Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: M809 Series- Front axle work and what to expect

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Robo McDuff View Post
    If I see those threads I have to go lay down with a serious depression of working here alone, far away from help and cheap parts and ...
    and ..

and then I seriously have to kick myself and

I hear you on the "working alone" part. At least I have access to parts and materials.
    I will say this- Buying the proper TOOLS greatly reduced the struggle and kept my morale high while doing the work.
    Motorpool:

(Isn't owning one of this insanity enough??)
    1971 M813 "Ox" (named for Dewey Oxburger)

In memorial Ron - 73M819 Robo McDuff's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,885 Times in 750 Posts

Thanks to advice of Kenny, I now have a brutal 1500 NM Milwaukee Power M18 Fuel cordless impact wrench, and thanks to Mike and Swamp Donkey, I also have the full set of power sockets including both wheel nut sockets: 6-edge and square.

Man, its just pure fun to remove bolts and nuts just for the heck of it.

IMG_7320_resize.JPGIMG_7322_resize.jpg
    M51A2 - M52A2 dual purpose truck, waiting for a double brake circuit conversion

The Soca / Izonso Front, also known as the the Forgotten Front of WW1

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

Our historic blacksmith workshop in Nove Hrady, Czech Republic

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo McDuff For This Useful Post:

Swamp Donkey (11-07-2019)

Thanks

Wow, that thing is a beast. I (mostly) quit battery operated tools because the battery design and shape changes every year, making buying replacements a hassle.
    I understand why people love cordless tools, though.

I use the military geared lug wrench and air-impact gun. I also carry a hose and gladhand to run tools from the truck air supply.
    Motorpool:

Thanks

I saw Kenny busy with it at the 2014 GA Rally. After having to wait for a second person and then using 4 foot pipes as extra, and breaking tools, still without getting bolts free, I decided I needed one. But ... too expensive here: $ 870. Then I went to a tool day from one shop and the had several event sales. Could have spent an easy 2-month salary (Czech level) there on the sales. The M18 was going for $ 520 including case, two batteries and loader and some other things thrown in.

The bumper bolts left had taken me about 90 minutes to get free, after which I quit and went to the sale. With the M18, it took about 3 minutes. This one is stronger than most heavy air wrenches especially with the breakout power. My blacksmith son declared I was crazy, then borrowed the thing to bolt the new roof into his 60x24 feet workshop.

Czech Emigration Museum - Cold War, US Army Engineers in Europe exhibition in preparation

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Robo McDuff For This Useful Post:

Ajax MD (11-06-2019)

Thanks

Ok, I'm in a bind and seek the wisdom of the Big Truck People.

I'm prepping to do the driver's side of the steering axle. I figured I'd start by breaking the lug nuts loose and remove the tire tomorrow, after tonight's rain.

I have ONE lug nut that absolutely will not let go. I've tried:

- 40" breaker bar and standard chrome socket. I weigh 240 and it just laughed at me.
    - 5 foot breaker bar with the military geared lug wrench (of course, the geared part doesn't apply when using it on the front) I actually bent the solid bar that the tool comes with
    - heat with a oxygen/mapp gas torch
    - vibration with hammer

I did something potentially dangerous. I put the 40" breaker bar and socket on the nut and then put my 20 ton jack under it and cranked it up.
    I stopped because I had visions of the apocalypse in my head... socket shattering, fragments blowing the tire, the breaker bar snapping, blowing up the tire, the lock ring blowing off the rim.

At present, I do NOT have a 1 1/2" impact socket but I also don't have an impact gun strong enough to get this nut free even if I did have the impact socket. No store has one in stock, I'd have to order it.

Give me some fresh, safe ideas, please.
    Motorpool:

Thanks

When getting the bolts from the bumper free, we had two people, hardened power sockets and connectors, and a 6 foot and thick steel tube on it, one person making sure the wrench stayed in place and hammering on it, while the other was hanging on the tube. Still was a problem, and caused some minor injuries. That's when I decided I really needed that M18 impact wrench.

The first time the wheel nuts were released I had a truck tire repair company do it with very big and high power air hammers.

Some bolts even the M18 Impact Wrench has problems, and I already split two of the hardened special sockets, but in the end the bolts came free.

Maybe stupid remark, but did you check which direction the nuts move? I think the driver side nuts are counter normal direction.

Also, put lots of WD40 on it and let it sit 24 hours. Maybe even go back a few times, hit the nut, heat it (not too hard, just to shake the WD 40 in) and put next WD 40 on it.

Also try to tighten it and free it and etc etc; with the impact wrench it works. Even a weaker air gun might do the trick that way.

Standard chrome sockets: if you really put enough power on it they will split, which can cause you injury. Either use power sockets which can stand high pressure AND high vibration, or use the official wheel nut stick wrench or whatever they called that thing. Better wait for the power sockets than splitting a chrome one and losing your balance and ending up in hospital.

Whatever you do, be very careful.

General
    Thanks

Maybe stupid remark, but did you check which direction the nuts move? I think the driver side nuts are counter normal direction.

Do check the direction of the threads.
    We had a truck that we could not get one of the lug nuts loose. I wonít go into the details other that to say thankfully there werenít cameras around. Then the Chief Warrant Officer came and gave it another look. Well, donít you know? Five of the studs were left hand and one was right. Sometime in the past someone hand installed the wrong part.

And a PM sent.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:

Floridianson (11-08-2019)

19K M1 Armor Crewman MyothersanM1's Avatar
    MVPA
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 512 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post

Do check the direction of the threads.
    We had a truck that we could not get one of the lug nuts loose. I won’t go into the details other that to say thankfully there weren’t cameras around. Then the Chief Warrant Officer came and gave it another look. Well, don’t you know? Five of the studs were left hand and one was right. Sometime in the past someone hand installed the wrong part.

And a PM sent.
    I had the same problem on my old juice brakes drums (before I switch over to M939-series front drums). The right front drum had one left-hand stud infiltrator.
    Brian McMahon, SPC, USA (Ret.)
    Culver City, CA, USA (of course)
    MVPA Member #33433

'77 AMGeneral M818 5 Ton Tractor, "Hannibal 8"
    -20K Winch added
    -M923 Dropside Bed Installed
    -Converted to full dual circuit Air Brakes
    Only in my memory, always in my heart:
    XM-1, M-1, IPM-1, M1A1 Main Battle Tanks
    M998 HMMWV 1 1/4 ton
    ELA: 0162-0209

I bear my allegiance to those...
    Whom willingly swear to the Oath...
    Then pick up a weapon...
    And bravely stand a post.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MyothersanM1 For This Useful Post:

Floridianson (11-08-2019)

Thanks

Other thing, if its the last nut with the wheel on, the wheel will be at an angle also frustrating your efforts. Put a few nuts back, at least one opposite of the bad nut and two on each side of it, tighten them good and try again, both directions
    Last edited by Robo McDuff; 11-08-2019 at 04:12.

Thanks

Hey gents,

Thanks for all the wise responses.

First- I have not removed any lug nuts, only slightly loosened them. This will keep the wheel at the proper attitude while I work on the final nut.

Second- Are you @#$! kidding me??? "Infiltrator" huh? I will check that first thing when I get home this afternoon! The "L" or "R" is clearly visible on the end of these studs, so I should know right away. I did not think to look at all of them.

Lastly- Last night I ordered one of those new, geared lug wrenches. It generates about 3,300 ft.lbs. of torque, safely. I was fortunate enough to score free shipping to arrive TODAY. I thought it was made in the U.S. but maybe not. It does include a 1-1/2" impact socket.

https://www.amazon.com/Multiplier-Am...3217381&sr=8-1

Wes demo'd one of these (of a different manufacturer) in a Youtube video and declared it to be acceptable.
    Motorpool:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast