• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Survey...... "oil line of death 3116" (governor oil feed line)

coachgeo

Since this topic comes up few times a year with killed 3116 engine as result..... would like to collect some data to help everyone determine if they may/may not need to be concerned.
This is for EVERYONE w/3116 to report your results please. Include photo if at all possible. Much thanks in advance

What prompted this survey is a mention that one user's whose broke noted that his union on the engine that the line mounts too sat just below 3:00 on the block which added to the stress on this line. Thus my wonder is if there is a series of 3116's where this union may be been poorly installed at the factory....... so Please fill in the following information in a post. I will look into transposing it into a spreadsheet.

UPDATE- so far.... looking more like all block end junctions are just below 3:00 soo:shrugs:

. 3116 Engine year
. Engine serial number
. approx. position of the union (photo below) on the block
. has yours broke
. is yours leaky presently

Attachments

Last edited:

radbad

3116 Engine year: 1998.
Engine serial number: 7AG07853.
approx. position of the union on the block: 3:00 - no pictures, but a replacement was easy to align and install.
has yours broke: yes - caused engine failure.
is yours leaky presently: no

coachgeo

3116 Engine year: 1998.
Engine serial number: 7AG07853.
approx. position of the union on the block: 3:00 - no pictures, but a replacement was easy to align and install.
has yours broke: yes - caused engine failure.
is yours leaky presently: no
well there is first blow to the .... "not at 3:00=failure theory" lol. will be interesting as we get more input. Are you running rebuild of original engine now? if so.. can you possibly get verified if it was 3:00 pre rebuild or not?

radbad

well there is first blow to the .... "not at 3:00=failure theory" lol. will be interesting as we get more input. Are you running rebuild of original engine now? if so.. can you possibly get verified if it was 3:00 pre rebuild or not?
I don't have pictures, and my truck is a few hundred miles away. It might be below 3:00. Is someone trying to build a case that Cat should pay for our engine failures?

Current engine is probably not rebuildable. Working on replacement options.

I can snag a picture whenever I see the truck next, but there' really no telling when that will be.

coachgeo

... Is someone trying to build a case that Cat should pay for our engine failures?....
no not the point of this thread. Just looking at making it easier for folk to identify how concerned they should be now... and what changes they may should make if they replace this piece with an OEM type.

Plasa

Hello!
I immagine you use a flexible tube instead of a rigid one... Can you please tell me what type of tube you use? Pressure is not really a problem I think, but temperature?

Thanks a lot!
View attachment 779701

Mine looks ok has a little corrosion at back of fitting motor side.

95 M1089
9928 on clock
Engine serial number later can't raise cab right now full of crap lol.

coachgeo

IMHO steel braided just trades one problem for another. It solves an vibration issues that may arise 20yrs down the road butttt... as the hose wears internally small chunks / microscopic rubber bits makes its way into the Governor... thus there is your trade of one issue for another.

Then again Ronmar has mentioned that steel braided WITH teflon does not have this internal break down issue... but I'll have to pass on any discussion on that to others wom know way more than I.

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since this topic comes up few times a year with killed 3116 engine as result..... would like to collect some data to help everyone determine if they may/may not need to be concerned.
This is for EVERYONE w/3116 to report your results please. Include photo if at all possible. Much thanks in advance

What prompted this survey is a mention that one user's whose broke noted that his union on the engine that the line mounts too sat just below 3:00 on the block which added to the stress on this line. Thus my wonder is if there is a series of 3116's where this union may be been poorly installed at the factory....... so Please fill in the following information in a post. I will look into transposing it into a spreadsheet.

. 3116 Engine year ...1993 (the truck was built in 1998, but the truck was completely overhauled in 2012...and the rebuilt engine was installed at that time
. Engine serial number ...7AG08773
. approx. position of the union (photo below) on the block ...mine looks like the pic you attached...but it is bone dry
. has yours broke ...NO
. is yours leaky presently...NO
I inserted my responses above...

Plasa

- 3116 Engine year ...1997
- Engine serial number ...7AG04596
- approx. position of the union on the block ...mine looks like the pic you attached, not straight...but it is bone dry, for now...
- has yours broke ...NO
- is yours leaky presently...NO
- I will replase the oil line with a new original one. Hoping that hold for next 20 years.

Christian

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMHO steel braided just trades one problem for another. It solves an vibration issues that may arise 20yrs down the road butttt... as the hose wears internally small chunks / microscopic rubber bits makes its way into the Governor... thus there is your trade of one issue for another.

Then again Ronmar has mentioned that steel braided WITH teflon does not have this internal break down issue... but I'll have to pass on any discussion on that to others wom know way more than I.
Even “if” you were trading one issue for another, one is catastrophic when it fails, and one may leave you with a repair bill for a part that needs replaced. Seems like a good trade off to me

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks