Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Air intake replacement

Private
    Thanks

Default Air intake replacement

Question for those who have gone the camper conversion route with your LMTV and removed the stock induction: what filtration set up did you use?

Looking for effective solutions, or conversely, any "don't do this way" direction.

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

Thanks

Have seen an M939? filter unit used. They mounted it lower just under bed height if recall right in similar in heigt to OEM location to the 939 (939 filter can is under drivers arse, under the cab edge). Saw where someone did this with the OEM one.. they must have been very confident it would not let water in... granted even if it did the water would have a looong way to go UP to get to the engine.

others with deeper pockets have used Donaldson filter setups. You can contact Donaldson with your engine specs. and they will make recommendations.
    Last edited by coachgeo; 10-15-2019 at 12:58.
    One does not get troubles in life... just character building opportunities. Build on with a smile

Moderator: Orange Tractor Talks & AmbulanceRV

Daily driver- 99 VW TDI or 2002 KLR DIESEL w/cvt... weather permitting
    Projects: 96 M1078, 97 Triumph Tiger w/3cyl Diesel Kubota
    Sold: 1962 Dieselized Unimog 404, 1984 Int. 24foot Flatbed, 97 Jeep TJ heavily Modified, Datsun Roadster(s) & 510(s)

Sergeant
    Thanks

20190826_2134451.jpg20190826_2135071.jpg
    i saw this and snapped photos in case I needed to use it.
    1995 M1084 A0
    2009 M989A1 Trailer

Thanks

Nicely positioned to suck up water while fording. Dumb dumb dumb.
    1998 M1088A0 former KY National Guard vehicle

Many states have banned on road use of MV's. Even Canada has made driving them difficult. In a flash all of your work money and work is wasted. Watch your State Legislator closely! Band together to make sure this does not happen. This can be done by setting up an automatic send of all State Bill proposals. Once it's law, it's hard to get it changed.

General
    Thanks

I am going to put my factory can on the roof...

Private
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reworked LMTV View Post
    Nicely positioned to suck up water while fording.
    Never mind the dust when driving... Yeah, I saw that but couldn't believe that was considered a valid solution.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ckouba For This Useful Post:

Reworked LMTV (10-16-2019)

Colonel
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ckouba View Post
    Never mind the dust when driving... Yeah, I saw that but couldn't believe that was considered a valid solution.
    I saw how that one was built. They had lots of “new” ways to build campers. I didn’t like any of them. I think they could have missed the KISS principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

The older that I get the more a realize "there was a reason the engineer did it that way". Tread lightly if you feel you have a better way.

Many states have banned on road use of MV's. Even Canada has made driving them difficult. In a flash all of your work money and work is wasted. Watch your State Legislator closely! Band together to make sure this does not happen. This can be done by setting up an automatic send of all State Bill proposals. Once it's law, it's hard to get it changed.

Colonel
    Thanks

I called Donaldson and they recommended different things depending on who you talk to.

First time, they recommend the powercore 12 to 14 size filters.

The second time I called, I said I wanted minimal maintenance, reliability, etc....they recommended a powercore 18 size, but then I said I might mount it high on the truck...... then they changed course and came up with a ridiculous filter system that was bigger than the stock one. They followed by saying they would not change anything from stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ronmar View Post
    I am going to put my factory can on the roof...

If you put it there, you will need to consider the hassle of opening the cab. Not that it could not be done. The space between the cab and the spare and the intake is poorly utilized. It was designed for quick dismantle in the field, not space conservation. RV people have tried to redo this area. I think it is somewhat of a waste of time. For example, the spare tire is going to take about the same area, whether it is left where it is, or stuck on the back of the RV. If you are trying to regain the space by moving thing around, consider dovetailing things like a small gen, a 12 volt compressor for back up, into that area. Put things on slides, whenever possible. Maybe put the intake on stilts or something and utilize the space below it better.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast