Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: towing a new to me trailer from govplanet pickup location

Sergeant
    Thanks

Default towing a new to me trailer from govplanet pickup location

Won a trailer on Govplanet, going through the Trade Securities approval process. The question I have, once approved, can I tow the trailer home from the pickup location without a tag or get a temp tag? Is there a way to get a temp tag for the trailer prior to removal (withtout the SF-97 in hand)? I'm also not sure if the site will let me tow the trailer off the site without a tag. The other issue, having to travel through multiple states without a tag on the trailer. Purchase date 1.5 months ago, getting the release hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

I have travelled without a tag in the past, but had a bill of sale with that specific day of the sale listed. Get pulled over, show them that I just purchased the trailer. My understanding, LEO will let you off most of the time.

If any of you have purchased a trailer from Govplanet and towed it home, what have you done in this situation.

MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,778 Times in 2,007 Posts

Most states have some kind of 72 hour permit paper tag that you can purchase inexpensively from the DMV with only a VIN number.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,292 Times in 585 Posts

In Georgia you can simply give DMV a VIN number and they will provide a temporary tag free. However, the last time I picked up a trailer and had the temporary tag, I couldn't get any kind of tape to stick to the fresh CARC on the trailer and ended up carrying the temporary paper tag in the truck cab. You should check with Maryland DMV. You should also confirm with your insurance company that the trailer is covered in the event of an accident. I know Maryland has some especially strict motor vehicle rules compared to other states. My daughter lives in Baltimore now, but recently moved back from the United Kingdom where she was working for a few years. She wanted to import a 60 something right hand drive Jaguar from England but found out that Maryland would refuse to register it and additionally that it is illegal to drive a right hand drive vehicle in MD on public roads. I wonder how the post office gets by with their right hand drive vehicles?
    Gary
    US Army 1970-1971 MOS: 11D20 (Scout)
    2/36th Infantry, 3rd Armored Division
    USAR 1972-1973
    MVPA: #32652

2003 M1030M1 USMC Diesel Motorcycle
    1998 AM General M35A3 W/W and M66 Gun Ring
    1969 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 W/W (Sold)
    2000 M149A2 (USMC) Water Buffalo Trailer
    1968 Johnson M105A2 Trailer
    1992 M116A2 Trailer
    1987 XM1061E1 Trailer
    MEP-003A Gen Set
    30D36R 3 KW Gen Set ex-NC ANG (Sold)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpfever View Post
    Won a trailer on Govplanet, going through the Trade Securities approval process. The question I have, once approved, can I tow the trailer home from the pickup location without a tag or get a temp tag? Is there a way to get a temp tag for the trailer prior to removal (withtout the SF-97 in hand)? I'm also not sure if the site will let me tow the trailer off the site without a tag. The other issue, having to travel through multiple states without a tag on the trailer. Purchase date 1.5 months ago, getting the release hopefully in the next 2 weeks.

I have travelled without a tag in the past, but had a bill of sale with that specific day of the sale listed. Get pulled over, show them that I just purchased the trailer. My understanding, LEO will let you off most of the time.

If any of you have purchased a trailer from Govplanet and towed it home, what have you done in this situation.
    they let me drive an lmtv off site without a tag when I asked about getting pinched by law enforcement, I was told how many of those did you pass law enforcement just thinks its a government vehicle . that said I did drive straight to dmv for a temp permit

Sergeant Major
    Thanks

Is a utility type trailer like a M1101 or a semi type trailer? In OK, utility trailers don't require either tag or registration but I know that isn't the case in most states. In both of my purchases from OK GL sites, I just showed my purchase documents, hooked up and towed off.

I would think that all states would have a way for a person to tow a newly purchased trailer home from 'Honest Kilroy's Trailer Emporium' without having the final tag on it. As others have said, check with your local DMV or local LEO office. I would make sure you have your printed invoice/auction paperwork(print to pdf is your friend) for your auction win. And the matching paperwork for your Trade Securities check to document why it is several days/weeks after your purchase before you are doing your initial tow home.

Sergeant
    Thanks

Its a M1082, lmtv trailer. I was planning on picking it up in mt LMTV and bringing it back to Maryland.

I'm the dude, man! Steel Soldiers Vendor simp5782's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,507 Times in 3,317 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jpfever View Post
    Its a M1082, lmtv trailer. I was planning on picking it up in mt LMTV and bringing it back to Maryland.
    As long as your truck is insured. I wouldn't even worry with tag on the trailer. Some states, like TN, we dont even have to register trailers.
    2008 F-250 6.4L Powerstroke
    1979 AM General M920
    1984 AM General M915A1 (Big Cam III, HT3B Turbo, Brushless 24v Alternator with equalizer, A/C, Rear 20,000lb winch. 11R24 rear tires and 395s up front.)
    1984 AM General XM923A4 ( Big Cam III NTC-400, HT4B turbo, Intercooled, #10 button, Dual fuel Line setup - MRAP Aluminum Radiator - 7" Ram Air Intake system - Dual 115 gallon tanks - Air Conditioning - 145amp alternator - Puradyn Oil Bypass system, CAT 7155 16speed transmission, riding on 16.00 AT-3s on HEMTT wheels. )
    M923A1
    M931A2
    M1083
    M1078
    M796 Bolster
    M322 Equipment Trailer
    MEP-804A

901-318-8353 for Help in and or around the Memphis area or transporting in the southeast. Text me first before calling.

Tires (HMMWV, 395s, 1600s) and Transportation Vendor

Wes

Videos at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=5782simp

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTd...D4dOJidPFnmYGA

Thanks

Is this trailer coming from Letterkenny Depot in Chambersburg, PA ? What kind of trailer is it ? If it is RATED for over 3000 pounds some form of working brake will be required: surge, air over hydraulic, electric or straight air or what have you. As has been reported on this site recently, the Chambersburg area has been designated a hostile fire zone and impact area by the DOT. "DOT" means death on truckers. If you search around in the memory bank you will find the tale of woe of a pilgrim who tried to haul 3 M332 casions out of Letterkenny with a pickup truck and discovered what the phrase "bear bait" means. Your feces will become flakey if your activities are discovered by a hungry truck inspector who has recently been counseled by his sergeant about his abysmal lack of summons or impound statistics.

Sergeant
    Thanks

I recall the Letterkenny incident. It's not coming from there, coming out of Georgia.

General
    Thanks

The site doesn’t care if you have tags, insurance, working lights or even rubber on the wheels. All they care about is you signing for it.

Trailer liability insurance for Maryland is covered by the tow vehicle.

The important thing is what the tow vehicle is. Tow a M1082 behind a military vehicle and you won’t get a first look, let alone a second. Towing one behind a pickup will draw attention.

You can get a temp tag or if you have a friend at an automotive shop barrow their transport tag. Most decent shops will have one.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:

frc690 (10-22-2019)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast