• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New LMTV owner with gremlins

Asymair95

I Picked up my new 1078 yesterday and drove it three and a half hours home. Didn’t have any major problems, but it does have some maintenance issues I need to address. Not sure if I should post all the problems in this thread or start a new thread for each issue? Here is the patient.

918A3779-93D2-45D2-984C-396A5F3AA575.jpg

I have downloaded the service, parts, and op manuals. Been reading as much as I can and getting familiar with them, as well as watching YouTube vids.

Last edited:

coachgeo

.... Not sure if I should post all the problems in this thread or start a new thread for each issue? ...
I have downloaded the service, parts, and op manuals. Been reading as much as I can and getting familiar with them, as well as watching YouTube vids.
Mucho thanx for digging thru the TM's.

as to how to structure threads...... either works but IMHO a thread on each topic works best when it comes to others having the ability to search threads for information on how to fix/upgrade their own truck.

You might in addition consider a bit of a newer way to go about a "build/Blog thread". Create a date order blog-ish "build and go" thread which contains, bloviating, trips, fun etc. ALONG with links to others threads (you own or someone else's)where you posted questions/got answers; followed with your up on fix/repair post inside that thread. That way sorta offers the best of both worlds to readers. A place to follow your story from start and beyond with links making it easy to jump over to threads with more details about fixup/upgrades you partook in....... yet cause of those seperate threads; you've also made it easier for folk searching for fixup/upgrade info specifically and not so much so... the whole story

IMHO of course.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most every FMTV gremlin has been dealt with on this forum, the two you REALLY want to pay attention to are the old style fan rubber fan mount, which comes apart and sends the fan into the radiator; and driveshaft play at the spline joint, vibration from which causes the accessories to be shed from the engine, and can crack oil lines and the engine front cover if the air compressor support bracket vibrates loose.

jmb6741

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the love hate relationship you will have with that truck, love when it works and hate when another mystery pops up!

Asymair95

Thank you guys. I have been inspecting all the gotcha points on the truck since I got her home. Found a few loose items so far, so will be pulling the driveshafts and getting them inspected and balanced. Found a front left engine mount bolt backed all the way out rubbing on the bottom of the air compressor, lots of loose band clamps, all starter mounting bolts loose, with one backed all the way out, and a few missing driveshaft bearing retainer bolts. I won’t be driving this thing for awhile I guess...lol.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks