• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Generator repair

Mattell

I am located in the mid Hudson valley, I own several military generators. I am looking for a technician. I have a mep806 that makes power while the start/run switch is turned all the way clock wise. Once released to the run spot it no longer makes power. 2nd I have a Mep804 that seams to have a fuel issue under load. Both machines are reset super low hours. Winter is coming and I have run out of time. I would like the units ready and reliable.
I am hoping for some recommendations for people who can service and repair the units for me. Thank you in advance for for any assistance.

Regards

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Guyfang

Staff member
I am located in the mid Hudson valley, I own several military generators. I am looking for a technician. I have a mep806 that makes power while the start/run switch is turned all the way clock wise. Once released to the run spot it no longer makes power. (Do you have the Quad MWO installed on your gen set?)

2nd I have a Mep804 that seams to have a fuel issue under load. Both machines are reset super low hours. Winter is coming and I have run out of time. I would like the units ready and reliable.
I am hoping for some recommendations for people who can service and repair the units for me. Thank you in advance for for any assistance.

Regards

We need more info then what is here. Trying to sort out two problems in one thread is hard to keep track of. Suggest you start another thread for the second gen set.

1. Do you have the manuals for both gen sets? Have you read the operators manual yet?
2.Have you looked at the troubleshooting guide yet?
3. Are the sets new to you?
4. Have you ever seen them work right?
5. Can you read schematics?
6. You have not i.D.ed the gen sets. 806A or 806B, 804A or 804B?
7. Describe what happens when your faults appear. Do you get idiot lights? Tell us what happens, and in what sequence it happens.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am over in central MA, but have never tinkered with the bigger machines. The manuals will be invaluable here from the simple troubleshooting aspect. Can you describe what you mean by a 'fuel issue' on the 804?

Mattell

Thanks folks for the assistance. When I got the 804 it ran poorly. I found a dry rotted split fuel line. I replace and primed the system. Ran well with some sporadic short term chugging for an hour or so while I had the coolant circulate. I had it connected to a small load, several lights on in the building. The machine was empty of all fluids when I picked it up. Full teir 2 reset machine.
Last night the machine started ok, sounded to be smooth no missing with no load. When I tried to put a load on it rpm's dropped and it was struggling. It surged for a very short period then sounded like I pulled a plug wire on a 4 cyl gas engine. It was late so I shut it down a got a different machine. I needed power to close the building up.

Mattell

The specs. 2002 Fremont mep-804a nsn 6115013199033. The other is a 1995 Libby Corp meo-806a skid unit. Both machines are full reset under 20 hours each. I think they're unit was decommissioned and just sat around for years.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Whats the exhaust look like? So you havent seen either of these run at full capacity yet then? I think you need to get the 804 loaded down, incrementally, to see if the exhaust color changes, and if you are getting carbon particulate strewn out. You need to see at what point the machine the machine starts to act poorly. As for the 806, how long are you holding the start switch before releasing?

Mattell

I had the 804 under a full load for a short period a couple months ago ran clean did a work in the shop. Week later started ok, then started missing when I put under a load, 40% I think it started chugging. Lots of black smoke.

Mattell

The 806 I start normally, hold the switch until I get oil pressure and see the dials indicate power. 5 seconds maybe to the release run position. That's when I notice upon releasing the switch that the power dropped off. While still running if I turn clock wise to the start position again the power goes back to 60 hz and voltage shows 220. Release and still running. No power. Runs great though.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,

fuel.

How old is the fuel?
Have all the fuel filters been changed?
Do you have algae growth in the fuel?
Is the fuel treated?

Any surplus generator which you want to depend on, needs a good 3-5 hour hard run.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike is right on point here. I would personally change every filter I could on a new set, and clean out the fuel tank and make sure you are starting fresh. Load it up with good, clean, stabilized (all agents including a solid biocide) and a full can of Seafoam... and get it loaded down to as close to 100% as you can muster, for a few hours.

Mattell

Thanks guys for the follow up. All the generators I have purchase have been completely empty, bone dry. New oil and fuel filters and fluids, even though it felt like I was thinking new stuff out. Sourced everything from Napa and used rotella t. Once filled I ran them to reach temps and circulate the coolant. While running I connected to the building with lights on to have a 30-40% load. Have had pretty good luck so far. Concerned about a clogged injector or bad injector pump. I have ran this building on gensets since 2015.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
30-40% isnt gonna do it to clean a machine out unfortunately. You need to get that pig up to as close to 100% as you can.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, with this added information, thats knocks the fuel issue out then.

The MEP-806 is going to be a electrical issue if the genhead will not stay excited.

Hey Guy!

Last edited:

Mattell

Maybe on the percentage. The machine only had 4 hours on it. Wanted her to brake in smooth. I have had luck with sea foam on 600-700 hour machines cleaning up. This one had a new Melton unit, looked brand new...

Guyfang

Staff member
We need more info then what is here. Trying to sort out two problems in one thread is hard to keep track of. Suggest you start another thread for the second gen set.

1. Do you have the manuals for both gen sets? Have you read the operators manual yet?
2.Have you looked at the troubleshooting guide yet?
3. Are the sets new to you?
4. Have you ever seen them work right?
5. Can you read schematics?
6. You have not i.D.ed the gen sets. 806A or 806B, 804A or 804B?
7. Describe what happens when your faults appear. Do you get idiot lights? Tell us what happens, and in what sequence it happens.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK
MEP-804A with a reset tag dated? with 4 hours on the meter, all fluids drained when picked up.

MEP-806A with a reset tag dated? with how many hours?, all fluids drained here too?

Break each unit down with, have either units worked correctly? How often do you run them? What do you mean about circulate coolant?

I also know what you are looking for. I hope someone up in the neck of the woods, with these genset experience can stop by to assist.

Mattell

Quad mwo

Hello folks. Both machines have the large bus fuse. The fuse was missing on the 806 when I did my start up on it. I put one in from another 806 I have. Machine powered the building during start up and blew. With a good fuse it only makes power when start switch held to far clockwise position. I have downloaded and printed the manuals for both machines. Couple thousand pages total. I am getting a better meter tonight that has a Hertz scale if needed. Been raining here for a few days. Hopefully I will be able to spend a couple hours checking the machines later tonight.
Regards

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks