• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Starter Relay Stuck Open?

huskerfan

Morning Guys,

Question for all of you that have done the doghead relay mod. My M1028 has been converted to 12V and had the doghead relay mod done. Got water in my starter this summer after a couple of offroad trips, and replaced it a couple months ago. All has been fine until this past weekend. Hauled a load of limestone to my house for a patio i'm putting in, then went to pick up a load of plaster sand across town. Loaded up the sand, went to start the truck and nothing. Headlights worked, but no click from the starter relay. Borrowed some tools from the guys at the shop i was at (of course it broke down clear across town and not at home unfortunately) and pulled off the red and purple wires and hotwired the truck just to get it back home.

Tested voltage last night and got no volts at the purple wire when i turned the key to start position. Would lead me to believe that the relay is stuck open. Searched the forums, but didn't see much of anything regarding the doghead relay sticking open. Anyone ever had this happen to them? Only info i could really find was regarding the stock relay sticking closed and burning up the starter motor.

chevymike

Relays are an electromechanical item and subject to failure like anything else. Could just be a bad relay, if you have checked all of your wiring and found that is all good. If they never failed, why would they be selling them? I would say replace and move on.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your truck is all 12v, you don't need the relay at all.

chevymike

If your truck is all 12v, you don't need the relay at all.
Agreed but the nice thing about keeping the relay is, you take all of the load off of the ignition switch. Removing the relay means the higher current gets passed through the ignition switch.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had the relay fail years later after doing the DH modification.
Installed new one, same brand and p/n and no issues since.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks