• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

fifth wheel

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The grooves in the face of the plate are, no doubt filled with dried grease & need to be cleaned. You will find zerk fittings under the plate too. That plate will tip horizontally, as well as fore & aft, for off road use. All mounting holes shall have bolts in them, of the proper size & grade, but not through the frame flange. Good find.

johan77

The grooves in the face of the plate are, no doubt filled with dried grease & need to be cleaned. You will find zerk fittings under the plate too. That plate will tip horizontally, as well as fore & aft, for off road use. All mounting holes shall have bolts in them, of the proper size & grade, but not through the frame flange. Good find.

in total i counted 8 zerk fittings, all cleaned and 2 replaced because they were broken, new grease pumped in all of them , also the bolts for the wedges are loose again and turning smooth….

johan77

do i need the spacers ? i've seen tractors with the fifth wheel directly on the chassis and still the height of the fifth wheel looked fine, and nice alligned with the 2 angled ramps in front of the fifth wheel … i wil look how it will appears when i install it on the truck, do you happen to know what's the thickness of these spacers just in case i might need them ?

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see your 5th wheel still has the adjusting wedges. They are the long narrow odd-shaped things sliding underneath from the front. They are held by one large hex bolt each, if I remember right they are either 1' hex or 1-1/16" on a deuce but I only have 5T tracs here. Yours appear NOT to be slid all the way back in the pic. All the way back is the on-road position and limits lateral (left-right) tilt of the 5th plate. The wedges can be slid forward to facilitate trailer tilt for off-road terrain. Maximum off-road tilt is obtained by removing the wedges completely. If you are only hauling on-road and do not anticipate needing any degree of trailer tilt, you should slide the wedges to the rear until the bolt has no more slot to go. It would be the safest position of the wedges if you're OTR. OTR trucks have no lateral tilt whatsoever. Perhaps you already know all this but since it hasn't been mentioned, I would like to add it here for those that may not know.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the spacers are 1/4” x 2”, just to provide a base for the fifth wheel above the frame rivets.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks