• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Custom Security System

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My M1028 stays locked up in my conditioned warehouse under my monitored security system 24/7. However after I get my P400/700R4 installed, I plan on driving it every day and enjoying it, and occasionally it will be left alone in a parking lot for a few minutes while I buy more ammo or food. I am already experiencing extreme anxiety about leaving the truck unattended and vulnerable. As many of you know, I have been building this rig for 9 years and invested quite a sum of cash into it. And I am not finished yet. Still to come is a mobile Ham radio, satellite link, and my bug-out box in back. It will be a great vehicle to steal for sure.

Does anybody know a company which will design and install a custom security system in the truck? I know what I want and how I want it to perform, however the mechanics of the system are way above my pay grade. Redundant GPS tracking, train horns activated by proximity sensors, and motion-activated video are a few of the features I want. I have looked at all the available systems offered in today's marketplace, however none have what I am looking for.

If anybody can steer me in the right direction for a company or individual to build and install the system, I will greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your referrals.

Copy of DSC02967.JPG

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please, serious replies only. I am not going to install a manual transmission to keep somebody from stealing my truck. Jeez.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hidden switch under the dash to kill the power to the fuel shut off solenoid. Something not noticeable but readily found by feel for the person who knows what it is.

I know of one guy that did the kill switch but he installed another dimmer switch on the floor so one click was power on then the next click is power off.

Or if you have an inline electric fuel pump you can add a wireless car alarm that will drop the power to the pump when you hit the arm button. Or kill the fuel solenoid power.

Last edited:

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hidden switch under the dash to kill the power to the fuel shut off solenoid. Something not noticeable but readily found by feel for the person who knows what it is.

I know of one guy that did the kill switch but he installed another dimmer switch on the floor so one click was power on then the next click is power off.

Or if you have an inline electric fuel pump you can add a wireless car alarm that will drop the power to the pump when you hit the arm button. Or kill the fuel solenoid power.
Thanks. That will certainly prevent the truck from cranking, but it can still be stolen easily. Ever watch “Repo Man” on TV? I want some train horns wired to proximity sensors at each door handle and above the rear glass inside. A tripped sensor would also link up to a satellite to an ap on my iPhone. This is the type of system I am looking for. LoJack comes close but I need to speak with them tomorrow to see if they can design the system.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks. That will certainly prevent the truck from cranking, but it can still be stolen easily. Ever watch “Repo Man” on TV? I want some train horns wired to proximity sensors at each door handle and above the rear glass inside. A tripped sensor would also link up to a satellite to an ap on my iPhone. This is the type of system I am looking for. LoJack comes close but I need to speak with them tomorrow to see if they can design the system.
then install an electric shift lock where it cant come out of park unless power thru that switch is applied or interrupted. Or an electric line lock that will apply the brakes with the line lock energized thru the security system.

if you are that overly paranoid then i don't know what to tell you. I don't think a cucv is a hot item on the stealing list. and if they are going to go thru all the trouble to hide a stinger under their truck to just steal truck to drag it off. then i don't know what to tell ya other than park it in a vault and you won't have that issue.

Maybe check with profo about one of those offshore fog horns and you can mount that in the bed for your security alarm so itll blow all their ear drums out along with your windows.

i have alot more money into a 5 ton really and i tend to leave it running in parking lots but the again like snowtrac said noone knows how to operate the transmission in order to drive it off.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing with loJack is it is interactive with police , if it's in a building they can still find it . It is getting real popular with heavy construction equipment .

DeadParrot

I would be careful with the proximity stuff. Many years ago there was a short lived alarm system that would detect people within a couple feet and say something like "Please step away from the car!" Enough folks reacted to the rather pretentious warning by scratching the paint, kicking a door panel or smashing one of the windows with a rock that that particular part of the system quit being offered. The train horns might seem like a good idea but could lead to a lawsuit over hearing damage. Especially if the one receiving the blast was a curious 6 year old.

Now with modern tech, instead of an audible warning, maybe a signal to your phone with a link to the on board fisheye camera so you can evaluate the situation and react accordingly. Thinking something like the Amazon ring doorbell adverts where the owner tells the would be thieves to take a hike if the folks close by look to be thieves rather then folks just curious about your truck.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think sensory overload.

You can get some pain generators (very high pitched loud speakers) mounted inside along with some strobes also mounted inside. Even if the alarm is ignored by you and your neighbors, they won't be able to sit inside long.

I have most of the parts to do this in my M1009, just haven't gotten around to it yet. I did install the flashing LED though, so that's a deterrent.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The use of train horns is illegal in most states.
Unless on a real train of course.

If someone wants it bad enough, they will take it.
Knowing where it went is the key.
GPS trackers are worthless inside warehouses/buildings.
LoJack is probably your best bet.
The hidden kill switch is my personal choice.

There is another tracking option, but it’s not available to civilians.
Government use only.
We have the tracking receiver installed in the Helicopters.
Simply amazing.
That’s about as detailed as I can get about it.

I never leave mine unattended for very long.
When I do, I use the steering wheel chain lock.
Not foolproof but is a good deterrent.

I know how you feel, but relax and enjoy your truck
Just never park where it’s out of your sight.

MarcusOReallyus

Yes, that's overkill. I once read about a system that is sold in overseas (but not here, for some reason) that includes flamethrowers shooting out the sides of the car.

That might do the trick.

Speaking of train horns, I once installed a phone in a Ford F350 that had train horns shoehorned in under the hood. The air tank was a long, slender unit mounted under the bed alongside the frame rail.

Yes, it was loud.

How about putting the train horn inside the cab, on a 5 or 10 second delay? :mrgreen:

TechnoWeenie

Steel Soldiers Supporter
APRS.
APRS trackers can switch relays via an APRS message, like the OpenTracker2... Hook it to the fuel shutoff solenoid.

You'll have location AND the ability to remotely shut it down.

cruzer747

I found this thread by reading up to see if Sharecropper had gone through with the 700r4 install yet.... planning on going with the kit from PATC myself as it does seem like they get you all of what you need.... Anyhow, this is an area where I may be able to help. I too share your anxiety about leaving your baby just sitting on the street. In my work truck I have successfully married 3 systems that do pretty much all of what I want. I do not want to tell you how much time it took but I will say in the end there is easily about $1500 materials/supplies into it but worth every penny.

First is a viper alarm with 2 way communication (can alert the fob of alarm from a quarter mile away). This was professionally installed. Standard sensors and starter kill switch when armed.

Second is a 4g gps tracker. It features (2) relay outputs controlled via text. One can kill the fuel. The other I have not used yet... It has battery backup in case power is cut to the vehicle. Tow alarm (moving w/o ignition.) Alarm output from the viper is routed to it so if the alarm goes off you will also get a text (all of these with gps link) low battery alarm... plenty of other things that do not need to be mentioned. Obviously you need cell service for any of the communication to happen but if you are in a no service area and you sned the command to kill fuel.... lemme tell you, it will kill it at the first hint of cell service, right about when you forgot you had sent it (I was testing the unit out, that was fun) Also you can use it as an alarm (with only door monitering so you can leave your dog in windows down and if a door is opened it will set off alarm as well as text. Dog would set off vibration alarm if Viper was armed.) Oh, this requires a basic 4g text plan. Shopping around I found one that gives plenty of overhead for about $3/mo.

Third and the most costly and time consuming part is an 8ch 1080p MDVR. Fabbing up custom housings to be waterproof and stealth took time and trial and error. Alibaba was my friend here. Lots of trial, error, learning. SSD drive, basically it turns on manually or when the viper turns on. Proximity sensor for the cab and pir sensor for the bed. Both of these sensors will trigger 940nm IR when dark (invisible to the bad guys so the do not know they are on camera for fear of vandalism/reprisal) Sensors also highlight which time segments had activity for reviewing... The interface is a little clunky and not geared towards security... more towards fleet management but it is a rock solid system. When the market demand is high enough and a more security minded MDVR comes available I am sure the cameras will work with it and I could swap it out. Would love to have video playback over wifi. It does have gps and overlays speed while driving as well as location etc.

Lastly, all of this requires lots of juice. I have a spare 100ah AGM as well as a 160w solar panel nestled up in the lumber rack. Armed during the day it is still charging(starting batteries first then overflowing to the AGM. At night running no IR it is probably about a 4a load between all 3 systems, and when the IR comes on that adds about another 3 amps. The IR turns off after 2 minutes.

Unfortunately you will likely have to cobble something together yourself but feel free to pick my brain here or via pm.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this thread by reading up to see if Sharecropper had gone through with the 700r4 install yet.... planning on going with the kit from PATC myself as it does seem like they get you all of what you need.... Anyhow, this is an area where I may be able to help. I too share your anxiety about leaving your baby just sitting on the street. In my work truck I have successfully married 3 systems that do pretty much all of what I want. I do not want to tell you how much time it took but I will say in the end there is easily about $1500 materials/supplies into it but worth every penny.

First is a viper alarm with 2 way communication (can alert the fob of alarm from a quarter mile away). This was professionally installed. Standard sensors and starter kill switch when armed.

Second is a 4g gps tracker. It features (2) relay outputs controlled via text. One can kill the fuel. The other I have not used yet... It has battery backup in case power is cut to the vehicle. Tow alarm (moving w/o ignition.) Alarm output from the viper is routed to it so if the alarm goes off you will also get a text (all of these with gps link) low battery alarm... plenty of other things that do not need to be mentioned. Obviously you need cell service for any of the communication to happen but if you are in a no service area and you sned the command to kill fuel.... lemme tell you, it will kill it at the first hint of cell service, right about when you forgot you had sent it (I was testing the unit out, that was fun) Also you can use it as an alarm (with only door monitering so you can leave your dog in windows down and if a door is opened it will set off alarm as well as text. Dog would set off vibration alarm if Viper was armed.) Oh, this requires a basic 4g text plan. Shopping around I found one that gives plenty of overhead for about $3/mo.

Third and the most costly and time consuming part is an 8ch 1080p MDVR. Fabbing up custom housings to be waterproof and stealth took time and trial and error. Alibaba was my friend here. Lots of trial, error, learning. SSD drive, basically it turns on manually or when the viper turns on. Proximity sensor for the cab and pir sensor for the bed. Both of these sensors will trigger 940nm IR when dark (invisible to the bad guys so the do not know they are on camera for fear of vandalism/reprisal) Sensors also highlight which time segments had activity for reviewing... The interface is a little clunky and not geared towards security... more towards fleet management but it is a rock solid system. When the market demand is high enough and a more security minded MDVR comes available I am sure the cameras will work with it and I could swap it out. Would love to have video playback over wifi. It does have gps and overlays speed while driving as well as location etc.

Lastly, all of this requires lots of juice. I have a spare 100ah AGM as well as a 160w solar panel nestled up in the lumber rack. Armed during the day it is still charging(starting batteries first then overflowing to the AGM. At night running no IR it is probably about a 4a load between all 3 systems, and when the IR comes on that adds about another 3 amps. The IR turns off after 2 minutes.

Unfortunately you will likely have to cobble something together yourself but feel free to pick my brain here or via pm.
Thanks Cruzer. I will indeed reach out to you when the day comes to begin designing and installing my security system. It sounds like your system is just about what I am looking for.

Regarding my 700R4, I will comment in your thread over in the CUCV Modification forum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks