• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

H1 viscous clutch fan retrofit

DREDnot

Since I need to change out my stretched out wobbly belts and refurbish the cooling system, I was thinking about getting rid of the overly complicated hydraulic fan clutch system and replace it with a conventional viscous clutch.

I still get annoyed when that loud assed thing kicks on.

I read the archived posts and got the part numbers for the H1 application. I was able to get an NOS clutch but the H1 plastic conventional(CW) rotation fan is on worldwide backorder.

I was able to find a plain jane steel fan assembly. 19" six blades. made by Derale.

Any thoughts, tips or warnings from anyone who has seen or done anything similar?

I plan on starting in the next week or two and will post the results of this test.

20191030_090530.jpg

20191030_090433.jpg

20191030_090541.jpg

20191030_090723.jpg

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Civilian H1 from 92-94 had V belts and Fan [ 5939560 ]..clutch [ 5939545 ] both discontinued.
Civilian late 94 started using surp belt system with Fan [6003064 ], and clutch [ 6003082 ].
V belt turns opposite of surp system.

DREDnot

If you use a piece of 1/2" pipe it will center everything nicely.
Ive read that bit of advice a few times in the archive.

And about grinding off some tabs on the WP flange(?)

I have an H1 application water pump from AutoZone and there is a centering dowel on it that fits perfect.

20191030_090530.jpg

Im going to surmise that the MIL water pump has a different mounting flange with a hollow center and some heavy duty combat drive lugs?

Anyone got a pic or two of the bare HMMWV water pump flange?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks