• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Noise

Chief B

Not sure if y'all remember the noise mine started making when I was on the highway or not. Attached is a recording of it. Anyway, Upon starting to take it apart to see the culprit, I found a couple bent pushrods on the passenger side. From doing a little research, I see that keeping this at high RPMs can bend these, but will this alone cause this noise? Just curious if I could get away with simply putting a new set of pushrods in or if I need to continue taking it apart.
View attachment HMMWV engine noise.wmv1.png2.png3.png

Chief B

I would put in a new set and see if the noise goes away--seems like it would be easy to try
That is what I was thinking too. Figure it will be much easier to put it back together at this point than to continue to tear it down more.

Another question is does anybody know the part number for this?
IMG_2860.jpg
As soon as I put power to the run position this just smokes so I want to replace it while I have it torn apart.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cold advance switch, normally closed circuit, has 24v to the injection pump, at 120 degrees, opens and retards the pump timing, when energized, advances timing for easy starts and better cold running.
ive had numerous smoke over the years, just replace it. In the mean times unplug the leads.

Chief B

Thank you. I thought that was what it was, but was not positive. I was able to find one without the part number from HPG. Will definitely be putting new one in since summer is about over and winter is on its way.

dougco1

Thank you. I thought that was what it was, but was not positive. I was able to find one without the part number from HPG. Will definitely be putting new one in since summer is about over and winter is on its way.
You would like that switch working all the time, better for the motor.

Chief B

Yea I was thinking that it is obviously there for a reason so I ight as well replace it. Next problem is getting the dang thing out. I have tried everything and it will not budge.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea I was thinking that it is obviously there for a reason so I ight as well replace it. Next problem is getting the dang thing out. I have tried everything and it will not budge.

cut the wires off, use a 6 point socket, use propane torche to heat it up, it has sealant on the threads.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this is a great opportunity to purchase a new power plant.

thanks for posting. That sounds like the noise mine makes, iv been bad and just kept on driving it lol. i put almost 4k on it like that
Good luck with all that work--Take your time--lots of good info on this site--Keep it fun and do not keep track on how much you spend----------
iv spent more then i payed for it so far
I think this is a great opportunity to purchase a new power plant.
thats what i did, 6.5t here we come

papakb

An engine is an engine is an engine is an engine. Did you ever consider just taking it to a shop and having them look at it? Just blindfold the tech and lead him to the vehicle. Do not allow him to see the HMMWV or he'll panic and run away screaming. Once you get him into the engine compartment and he sees a common Chevy V8 diesel his head will stop spinning and he can probably tell you what's happening. It's the fear of the green that clouds their vision. LOL :beer:

Chief B

An engine is an engine is an engine is an engine. Did you ever consider just taking it to a shop and having them look at it? Just blindfold the tech and lead him to the vehicle. Do not allow him to see the HMMWV or he'll panic and run away screaming. Once you get him into the engine compartment and he sees a common Chevy V8 diesel his head will stop spinning and he can probably tell you what's happening. It's the fear of the green that clouds their vision. LOL :beer:
I actually thought about that, but at this point I am just going to finish it. I’ve been unable to get a trailer to rent that is wide enough for it so that I can get it somewhere. Tow truck will do it, but charge a lot (I know, been towed twice already).

I did find a place that would probably work on it now, but since I already have it apart I’m just going to finish, but at least this place is willing to order parts for me. I’ve found that even though it is a common engine, going to parts store is a nightmare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if #15 was meant for me i figured it was a bent push rod since i listened to it with a pry bar narrowed it down to the passenger side head, cracked injectors no change and swapped injectors no change. i didnt feel like pulling it apart since it runs fine and i was planning on swapping it out anyway.
The auto tech has the pos car, carpenter has the pos house ect. ect. lol
if it wasnt meant for me, my bad

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks