Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: MEP 804b MPU source?

Private
    Thanks

Default MEP 804b MPU source?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a good source for an mpu for the MEP804b? New or takeoff is ok.

Thanks

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

If you mean the magnetic pickup, I bought mine from ebay. Search MSP6729 3/8”x24 around $20.

Robert

3 Star General
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,002 Times in 533 Posts

You should also post a free ad in the SS "Parts Wanted" Classifieds section unless you have already located one.
    GEN #1 House Gen PU-751/M: 1986 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    GEN #2 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 w/Aux Tank & OEM cover
    GEN #3 Shop/Barn Gen NF-2 Enclosure: 19XX MEP-002a w/Aux Tank
    GEN #4 Spare Gen PU-751/M: 1991 MEP-002a/M116A2 (a work in process)

* Disclaimer - My comments on this forum are based on my opinion and my experiences only. It is your responsibility to verify any information before using or to hire a professional.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chainbreaker For This Useful Post:

ehinlein (10-15-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Thanks for the quick replies! Just ordered but will definitely use the parts wanted section next time.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,599 Times in 2,695 Posts

Member 155mm bought his from a truck repair shop, i I remember right. Send him a PM and ask.

Oh, whats wrong with yours?

Thanks

Correct, the small mpu on 804 is the speed sensor on the tranny on an 03 379 pete, the large is on an 03 w900 kenworth tranny
    "Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl"

"Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 155mm For This Useful Post:

DieselAddict (10-17-2019), Guyfang (10-16-2019)

Private
    Thanks

Hello Guyfang,

I didn't respond right away because I wanted to see if the speed pickup was the issue. It wasn't. The story. Nice clean 804b. Had for 18 months. From GP. Has always started and run fine. When I got it the fuel intake pipe in tank was bent upwards so required a fullish tank to run. Could be a hint that something was wrong and someone messed with it. Went to start it recently and it cranked fine but no start, no smoke. Thought maybe fuel. Checked at bleed and filters. Fuel good. Thought maybe pickup as this seems to be an issue. I swear I gently ran it in to stop and then backed 3/4 but after that upon crank, chewed it up. Live and learn. Anyway replaced that and get 2.8VAC on crank now. Only odd thing is that a couple of weeks prior to the no start condition I was moving it (no rear leg) and tipped it so it flipped on rear end, pintle to the sky for a short time (minute). Hadn't tried it since the tip. This was the first time. It was a gentle tip onto soft ground. Can't see this as cause but who knows. Any thoughts? I know. I know. time to break out the TMs.

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

On my two 804ís if no smoke during crank, so far it has almost always been the MPU. On the A model, it has no fuel pump and it would lose the prime from time to time. Replaced the manual fuel pump doohickey and that part has been fine since, now the water pump is making bad noises with only around 150 hours total.

On the B, no problems in more than 500 hours of running and it seems more robust than the A, especially when running a FDECU-5 (5 ton heat pump). Since the B has fuel pumps, let it run for around 5 minutes and maybe crack some lines to see if it is moving fuel and bleed it. You should hear the return dribbling into the tank.

Yes, the TMs have some trouble shooting guides although the one about crank no start should begin with checking and verifying the MPU instead of near the end of the guide.

Robert
    Last edited by robertsears1; 10-18-2019 at 16:37.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to robertsears1 For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-19-2019)

Thanks

You can operate injection pump by hand, for troubleshooting. Takes 2 soldiers unless you have really long arms. My guess is mpu same as robert. Unless something got knocked loose with the tip over. Might check all relays behind control panel
    "Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl"

"Happiness Is A Belt-Fed Weapon"

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 155mm For This Useful Post:

Guyfang (10-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,599 Times in 2,695 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ehinlein View Post
    Hello Guyfang,

I didn't respond right away because I wanted to see if the speed pickup was the issue. It wasn't. The story. Nice clean 804b. Had for 18 months. From GP. Has always started and run fine. When I got it the fuel intake pipe in tank was bent upwards so required a fullish tank to run. Could be a hint that something was wrong and someone messed with it. Went to start it recently and it cranked fine but no start, no smoke. Thought maybe fuel. Checked at bleed and filters. Fuel good. Thought maybe pickup as this seems to be an issue. I swear I gently ran it in to stop and then backed 3/4 but after that upon crank, chewed it up. Live and learn. Anyway replaced that and get 2.8VAC (where are you mesuring this? At the MPU, or at the A5?) on crank now. Only odd thing is that a couple of weeks prior to the no start condition I was moving it (no rear leg) and tipped it so it flipped on rear end, pintle to the sky for a short time (minute). Hadn't tried it since the tip. This was the first time. It was a gentle tip onto soft ground. Can't see this as cause but who knows. (Like 155MM said, check the relays.) Any thoughts? I know. I know. time to break out the TMs.
    1. Charge your battery's. This set, like most TQG's work best when the batteries are in tip top condition.
    2. Have someone try and start the set. You make the following tests.
    3. See if you are getting 2.8 VDC at the A5 terminals 16 & 27.
    4. Go to the A6 and see if you have 7.8 ohms across the coil, and 24 volts at the P10.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast