• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got another deuce! (Dropside!)

dmetalmiki

That is a really nice 'chunk' of metal to put right back to a really decent acquisition for your good self. Well done.
I quite like the 'Transporter' as well.

DavidWymore

My buddy Mike (dezert ratt) towed it home thru the mountains for me. She dumped a bunch of gear oil out of the driver side axle boot in that parking lot (on a slant) while we ate lunch. We mopped it all up.

DavidWymore

Well, put batteries in it a while back and drove it around the industrial area block.
She was acting like one of my wife’s essential oil diffusers with diesel on the turbo (not as pleasant as one might think) from the flame heater. Killed that as well as the one on the ‘70.

Most, if not all the lights work. Need to trouble shoot a couple gauges. Working on getting a hardtop and straight fenders and steps.

Main issue is trans makes noise with the clutch up. Kind of a friction noise and a little ringaling. Quiet with clutch depressed. Shifter is also quite stiff, especially from 1-2. Maybe the shift tower or forks...or synchros? So I guess trans needs dropped and throwout and input inspected.

Other thing is the steering is also quite stiff. Not sure yet if it’s in the box or the axle. Need to yank the front end off the ground and see if it changes.

Brakes are kinda spongy sometimes but they work. Perhaps just need bled, haven’t looked at the master or anything yet.

One thing is for sure, though I haven’t actually used it yet, the dropside is very handy! I was scrapping out junk in the yard and was about to put it to use, but then scrap prices tanked even worse due to the virus. Maybe I’ll put the bed dumping apparatus I have on it too someday.

Attachments

DavidWymore

Managed to plug the feed to the flame heaters without jacking the engine up. Two 1” wrenches with slight different clocking/timing on the box end managed to turn a bit at a time, then fully remove and reinstall with a socket on the 9/16” compression fitting.

Traded a crossmember for a winch with a cracked housing.

Attachments

DavidWymore

Installed an ugly $100 AMA5104UT alternator tonight, it works! Might need bearings.
Water pump is definitely shot. Wobbling but not leaking. Gonna try to rebuild it.

Looked at adapting a 21si a little bit. Might mod the factory bracket
04378333-FCAF-4083-A356-CC8B5D47800B.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks