• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce rear axle modification

HeNe

I've always wanted a deuce (for about 10 years now), and have never had the money, time, space or license to do it. However, I'll have a opportuity to buy a deuce in the next few weeks (from a private party, not an auction), and I have no time, enough money, and just enough space. It runs, but because a three axle vehicle requires a Class B Commercial Driver's License in CA (regardless of how it's registered), I won't be able to drive it (yet).

As such, I had thought about removing one of the rear axles (probably the front one) and running the deuce as a two-axle 'pickup truck' or 'van'. However, because of how the leaf springs are mounted on the deuce, I'm not sure this would work well. The axle might just drop enough to drag on the pavement.

Furthermore, eventually I would like to get a class B license and restore the deuce to it's stock glory, so I don't want to do anything too radical (e.g. a mudder or bobtail modification). I would like it to be semi-permanent, that is something that will not destroy any parts or axles if I run a few thousand miles on it while it is in a two-axle configuration.

One idea I had was to weld a bracket up that would hold the front axle up against the frame.

I know anything like this would severly limit the weight limit of the vehicle, but that wouldn't be an issue for me while I'm running it as a two-wheel vehicle.

Has anybody done this, or are there any suggestions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance. I've been a longtime MV nut, but only recently found steelsoldiers.

sermis

Do a search for bobed deuces.
Use the front springs and mounts from another deuce on the rear with one axel. You could remove the complete rear spring assembly as a unit and reinstall later if needed.

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, search under deuce modifiactions in regards to lock-out hubs on a rear axle. This frees things up and reduces some wear-and-tear. You might like to do this instead.

HeNe

Class B

I do plan on getting a class B (and have already started the paperwork), but I was hoping for a solution that I could do in the short term so that I could drive it around (and to the shop where I will do the work) without having to get another driver or hauler to move it for me. I also like the idea of being able to drive it without a worry about scales or weight classes.

I do like the idea of using the front springs and mounts - that's a great idea that I could do easily and then still put it back to stock when I get the Class B and the registration paperwork out of the way.

Thanks!

RE: Class B

Depending on the use you want, you can convert it to a RV by placing a camper or ? on it in a semi permanent manner. I am planning on using a shelter bolted to the back of mine and putting a crude camper scenerio together. This would get you out of many of the typical commercial vehicle rules. Be careful of how you use it. I do like the bobbed Idea though, but I bought my duece because of the 6x6 and have not yet convinced myself to loose the axle yet.

ygmir

I register my duece here in CA as an "historic vehicle" and, am then not required to get the class "B", but, can't use it commercially, for hire.......
There has been a lot of discussion about DL requirements regarding this, and, opinions vary.
From talking with local CHP, as long as I remain with the limits of the historic vehicle designaion, I'm ok...and it gives a fair amount of lattitude for using it yourself.

good luck.

Please check with the DMV not the CHP. CHP only enforces the rules of the vehicle code and that code states:

Any vehicle weighing more than 6000 pounds with 3 axles requires a commercial class B license. End of story.

Many times, normal CHP are not up to date on the true commercial laws. When you get pulled over by the pickup truck, you better be real nice and hope he is in a good mood or risk a commercial tow and impound.

Please verify your information. It is very clear on the first few pages of the commercial drivers handbook.

If someone here can quote the vehicle code that exempts drivers of historic vehicles from commercial licenses, I would like to know that code number and will carry it with me at all times.

tamangel

Ca House Car additions..

Nathan, I know you are up on this stuff and also into RV/camper/house car possiblities w/ your deuce:
..discussed this before:
House Car
CAVC section 362. A "house car" is a motor vehicle originally designed, or permanently altered, and equipped for human habitation, or to which a camper has been permanently attached. A motor vehicle to which a camper has been temporarily attached is not a house car except that, for the purposes of Division 11 (commencing with Section 21000) and Division 12 (commencing with Section 24000), a motor vehicle equipped with a camper having an axle that is designed to support a portion of the weight of the camper unit shall be considered a three-axle house car regardless of the method of attachment or manner of registration. A house car shall not be deemed to be a motortruck.
Amended Ch. 875, Stats. 1968. Effective November 13, 1968

Interesting comments, mostly medical related but house car topics..
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/lad/pdfs/housecar/hscr_finalsor.pdf

and another conversation:
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/about/lad/pdfs/housecar/hscr_notice.pdf

what I'm curious about is how everything (plates and DL's) works during the 'conversion process' (not a camper yet, bare frame, box only, bedding..)

Mike

"My parents were assimilated." -- Seven of Nine

RE: Ca House Car additions..

Initeresting information, it seems it is pre-vehicle code in nature though. The vehicle code is pretty small in regards to this.

To answer the question regarding this forum, I would have to expect that you will need the commercial license to move it around, but not sure. I currently have the historic plates but not the license, I figure I will get a buddy with commercial license to drive it if I need.

Since I do not want to steel this topic, when I figure out how to get my new shelter on top of my duece, I will start a new s371 shelter to RV conversion. Looking at the unit I now have, the wheels are already turning.

Thanks for the info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks