• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP 002A Oil cooler lines

ddavis8

I had an oil cooler hose blowout while running the generator recently and while I appreciate the rust preventative that it provided by spraying a mist of oil 6 feet away, I'd like to fix it. I took the hoses to our local hose place "Hose of South Texas" who I thought would have no problem making copies. They said this hose type is obsolete and the new hose is a different diameter therefore the fittings won't work with it. It sounds like my best option is to replace the fittings on the generator itself to use modern hose and fittings? The generator is currently a 4.5 hour drive away so I can't get to the fittings right now. Any insight on either replacement lines or replacing the fittings on the generator side?

Thanks
-Dan

Guyfang

Staff member
AAJDTHREAD CLASS2A 1ST END
AHNCCONNECTION STYLEFLARED (TUBE) 1ST END
AHNCCONNECTION STYLEPLAIN (PIPE) 2ND END
AHSJLEG LENGTH1 3/25 INCHES NOMINAL 2ND END
AHSJLEG LENGTH1 19/100 INCHES NOMINAL 1ST END
AWLSCONNECTION TYPETHREADED EXTERNAL PIPE 2ND END
AWLSCONNECTION TYPETHREADED EXTERNAL TUBE 1ST END
CQGMMAXIMUM OPERATING PRESSURE4600 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH SINGLE RESPONSE
CQJXNOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 3/8 INCHES 2ND END
CQJXNOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 3/4 INCHES 1ST END
CQRBSEAT ANGLE45 DEGREES 1ST END
CRFYFLOW ANGLE90 DEGREES
CWFDNOMINAL OUTSIDE DIAMETER TUBE ACCOMMODATED0 1/2 INCHES 1ST END
FEATSPECIAL FEATURESHEAVY DUTY
MATTMATERIALCOPPER ALLOY 377 OVERALL
MDCLMATERIAL DOCUMENT AND CLASSIFICATIONQQ-B-626,COMP 21 FED SPEC SINGLE MATERIAL RESPONSE OVERALL
MEDAMEDIA FOR WHICH DESIGNEDOIL 1ST RESPONSE
MEDAMEDIA FOR WHICH DESIGNEDREFRIGERATION COMPOUND 2ND RESPONSE
PRPYPROPRIETARY CHARACTERISTICSPACS
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORNPTF 2ND END
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORUNF 1ST END
TMQYFURNISHED ITEMS AND QUANTITY1 TUBE COUPLING NUT W/SLEEVE
ZZZKSPECIFICATION/STANDARD DATA81343-J513 PROFESSIONAL/INDUSTRIAL ASSOCIATION STANDARD
ZZZTNONDEFINITIVE SPEC/STD DATA11 FIGURE

This is the tech data for one of the fittings for the oil cooler system. If you went to the -24P TM and told me what fittings you wanted to know about, I could look and see if the data for those parts is still listed. Then you would at least know what size the fitting is that screws into, lets say the engine, or oil cooler.

Ray70

I have a parts machine with the shroud off, let me take a look tonight and see if I can tell what you would need to do to adapt it to modern fittings.
There is someone on ebay selling a whole kit and the lines look like either 90* SAE or JIC flare swivels on both ends, which are both easy to get. I'll see if I can verify that as well as if there are adapters in the motor that you could change to something else.
I like going to www.discounthydraulichose.com and you can build your own custom hoses for cheap, and they stock every imaginable type of fitting.

Chainbreaker

There is currently an oil hose listed on eBay if you look under "MEP-002a oil hose". Not sure its the one you need though... its PN: 501-0173 NSN#: 4720-01-048-9074

Edit: As Ray70 pointed out there is a complete oil cooler kit with hoses on eBay listed as "Oil Cooler mod. kit MEP-002A/3A mil Gen-set 2815-01-049-1189". You can zoom up on the last picture & it shows the hoses & fittings very clearly.

Last edited:

Ray70

humm... that hose looks different than the hoses in the oil cooler kit the other person is selling. In the add for the kit it also appears that the fittings are brazed onto the cooler itself, meaning you will not be able to change that to something different. I'll look when I get home and see what I can determine.

Chainbreaker

...If you went to the -24P TM and told me what fittings you wanted to know about, I could look and see if the data for those parts is still listed. Then you would at least know what size the fitting is that screws into, lets say the engine, or oil cooler.
In the 24P manual (dated Aug 31,1996 document pages 128/129) it shows the oil cooler and hoses as an assembly item 11: NSN 2815-01-049-1189 Cooler Assembly, Oil MFG P/N 102-0839

So there is not a breakout of the oil cooler hoses or fittings provided.

ddavis8

In the 24P manual (dated Aug 31,1996 document pages 128/129) it shows the oil cooler and hoses as an assembly item 11: NSN 2815-01-049-1189 Cooler Assembly, Oil MFG P/N 102-0839

So there is not a breakout of the oil cooler hoses or fittings provided.
It's one of these guys on the right of the image. I've got a pic of the line that I brought home with me, just waiting for it to upload. Will attach in a bit.
MEP Oil line.jpg

Guyfang

Staff member
In the 24P manual (dated Aug 31,1996 document pages 128/129) it shows the oil cooler and hoses as an assembly item 11: NSN 2815-01-049-1189 Cooler Assembly, Oil MFG P/N 102-0839 So there is not a breakout of the oil cooler hoses or fittings provided.
Depends. Same figure, page and so on, Item #2
AAGRCROSS-SECTIONAL SHAPE STYLEROUND
AAJDTHREAD CLASS2B 1ST END
AAJFTHREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND 1ST END
AAJFTHREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND 2ND END
AARXINSIDE DIAMETER0 1/2 INCHES NOMINAL
ABJHTEMP RATING-40 DEG FAHRENHEIT AND 200 DEG FAHRENHEIT SINGLE RESPONSE
ABKVOUTSIDE DIAMETER0 3/4 INCHES NOMINAL
ACKHMINIMUM INSIDE BENDING RADIUS3 INCHES
ADJSEXTERIOR COLORBLACK
AHNCCONNECTION STYLEINVERTED FLARE 2ND END
AHNCCONNECTION STYLESWIVEL NUT FLARE 1ST END
AKUUEND CONNECTION DESIGNELBOW 1ST END
AKUUEND CONNECTION DESIGNSTRAIGHT 2ND END
AWLSCONNECTION TYPETHREADED INTERNAL TUBE 1ST END
CQBDBURST TEST PRESSURE1000 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CQCSLAYER COMPOSITION AND LOCATION1ST LAYER BRAIDED CORROSION RESISTANT STEEL WIRE AND 2ND LAYER MOLDED RUBBER, SYNTHETIC AND OUTER LAYER RUBBER IMPREGNATED BRAIDED FABRIC
CQGMMAXIMUM OPERATING PRESSURE250 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CQJXNOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 1/2 INCHES 2ND END
CQRBSEAT ANGLE30 DEGREES 2ND END
CQRBSEAT ANGLE45 DEGREES 1ST END
CRDWHYDROSTATIC TEST PRESSURE500 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CRFYFLOW ANGLE90 DEGREES 1ST END
CRJMOUTER COVERING ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTIONOIL RESISTANT
CRWLINSIDE SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH
CRXXMEASURING METHOD AND LENGTH22 1/2 INCHES NOMINAL OVERALL
MEDAMEDIA FOR WHICH DESIGNEDAIR SINGLE RESPONSE
PRPYPROPRIETARY CHARACTERISTICSPACS
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORNPT 2ND END

If this is one of the lines, then yes, we have a parts breakdown, and tech data. Or not?

I think the other line is Item #4.
AAGRCROSS-SECTIONAL SHAPE STYLEROUND
AAJDTHREAD CLASS3B 1ST END
AAJFTHREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND 1ST END
AAJFTHREAD DIRECTIONRIGHT-HAND 2ND END
AARXINSIDE DIAMETER0 41/100 INCHES NOMINAL
ABJHTEMP RATING-40 DEG FAHRENHEIT AND 300 DEG FAHRENHEIT SINGLE RESPONSE
ABKVOUTSIDE DIAMETER0 3/4 INCHES NOMINAL
ACKHMINIMUM INSIDE BENDING RADIUS2 31/100 INCHES
ADJSEXTERIOR COLORBLACK
AHNCCONNECTION STYLEINVERTED FLARE 2ND END
AHNCCONNECTION STYLESWIVEL NUT FLARE 1ST END
AKUUEND CONNECTION DESIGNSTRAIGHT 1ST END
AKUUEND CONNECTION DESIGNSTRAIGHT 2ND END
AWLSCONNECTION TYPETHREADED INTERNAL TUBE 1ST END
CBBLFEATURES PROVIDEDREUSABLE END FITTINGS
CQBDBURST TEST PRESSURE1000 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CQCSLAYER COMPOSITION AND LOCATION1ST LAYER BRAIDED CORROSION RESISTANT STEEL WIRE, PARTIAL COVERAGE AND OUTER LAYER RUBBER IMPREGNATED FABRIC
CQGMMAXIMUM OPERATING PRESSURE250 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CQJXNOMINAL THREAD SIZE0 1/2 INCHES 2ND END
CQRBSEAT ANGLE30 DEGREES 1ST END
CQRBSEAT ANGLE30 DEGREES 2ND END
CRDWHYDROSTATIC TEST PRESSURE500 POUNDS PER SQUARE INCH
CRJMOUTER COVERING ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTIONFUEL RESISTANT AND OIL RESISTANT AND WATER RESISTANT
CRSMVACUUM IN TORR50 4/5
CRWLINSIDE SURFACE CONDITIONSMOOTH
CRXXMEASURING METHOD AND LENGTH19 1/4 INCHES NOMINAL OVERALL
MEDAMEDIA FOR WHICH DESIGNEDAIR AND FUEL/OIL, HYDROCARBON AND WATER SINGLE RESPONSE
THSDTHREAD SERIES DESIGNATORNPT 2ND END

Ray70

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks