• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Brakes weak

Bucolic

Has anyone found a cure for the anemic air-over-hydraulics brakes on the M35A2? My son has one he has converted into a motorhome and he really likes using it as such. However, due to the wimpy brakes, he's considering selling it. Is there a way to fix the brakes so you don't need a half mile to stop?

bachman502

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like he needs to check to make sure all of his brake shoes are adjusted correctly. Although mine isn’t normally loaded, I can lock up all my tires unloaded.

montaillou

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm...the truck weighs just shy of 7 tons, empty. I don't know what kind of weight the motorhome adds to it, but there's only so much you can do with a heavy truck. I'm pretty impressed with the stopping of the deuce, all things considered. Best way to stop is to plan for it. I can lock up the breaks to a full skid but it's still a matter of friction tires vs road. If you want to stop faster, there's really only one way, lighten the load - in other words, don't drive a big truck.

What, exactly, are you hoping for?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone found a cure for the anemic air-over-hydraulics brakes on the M35A2? My son has one he has converted into a motorhome and he really likes using it as such. However, due to the wimpy brakes, he's considering selling it. Is there a way to fix the brakes so you don't need a half mile to stop?
Disc Brake Engineering Thread
[h=1]disk brake conversions parts[/h]
[h=1]5.9 Cummins, NV4500, Hydro-boost, and Disc Brakes[/h]
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthr...-for-the-Duece <--although some out of date info

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

Service the brakes throughout properly.
My trucks all stop well.
My M62 Wrecker dials in a a whopping 22 tons with all the kit it carries,
I can easily lock the wheels!.
However..Does it "Stop" Quickly? NO...,
I would respectfully suggest your son attends a Trucking School first,And or carry out the maintenance in tandem with that. (Assuming he has not already obtained an H.G.V. Licence).

Oerthedge21

The brakes working effectively and the truck stopping quicky are two different things. I have the same issue with my truck. I understand that even if you lock the brakes up the truck isn't going to stop in a short distance. However, my brakes are also weak to the point that my truck will not lock up the wheels. That's one of the next things up in the docket once I figure out why the thing keeps ticking

Last edited:

Lead Farmer 5.56

I to have a M35a2/m109a3. I have the rear axles converted to disc brakes and plan on converting the front as well as adding hydro-boost and dual circuit master cylinder. Until then, I just have the rears done and the airpac brake single circuit. The issue I am having is, that after the truck sits for a time, the brake pedal has to be pumped like there is air in the system. Once pumped up, it'll lock them up and skid to a halt. Not finding any leaks in the system and performing a second bleed procedure on the truck. Anyone aware if there is a residual pressure valve in the master cylinder or airpac from the old drum brakes like older passenger vehicles? I know that when converting old passenger rigs to disc, you have to removes that valve so that the calipers do not drag once the pedal is released. My understanding is that the residual pressure valve was there to prevent the return springs from collapsing the wheel cylinders too fast and drawing air into the system. Any help, input, and ideas would be appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks