• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing MEP 803a

technoid

I won a bid for this generator on Govplanet. I live in PA and the genset is located over 3 hours away. Since its bolted to a trailer do I need to register it? I have been trying to find an answer on Penndot site but its useless. I have lights for it and the proper hitch with chains. Its under 3,000 lbs. Is it legal in PA to tow with no plate or registration?

Zed254

No Idea about Legality, but......

Where is unit located? If Letterkenny Army Depot check out this post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?186892-GovPlanet-Chambersburg-PA

Several guys have had problems with PA DOT enforcement. Evidently, I've been lucky: I pulled an MEP803A on a trailer in late 2016 and 2 separate trailers out of their yard in mid 2017 with no problems. I was driving my F250 each time - private vehicle, VA plates, no temp tag for trailers.

Search the SS site for tips on recovery - you will need extra shackles or other chain 'stretchers', depending on year of trailer you may need 12 volt tail lights and a mil trailer to civilian truck adapter or the Walmart style temp trailer light system, air compressor or air tank: the tire pressures will be low, nylon zip ties for mounting temp wire and such.

Attachments

Last edited:

technoid

Where is unit located? If Letterkenny Army Depot check out this post: https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?186892-GovPlanet-Chambersburg-PA

Several guys have had problems with PA DOT enforcement. Evidently, I've been lucky: I pulled an MEP803A on a trailer in late 2016 and 2 separate trailers out of their yard in mid 2017 with no problems. I was driving my F250 each time - private vehicle, VA plates, no temp tag for trailers.

Search the SS site for tips on recovery - you will need extra shackles or other chain 'stretchers', depending on year of trailer you may need 12 volt tail lights and a mil trailer to civilian truck adapter or the Walmart style temp trailer light system, air compressor or air tank: the tire pressures will be low, nylon zip ties for mounting temp wire and such.
Thank you. I read the posts. It scared me to think driving 140 miles one way to pick up a genset trailer only to have it impounded on the way home. I have decided to spend the money and pay for transport to my home. Thank you again.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why not just go ahead and register the trailer in PA before the recovery and take the tag with you? Use trailer towing lights and you should be good to go.

technoid

Why not just go ahead and register the trailer in PA before the recovery and take the tag with you? Use trailer towing lights and you should be good to go.
No title from US gov, no certificate of origin. You need to submit the proper forms. Penndot is a real pain in the ass. By the time I get all that stuff i would be charged storage fees. Besides not having the right hitch. To much red tape. I am hiring a transporter. Govplanet has listed the wrong weight for the genset. It weighs far more than 2500 lbs combined weight and genset.

Zed254

My 803 is sitting on an M116A3 trailer. Shipping weight shows as 2,660 lbs. What kind of trailer is your generator sitting on? My trailer plate indicates an empty weight of 960 lbs.

Attachments

technoid

My 803 is sitting on an M116A3 trailer. Shipping weight shows as 2,660 lbs. What kind of trailer is your generator sitting on? My trailer plate indicates an empty weight of 960 lbs.
The one the military mounts the 803a on. Its a very well made steel trailer. I dont know its weight without the genset.

Zed254

Mine looks like the tan picture: it's an MEP-803A sitting on an M116A3. The second picture is my MEP-802A sitting on a Light Tactical Trailer generator chassis. Curb weight on the LTT is 1175 lbs. So if yours is sitting on an LTT it's about 200 lbs heavier than mine. Call it 2860 lbs shipping weight. Good luck with your shipment.

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does your state do trip permits? I know here you pay for a 3 day permit to haul or drive pretty much anything you want as long as it's reasonably arguable to be road worthy.

Chainbreaker

Our state also has trip permits. However, I once lived in a state that didn't and I borrowed a trailer tag which my neighbor loaned me to make a 50 mile trip one way. :whistle: Saved me a hefty transport fee but there is some obvious risk if you were stopped...speeding etc. :recovry4x4:

technoid

Mine looks like the tan picture: it's an MEP-803A sitting on an M116A3. The second picture is my MEP-802A sitting on a Light Tactical Trailer generator chassis. Curb weight on the LTT is 1175 lbs. So if yours is sitting on an LTT it's about 200 lbs heavier than mine. Call it 2860 lbs shipping weight. Good luck with your shipment.
for some reason I cant open the attached thumbnails? I am on a moto E plus phone.

technoid

Does your state do trip permits? I know here you pay for a 3 day permit to haul or drive pretty much anything you want as long as it's reasonably arguable to be road worthy.
PA only allows unregistered trailers on the road if you own a farm and are within 50 miles of the pick up zone. No temp permits here. If this was NY it would not be a problem.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have any friends with a deckover trailer? These will fit on a standard 8' wide deckover. ****, being 3 hours your might even find it cheaper to find someone with a flat bed tow truck and get it 'towed' back to where you are, than paying through the nose from a shipping company.

At the PA site, they have a LARGE tractor with forks, that will pick your genset and trailer up and place it on whatever flat surface you want. Thats why I wonder if you could use a tow truck, loaded pintle towards cab... released slowly at the home site via winch cable back and off, just like a car?

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
and I guess I have been lucky too.. towed a half dozen out of there on wheels with no problems. Trailered many more out though.

technoid

Do you have any friends with a deckover trailer? These will fit on a standard 8' wide deckover. ****, being 3 hours your might even find it cheaper to find someone with a flat bed tow truck and get it 'towed' back to where you are, than paying through the nose from a shipping company.

At the PA site, they have a LARGE tractor with forks, that will pick your genset and trailer up and place it on whatever flat surface you want. Thats why I wonder if you could use a tow truck, loaded pintle towards cab... released slowly at the home site via winch cable back and off, just like a car?[/Q nice idea but i dont know anyone here. Tow truck companies charge just as much by the mile. I have a company that put it on the schedule for pickup. I just hope after paying all this money the machine is worth it. Buying without hearing or checking it myself is always a risk when it comes to online auctions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks