• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m929 fuel problems

blain72

Hello Guys, The school district I work for just purchased a AM General m929 with the Cummins NHC 250. I drove it 4 hours home and parcked it for the weekend and today it wont start. I looks like it has lost prime on the fuel system. I have blead the fuel back up to the PT injection pump but am stumped from here on what to do. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You may try a little ether to see if it will start up and work the air out. the PT systems will run with air in the system. and it will bleed out the air by using ether to get it running. Just not a whole lot of ether dumping. Also check visually for any wet spots on the fuel system. from pump to filter to switch valve to tank.

Step 1: Ensure the truck has fuel, ensure the tank switch gauge on the floor behind the drivers seat is on one tank or the other and not in the middle. You may try switching tanks and see if you can get it to bleed and fire off from a different tank.

Step 2 : Ensure the manual shut off is not engaged. This lever is just above the pump and should be titled forward. Ensure the cable is the cab is pushed back in. If correct proceed to step 3.

Step 3: Ensure you have voltage to the fuel shut off solenoid above the pump. Small stud on the back should have 24v+ with switches on and engine off. If power is there, ensure proper operation but screwing in the knob on the front to bypass the electrical side. IF no change proceed to step 4.

Step 4: Delete the primer pump . The main fuel feed hose into the pump goes into a 90 degree fitting. This will have a small 1/8" pipe fitting with a plastic hose hooked to it. Remove the fitting from the other fitting and replace it with a 1/8" NPT pipe plug. This deletes the known sucking primer pump from the system. If no change on starting then go to step 5.

Step 5: Check tightness of the fuel filter housing with a 3/4" wrench. Since you just drove the truck home it is best to replace the fuel filter, gasket for it, and the Bolt o ring thru the top.

step 6: drill and tap the fuel cap for an air chuck fitting to be installed so you can pressurize the system from shop air to help with bleeding and maybe a noticeable leak.

Step 7. Replace the fuel filter housing to the Injection pump hose. They can develop tiny pin hole leaks that can suck air but wont leak fuel.

blain72

Thanks for all the help. I found a bad 24 volt connection to the fuel stop solenoid. I blame the Gremlins. Thanks again.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks