• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

5-ton multifuel does not start

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M51A2 multi fuel has been stationary quite long, awaiting repairs but moved a few times to make place for repairs on the workshop itself. Last time it was moved to a nearby field without problem. Now, 6 months later, the workshop is ready but I cannot get the truck started. Normally, even in freezing cold with half full batteries, I can get her started with a bit of ether start help. Now, no dice.

Even with two full and strong batteries (165 Ah-850 A and 180Ah 1000 A, no dice. Motor turns over ok and quickly, spraying ether lets the engine catch but it immediately dies again. My friends thought there maybe was a problem with air in the fuel lines due to long standing, but over the last 7 years, that never seemed to be a problem. It did sound like that though, or anyway a fuel problem.

I did make some stupid mistakes when trying to start:

First, I forgot to clean the first fuel filter. When I finally did, however, only a bit of mess from the bottom came out but good fuel came quite quickly after that.

Second, I forgot to do the "hydrostatic check". I did make sure before doing anything that the stop cable was released and the rod pushed back completely (it is causing my problems, hard to pull out completely, was noted for repairs). If anything, I now (home and relaxed) have the idea that there might be the problem?

Third, when starting, I did not notice that the fuel switch was shifted to R. I have two tanks, but the right tank has been disconnected as long as I have the truck. I shifted it back to the left tank, but still no dice.

Any ideas??

TexAndy

Does the cutoff lever go to a fuel shutoff on the side of the engine like in the deuces? I'm assuming the LDS is the same/similar to the LDT in that regard.

If so, stop trying to start that engine. Take the cover off of the fuel shutoff lever and make sure it moves freely. It should move back and forth with very light, single finger pressure.

If you keep trying to start that engine and it is stuck, it will take off and try to run away if you do manage to get it to fire up.

Disregard if the LDS works differently from the LDT. Just throwing that out there as a potential issue since you noted your stop cable was giving you trouble.

TexAndy

If your fuel shutoff lever is stuck, take it out of the IP and soak it in a coffee can of old gasoline or similar solvent. Work it back and forth. I've had good luck unsticking them this way without having to take them all the way apart.

They're kind of tricky to put back in. Take a picture of how it sits before you take it out. If it's not fully seated and in the right position, you can get a "won't start" or "runaway" issue when you go to fire it up again.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reading Texandy's remarks and my own words, I remembered that I posted on another thread about this as well. Then I found back Gimpyrobb's sticky about this on the Deuce, and decided to update that thread with my experience.

The short of it: an engine stop lever stuck in out, which kept the fuel shutoff rod in the stuck position. Stayed there for a year, got a bit stuck. One slight touch and it jumped back, and a few times moving it open-close, and it springs back perfectly.

Repaired the sticky - bent lever, and now everything works a treat, smooth as a baby's :wink:. Started up on the first push. But as mentioned before: pushing the engine stop lever back into the case does NOT pushes back the fuel cutoff rod!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks