• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up a used MilSpec Magnum MMG25 for emergency power

Kenber

I've just picked up a NSN 6115-01-531-0571 2009 Magnum MMG25 from a surplus auction.
The Isuzu engine label says it is a Model 4LE1NYGV-03 photo attached. The paint on the engine looks fresh like it may have been to rehab recently and hasn't run much since. Label on the fuel tank says it is 46 gal.
I did find a label indicating NSN, Gen Set, with what appears to be a contract # M98823-3182-FLA1, 1ea C/C P 000, Rec-15-1434, the serial nr, and a date 03-19-2015.
The Generator according to online info is supposed to be a 23.8 KVA Marathon Electric 282PSL1505 (1705). I can be sure of this because I can't find a legible label on the Generator. I'm still looking for more info on it.
The control panel on this unit is a small LED screen with two toggle switches for on/of and starting. Two of the three bolts that hold the top of the panel were missing. Looks like someone was searching for something. I think I now know what, see below next few sentences.
Prior to auction the engine was started and ran smooth as silk and Gen produced electricity.
I did a test start, after turning the breakers off, checking the oil and coolant, when I got it home and it ran for about a about a minute, then there was a pop, a flash and the engine shut down with a low oil fault. It appears that I've got a loose electrical connection somewhere in the box. I disconnected the battery immediately. I'm going to hunt it today.
I hope someone can suggest somethings I should check. I'm attaching some photos that show the cleanless of the engine and one will show the only damage I have found which was to the corner of the outer case/cabinet. I have already pulled that dent out. It appears their fork lift driver needs additional training.
I going to try and attach some photos of the condition of this unit.
Thanks in advance for any information or advice, KenDSC00043.jpgDSC00048.jpgDSC00045.jpgDSC00041.jpgDSC00036.jpgDSC00031.jpgDSC00025.jpgDSC00026.jpg

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm dealing with a 55kw magnum for a customer.
Magnum was bought out by Generac. They are now Generac Mobile, which is separate from the regular Generac equipment/dealer. I'm in the process of getting myself set up as a vendor with them.

I called and talked to one of their parts guys last week, was very helpful to me.

920-361-4442 or 1-800-926-9768 should get you to them if you need anything, but they can't give parts pricing unless you have a dealer account apparently.

Kenber

I reconnected the battery to see if the starter would engage. It would not engage. The LED display lights up and says it has a low oil pressure fault. This would be true, because it is not running. I know for fact it has plenty of oil because I just changed it. The fault does not clear even with the battery disconnected.

I'm returning to the shop now to start looking for a short in the wiring. The display does also state this unit has a total of 1470.4 hours.

I've been trying to find the oil pressure sender on this one... thinking it might be the problem. If what I think is the OPS sensor in the attached photo, it is unlike any I've ever seen before, but I've only had experience with gas engines, not diesels and this is diesel. This diesel is from the Isuzu 4LE1 series and runs at 1800 rpms.

What I think is the OPS sensor is just alittle above and behind the oil filter in this picture. It is gold in color and threaded with two wires coming out of it.

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
I reconnected the battery to see if the starter would engage. It would not engage. The LED display lights up and says it has a low oil pressure fault. This would be true, because it is not running., (Yes, as long as its not running, it will come up as low oil ) I know for fact it has plenty of oil because I just changed it. The fault does not clear even with the battery disconnected.

I'm returning to the shop now to start looking for a short in the wiring. The display does also state this unit has a total of 1470.4 hours.

I've been trying to find the oil pressure sender on this one..., (lets put that hold hod a bit. The sender may be good) thinking it might be the problem. If what I think is the OPS sensor in the attached photo, it is unlike any I've ever seen before, but I've only had experience with gas engines, not diesels and this is diesel. This diesel is from the Isuzu 4LE1 series and runs at 1800 rpms.

What I think is the OPS sensor is just alittle above and behind the oil filter in this picture. It is gold in color and threaded with two wires coming out of it.
If you are talking about the threaded Do-Hicky, no, that's the MPU.

If you had a short, there could be a fuse or circuit breaker popped. I have never seen one of these sets, so don't know my way around it. Do you have manuals for it? Schematic?

Kenber

If you had a short, there could be a fuse or circuit breaker popped. I have never seen one of these sets, so don't know my way around it. Do you have manuals for it? Schematic?
I haven't been able to find a manual for this particular 2009 system. I have located a manual for the newer touch pad type controller units. I'm still looking though. Like you I don't think it is the OPS sensor. I'm in the process of checking for blown fuses or loose connections... none so far. Now you've refreshed my thoughts some... I'm going back to the shop in a few tics and I'll also reset all of the circuit breakers too!

I'm trying to find a manual and/or schematic on the Isuzu 4cly diesel too. These milspec units are all custom built so finding something on the regular sites is tough, but I never give up on the search.

I did manage to find a label on the generator, but I can't get to it right now to photograph it. I have to take an end panel or side panel to get to it. When I get to that I'll be able to get to more of the connections to make sure all are secure.

Many thanks for the assistance, Ken

Kenber

As of last night I haven't found any blown fuses or breakers. I'm going to start circuit continuity checks with my trusty old Fluke 77 this morning.

I've looked at the control panel circuit boards and see no burn marks or cracks. I have also been looking for burn marks on wiring harnesses and connections, but none so far. In my opinion there has to be one somewhere. That bright flash had to be from a short.

It looks like I'm going to have to call Generac today to see where I can purchase a 2009 maintenance and repair manual for this unit. It is my understanding you can't buy from them, you must go through one of their dealers. That may be another issue for me. So far I haven't found one of their dealers in the south Georgia area.

Back to the search. When I find something, I will post it here.

Thanks, Ken

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As of last night I haven't found any blown fuses or breakers. I'm going to start circuit continuity checks with my trusty old Fluke 77 this morning.

I've looked at the control panel circuit boards and see no burn marks or cracks. I have also been looking for burn marks on wiring harnesses and connections, but none so far. In my opinion there has to be one somewhere. That bright flash had to be from a short.

It looks like I'm going to have to call Generac today to see where I can purchase a 2009 maintenance and repair manual for this unit. It is my understanding you can't buy from them, you must go through one of their dealers. That may be another issue for me. So far I haven't found one of their dealers in the south Georgia area.

Back to the search. When I find something, I will post it here.

Thanks, Ken
If nothing else they might be able to give you a part number for the manual. At that point you should be able to order it through a dealer, but if it's like the control panel, you'll have to contact the Industrial dealer for the manual.

Kenber

Coug, I've contacted Generac requesting dealer info and manual part nr for the year and model I have. It will probably be a day or two before they get back to me. Finding info on the civilian models is easy, but the industrial models that are military surplus is another story. I did find some minor information on the diesel that powers this genset. Isuzu stated that this 4le1 series engine was only used in military and industrial generators. This unit was a Marine Corp genset.

I have found no burns or scorch marks anyplace on the unit. However the control circuit boards are stacked on top of each other. I have to take the screws out to check the bottoms of the boards tomorrow. I'm hoping, no praying it's not one of those two boards. It's going to be a night mare if it is.

Thanks for the information, Ken

Kenber

It definitely had not run much since it was overhauled. The new black paint had not even cooked on the engine block. Also I just found the label on the Generator and it is a Marathon 361PSL1602. I'm trying to get a good picture of that label so I'll have more info on it. On one site it states that model is a 65KW, on another site it states that model is a 48KW. I bought it as a 23.8 KVA which according to a conversion chart should be close to 19KW.

I don't know if the KW rating is year dependent or not. The one is supposed to be a 2009, but since it has been to a overhaul maintenance facility it may have a different year generator in it.

I can see now, getting info on thes things is totally label and year dependent and manuals are hard as hens teeth to get.

Thanks for responding, Ken

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
https://www.marcorsyscom.marines.mil/Portals/105/pdmeps/docs/MEP/B0930.pdf

20kw rated unit. Shouldn't have anything to do with year of build or rebuild or any of that stuff.

These were an "emergency acquisition" to the military, bought outside the normal set of rules, and the impression I'm getting is they only number in the hundreds, so wasn't a big need to push out repair manuals and parts manuals to the military supply system like the MEP series.

Kenber

Coug, thanks for the info. I did manage to get the model nr from the generator. It is a Marathon 361PSL1602.

Also, a friend came over and we jumper-ed the starter. It spins but does not kick the bendix out to engage the flywheel. I'm going to remove it in the morning. It got hot here this afternoon at 75 I don't do heat to well anymore.

Generac sent me a list of authorized dealers and it seems most of them are a 100 or miles away. I may have to load it up and take it to them, hope now though. This thing is heavy.

I appreciate the info. I did not realize this was an emergency acquisition. Must have been a high demand time in the states and overseas. It was definitely used in one of the desert areas. I can tell by the light color fine dust sand. Ken

Kenber

I've been out changing the oil in my 2.2 ltr 4 cyl Isuzu 4le1 diesel. I don't have any manuals, but I did find information on the net regarding the capacities on the newer versions of this engine. The information I've found so far says this engine holds 8.6 qts of oil including filter.

Not having the actual manual for this engine I put 5 qts in and the stick showed 1 qt low. I added a 6th qt and it is showing right on the full mark. Now I am puzzled. Does it hold 6 or 8.6 qts of oil as the online info says the newer versions of this engine?

My engine is in a 20kw MMG25 USMC generator. This particular unit was built in 2009, but I have found that same 4LE1 series engine all the way back into the 80's. I'm wondering if older engines held as much oil since they were in the PUP truck.

Dose anyone one have one of the 4LE1's in a unit in the year range of 2005 to 2009? If so could you tell me the oil capacity. I think I saw some of the MEP sets having this same engine.

Thanks Ken

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Kenber

I appreciate that confirmation of the oil capacity. When looking at the oil pan physical size it just didn't look like an 8qt pan to me. I've never used anything other than the high speed gas 7.5 KW units before. Now I'm learning a new machine. Without manuals exactly like the ones that came with it makes it difficult. It's like hunting in the dark. Thanks for the .PDF links. I'm going there right now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks