box and steps there and the tire pushed to the rear(lower overall length for a given sq/ft).

snowtrac nome

When that seal goes out on that can, you will be pulling water in when it rises to the level of the hub. Sheesh......
Hydro lock is a violent death for a CAT.
I don't like it that way likely your not fording over the top of the tires but, there is a lot of spray kicked up from those tires just drive down a muddy road like I do all summer there are times I cant see out the side windows I would look at the Isuzu npr trucks they have a low mounted air cleaner with tall skinny duct work attached to the cab and nothing more than a compression seal. its not water proof for fording but works good to get clean air from above the cab

ramdough

Cab tilt will be easy. One snap collar will separate the air pipe under the cab and up she goes. I am also planning on putting the expansion tank up there:) I am certain I can make a better use of space with box and steps there and the tire pushed to the rear(lower overall length for a given sq/ft).
Only issue there is that if you want to run your engine with the cab up to work on it, you will have an open intake. That is dangerous.

ramdough

939 series cans were designed to be submerged. contingent on a seal built by the lowest bidder. Plenty have been underwater for long periods of time without issue. Fording dept for a LMTV is 36in. Well below the top of the tire which that intake appears to be over it. 99.8 percent of people are not folding rivers in their camper. A simple slip on pipe accounts for higher water fording but then you have to worry about your exhaust. The LMTV fording kit for 50in is only an exhaust extension.

IMO LMTVs should stay as far away from high water as possible wether stock or modified. Military or civilian.
Do you have a picture of what the FMTV high water kit looks like? I have never actually seen one.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks