• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1008 acquisition and restore

HASSON1911

Got my 2nd delivery of the week, a 1986 M1008. Body is in great shape little surface rust and typical small dents but for 33 she's looking great.

Need to do repairs:
Speedo - needle spins and makes whine noise when you get driving.
Turn signal - no blinkers or high/lo function.
Coolant leak- noted a pretty good drool coming from the cap on a short 15min drive.

Modifications:
Manual gp switch
Doghead relay
Spin on fuel filter
Upgrade gp firewall solenoid
4in lift and 35" tires

It's too cold in ND but ocme spring the cab and chassis will be given rust stop and a bedliner and the body will receive 3 camo behr paint.

Pictures aren't working tonight but I'll get them loaded.

LT67

Got my 2nd delivery of the week, a 1986 M1008. Body is in great shape little surface rust and typical small dents but for 33 she's looking great.

Need to do repairs:
Speedo - needle spins and makes whine noise when you get driving.
Turn signal - no blinkers or high/lo function.
Coolant leak- noted a pretty good drool coming from the cap on a short 15min drive.

Modifications:
Manual gp switch
Doghead relay
Spin on fuel filter
Upgrade gp firewall solenoid
4in lift and 35" tires

It's too cold in ND but ocme spring the cab and chassis will be given rust stop and a bedliner and the body will receive 3 camo behr paint.

Pictures aren't working tonight but I'll get them loaded.
Depending on manufacturer, 35's vary in size. My BFG KM2 315 75 16s' where not even close to the advertised 34.8in tall. They barely measured 34in. Coopers tend to run a lil smaller as well.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a good stock example.
Shame it’s not going to stay that way.

Good Original trucks are getting harder to find and are worth the most money.
Modified ones are a dime a dozen.

HASSON1911

Looks like a good stock example.
Shame it’s not going to stay that way.

Good Original trucks are getting harder to find and are worth the most money.
Modified ones are a dime a dozen.
Nothings set in stone but for sure the modifications to preserve the truck including relay and solenoid modifications.

cucvrus

Nothings set in stone but for sure the modifications to preserve the truck including relay and solenoid modifications.
Do as you wish. I never done any relay or solenoid modifications in 24 years of owning them. Have I changed a few relays and solenoids? Yes. Along with a few transmissions, axles, engines, head gaskets, exhaust systems, fenders, doors, Etc. Etc. Etc. Keep them electrically stock and mechanically stock and ran them hard. I did put Trucklite LED headlamps in a few. And I Line Xed the floors. But the others are right stock clean unhacked CUCV's are hard to find. I never seen any CUCV's a dime a dozen. But I live in the rust belt we crush things when they get that worthless. Sometimes even way before that. Have a Great Day. Good Luck with your project. Get lots of 80 grit sand paper. Looks like you will need it. Life expectancy on a 5" 80 grit DA disc on that truck paint is less then a minute.

Liv2Dive2

Speedo is an easy fix, pull then gauge cluster and put a new speedo in...done several its not too bad, worst part is getting the dash off...if you want the millage to match thats a little tougher, im in the process of getting mine to match...if you decide you do want the millage to match shoot me a pm...ill be done in a week or so could do others with my rig if theres interest....took a while to find a viable solution to turn the speedo to change the millage.

cucvrus

May I recommend getting a speedometer that has close mileage and noting the mileage that the odometer was replaced.
Federal law requires that if the replacement odometer can’t register the same mileage as before, the replacement odometer must be set to zero miles and a mileage disclosure label attached to the driver doorjamb. The label must show the prior mileage and the date of the replacement or repair. If the true mileage is not known, the label must say : Previous mileage unknown.
On military CUCV trucks I have seen the million mile odometer and they had 10K miles on them. I knew that was not the actual mileage by looking at the truck. I used to have PA State Police come to my home and do VIN and speedometer verifications on the CUCV's I bought so I could get a PA title. A few had very low mileage and the trooper would mark the paperwork TMU. True mileage unknown. the PA title would reflect exempt from mileage. One of my M1009 that I had for 20 years had over 100K miles on it and I was cleaning and servicing the cluster. I attached a 1 decal in front of the odometer so when someone looked it showed 135K . Just something I done. I had The Dude M1028A1 with over 170K still a very operational truck. It's just a suggestion. Probably never get caught. But putting it on the internet about odometer changing is not great. Good Luck. Happy New Year. Be Safe.

Last edited:

Liv2Dive2

May I recommend getting a speedometer that has close mileage and noting the mileage that the odometer was replaced.
Federal law requires that if the replacement odometer can’t register the same mileage as before, the replacement odometer must be set to zero miles and a mileage disclosure label attached to the driver doorjamb. The label must show the prior mileage and the date of the replacement or repair. If the true mileage is not known, the label must say : Previous mileage unknown.
On military CUCV trucks I have seen the million mile odometer and they had 10K miles on them. I knew that was not the actual mileage by looking at the truck. I used to have PA State Police come to my home and do VIN and speedometer verifications on the CUCV's I bought so I could get a PA title. A few had very low mileage and the trooper would mark the paperwork TMU. True mileage unknown. the PA title would reflect exempt from mileage. One of my M1009 that I had for 20 years had over 100K miles on it and I was cleaning and servicing the cluster. I attached a 1 decal in front of the odometer so when someone looked it showed 135K . Just something I done. I had The Dude M1028A1 with over 170K still a very operational truck. It's just a suggestion. Probably never get caught. Put putting it on the internet about odometer changing is not great. Good Luck. Happy New Year. Be Safe.
Just for the record i was suggesting getting the millage to match, but Doing that isnt super simple, but i can help...otherwise you can go the millage unknown route, though i wouldnt suggest it considering its possible and relatively inexpensive to get them to match on these trucks

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks