• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Inexpensive 923 A1 Fan Clutch Rebuild Kit Anyone?

rivercreek

I don't know if perhaps I've missed any posts specifically about this, but my searches so far haven't offered any options besides REALLY EXPENSIVE rebuild kits or even MORE EXPENSIVE complete fan clutch replacement units. (I did find mention on one post about available parts from FanClutch.com - I'm waiting on a return email from them now. Thanks whoever it was that posted that link) Wowee, everyone out there seems really really proud of these fan clutch units!! I have 2 clutch assemblies inoperable right now - one with a major air leak and one seized up tight. I haven't torn them apart yet, but judging by parts diagrams they seem to be relatively simple units - A couple bearings, clutch, springs, etc. My guess is hopefully just seized bearings in the frozen one although I haven't verified that yet. Has anyone had any experience/luck sourcing replacement bearings/parts without having to spend $500-$600+ on a "proper" rebuild kit by any chance? That just seems really excessive to me, unless I'm missing something - which is entirely possible. Bearings alone ought not to be too terribly expensive I wouldn't think, unless these ones are gold plated or some such. I guess I need to start tearing one of these things down to see if I can find any bearing numbers - Just thought I'd ask. Thanks in advance for any input.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You can source all the individually

Rear bearing 6017-2RS for $22 on ebay.
Rear o ring FD145A $5
Front bearing 10951608 on google for $23
Large o.ring FD0077 $10
Front plug with o ring. FC212143 from member Suprman

Those are all the parts you need if its a bad rebuild. mostly its just leaking o rings.

You can use an NTC400 fan clutch setup that are $400 new in ebay or from member suprman. You will have to resize the belts though but it will work just fine. It does put the fan a little further into the shroud but that isnt any fitment issue.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks so much Simp for the info and the super quick reply - you're awesome. Thats a huge help, exactly the info I was hoping for!
I used an NHC250 fan clutch on an NTC400. I had to space the fan 3/4" out. Not sure on the reverse setup but ive got an engine i could see its fitment on. But the belts will align. The pulley on the NTC400.clutch is smaller i know

rivercreek

Hopefully I won't need to worry about spacing or retrofitting. Now that I know what to get, I'll tear into my bad clutch assemblies and see which parts I need. If I find anything interesting, I'll post my findings with some photos. I've never pulled one apart before, so it'll be a good learning experience anyway.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hopefully I won't need to worry about spacing or retrofitting. Now that I know what to get, I'll tear into my bad clutch assemblies and see which parts I need. If I find anything interesting, I'll post my findings with some photos. I've never pulled one apart before, so it'll be a good learning experience anyway.
you will have to make a jig to hold everything together for reassembly. Swampdonkey has rebuilt a few of the NHC250 fan clutches that i went thru to keep me rolling.

Lukes_deuce

You can source all the individually

Rear bearing 6017-2RS for $22 on ebay.
Rear o ring FD145A $5
Front bearing 10951608 on google for $23
Large o.ring FD0077 $10
Front plug with o ring. FC212143 from member Suprman

Those are all the parts you need if its a bad rebuild. mostly its just leaking o rings.

You can use an NTC400 fan clutch setup that are $400 new in ebay or from member suprman. You will have to resize the belts though but it will work just fine. It does put the fan a little further into the shroud but that isnt any fitment issue.
Besides the pulley size, is the fan clutch for the 250 and 400 the same? I need to rebuild a fan clutch for a 400.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Besides the pulley size, is the fan clutch for the 250 and 400 the same? I need to rebuild a fan clutch for a 400.
No. The 400 clutch uses 3 of the same bearings unlike the NHC250 that only uses 2 bearings and both are different.

Member suprman has the rebuild kit for the NTC400 clutch - # FC212024. Has it listed for $200 on his ebay store.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure I quite follow you regards a jig, but I imagine i'll find out soon enough lol. That bad, huh?
The jig is to help align things during reassembly. There are 3 pieces that have to be aligned to install the Allen screws in the rear. Two of the pieces are a press fit and the third piece is under spring pressure. It can be a challenge to get it all lined up so I made a jig to handle the alignment. It was worth the effort given the amount of clutches I was rebuilding at the time. You can do the same thing with some welding rods or something similar. Just don't use anything made of wood. It will snap off and you'll be left fishing a stub out of a tiny threaded hole.

There is a torque spec on those Allen screws in the back. Make sure you don't exceed the spec. Those screws break easily.

If you get the parts in the list that Wes posted, make sure you get two of the front bearings. There are two front bearings and one large rear bearing.

If you get the kit that Suprman sells, you will just need to order the large rear bearing. Everything else is included in the kit. The kit also contains new friction material, spring washer and spindle lock nut, which are not on the list above. The spindle lock nut should always be replaced and torqued to the proper spec. If that nut backs off, the clutch comes off the spindle and puts the fan into the radiator. With the kit and ordering the large bearing, you will have absolutely every replaceable part in hand. The clutch will likely outlast the truck.

One more tip...the clutch is a water trap. Water goes in and can't get back out. A good many of the clutches I have rebuilt had severe moisture problems. Keep your air dryer maintained and you shouldn't have anymore problems after you rebuild it.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great info - thanks Swamp!
No problem. If you run into problems just post them up here and I'll walk you through them. There's a few more things to check when you get it opened up. No sense posting them until you get to that point though. They won't make much sense until you have all the parts in front of you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks