• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 016c connection help

Seth_O

I've read through countless threads here and on smokestack and cant find a solution.

I'm trying to hook my mep016c up to my house. I've disconnected mains power, and have connected a jumper from L0 to the frame ground. I am getting ~120v on BOTH L1 and L2.

I am running L1 and L2 to each of my house legs. I am getting ~120v showing on both legs UNTIL I flip on a 120v breaker. Then one leg drops to ~0v and the other jumps to ~240v.

Here are my dial settings:

20191026_193414.jpg20191026_193426.jpg

Any help on what I am doing wrong?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took me a little while to find, but near the very end of TM 5-6115-271-14 it shows switch position "C" which is the 240V 1 phase uses L1 and L2 to give 240V. To have it as 120/240 would require a third terminal being used, so this is a 240V ONLY in this position, not 120/240.

https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?154721-All-the-TM-s-you-need-to-work-on-MEP-016A

over at the smokestak I found this thread where they also talk about it being only 240v, no 120.

https://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109251

The smokestak thread does mention where to add a jumper to get 120/240V out of it, but you're only talking 3kw total, so 1.5kw available on each leg. Might be enough to keep the lights on and maybe some entertainment, but you won't be using any appliances with it, and I doubt any 240 appliances in your home would run at that low of power.
Reality will be closer to 1800 or so watts per leg because they tend to under rate gen outputs for the military, but still not a whole lot.

Last edited:

Seth_O

I haven't run any other loads. I have tested the convenience outlets with the multimeter and have good power on them.

Mains power is disconnected via the cutoff breaker at the top of the box. I am feeding power in via a 240v breaker on the panel.

Once I jumped ground to L0, I did NOT connect L0 to the house neutral. Could that be the issue? I read mixed posts about that.

I can use the well pump, for some reason when I flip that breaker on I still get 2 legs of 120v.

With NO load, and no breakers turned on, I get 120v on each leg inside the main panel. If I flip on JUST the well pump (240v) I still show 120v on each leg. If I turn on ANY 120v breakers I get 0v on one leg and 240v on the other.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't run any other loads. I have tested the convenience outlets with the multimeter and have good power on them.

Mains power is disconnected via the cutoff breaker at the top of the box. I am feeding power in via a 240v breaker on the panel.

Once I jumped ground to L0, I did NOT connect L0 to the house neutral. Could that be the issue? I read mixed posts about that.

I can use the well pump, for some reason when I flip that breaker on I still get 2 legs of 120v.

With NO load, and no breakers turned on, I get 120v on each leg inside the main panel. If I flip on JUST the well pump (240v) I still show 120v on each leg. If I turn on ANY 120v breakers I get 0v on one leg and 240v on the other.
I changed my post to different information as what I found out completely changed everything that's needed to be known. Looks like you responded before I fixed it..
It also explains why your well pump being 240V is the only thing working right.

Seth_O

I think I can power just the necessities of my house (well pump and fridge) with this gennie. But I need to get 120/240 out of it for that to work.

I understand to jumper the connections, from there L0 should connect to the house neutral?

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, when you add the jumper then L0 becomes your neutral, and would have to be connected to the house neutral in order to do 120V loads.

Once you add the jumper just make sure you don't turn the selector knob to any other voltages as you could fry the generator by doing so. If it's possible to do so I'd just remove the knob entirely to be on the safe side.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and yeah, just the necessities being a well pump and fridge/lights shouldn't be an issue.
I do my house with an MEP-802A, so just under twice the output that you've got, and in all reality I could get by with a lot less if I planned to never use the hot water heater, oven, or dryer. Lights, a couple fridges and freezers, and a wood stove are all I need where I'm at, everything else is just a luxury.

Chainbreaker

Those preemptive power shutdowns & outages are certainly affecting a lot of people! Those CA fires with the Santa Ana winds are nothing to mess around with, Stay safe! I moved up to Oregon from Santa Rosa a few years ago and really feel for those having to evacuate and those experiencing property loss.

My wife is planning on driving on down to Central California coast (SLO) end of this week. I do hope the fires are somewhat under control by then. She will be taking I-5 to I-80 to I-680, so hoping the fires remain West of those roads and no new ones emerge!

strycnine

Wish I would've seen this earlier as I've used mine through two power outrages configured that way. Here's a pic in case someone else is looking.

Capture+_2019-10-29-22-00-42.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks