• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M39 dump truck with Garwood winch - winch questions

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our M51 A2 from 1965 (overhauled 1973) is a Dump Truck W/W; Garwood 20 000 lbs. Unfortunately, the winch assembly was partly broken and without cable.

Some questions therefore.

winch damage_resize.jpg IMG_8523_resize.JPG IMG_8524_resize.JPG

Above is how I bought it in 2010, with details of where some kind of guiding system - rollers were broken off.

Winch detail.jpg

Does anybody has detailed pictures how this should really look? In our forge we can remake a lot of things once we know how it should look.

Also, I never tried the winch, so it has not been operational at least 9 years, probably more. I tried to move both levers on the driver side of the winch, and can move the drum about a quarter turn both ways. Forgot to check if the PTO lever in the cabin is in engaged or not. Don't want to engage it with running engine; scared to mess up whatever is still functional. Best way to check it?

I have the TM 9 - 3830 - 501 for depot maintenance. Are there other - better specialized TMs to work on these things?

fasttruck

The fair leads are missing. Pic attached of M 818WW which was apart to replace bearings in fair lead rollers. Is drum lock disengaged which would restrict rotation of capstan ? To try winch to see if it rotates, disengage pto in cab and rotate winch drive shaft with a pipe wrench. Check winch drive gear case to see if it has GO in it. Lubrication order shows where check and fill plugs areM818 WO BUMPER.jpg

fasttruck

The relevant parts book has a part number for the cable but doers not list the size. The operator's manual lists 200' of cable for a dump truck, tractor, or cargo truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks