• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Problem... what problem..... addict..... whoo me?? (another LMTV follows me home)

coachgeo

It has not happened yet (cause no pics or vid) but as some of you may have just surmised. by recent questions... My day started like this

"Hi......My Name is George...... and I have a problem..... Im an FMTV-aholic"

"I just bought another one" "IM BROKE NOW"

can't say Im a PROUD owner of an M1079 now..... maybe more of an "apprehensive owner"? apparently it has been at a big truck repair shop for close to year and a half about hour north of me..Had heard rumors of it... it threw a driveshaft.... took out both engine and tranny.

Stoops Freightliner dealer did lot of repair....... then owner and they parted ways as he handed them the Title

The good:

. Engine replaced with is 290hp... (Engine came from ??? .. WHO SOLD ENGINE TO ALDEN from REDD Bar?)
. Wtech II Tranny Rebuilt (to what degree do not know)
. 307 gears
. Spare unknown condition WTech III transmission * for sell?
. has more LED than I will need/want (will sell* them... they are high dollar versions)
. High dollar Bantam lighting control system * For sell?
. paint job.... so so but painted
. Partially converted 1079 box to camper **
. solar system** don't know watts yet (800watt?)... 4 large panels two small total 800w (Renogy charger inverter as well as second 6000w inverter **
. boarding ladder**
. Good tires
. Has real turret cover
. roof rack

** things I will sell together

The Bad:

. Throttle sticks at about 900rpm randomly
. turret cover leaks like a sieve
. Air brakes .... not working right
. CTIS not working
. Hydraulic system not working (no cab or spare tire lift) a hydraulic leak was mentioned.. but supposedly hose replaced...... yet she sprays hydraulic oil? all under the cab
. windshield gasket as slits at the bottom... not like my other newer truck by 2yrs...hmmm? looks like it would let water in?? Will start thread on this later.
. REAR third was leaking bad at pinion side and got new seals etc cause of this.... this concerns me... and makes we wonder if the dancing driveshaft may have caused more harm here internally?? luckly I'll be swapping this axle out to my custom axle setup (High pinion axle made out of Middle 6x6 axle.... same concept as what military did eventually )
. COOLANT light is on .. in the dash cluster.... but coolant reservoir is full. over full actually. Is there a over full drain?
. BATTERIES to tall to put battery box cover on.
. Hydraulic oil sprays all over place under cab when you use either hydraulic pump
. SCREECHES like **** when you drive it.... (maybe from slippy belt from hydraulic oil?)
. Turbo.... or something not working... way under powered for a 290hp engine (maybe screech is air leak in turbo line so its not turbo-ing)

PICTURES are from old sale ad and were pre engine grenading

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like previous owner did zero maintenance and every mechanic to touch it since did not know what they were doing.

dmetalmiki

Yep, That's an obsession alright...Welcome to the 'club'!.
I keep saying I'm going to stop buying...After this..and this..and this....and...

AllenF

Coachgeo, looked at the first 2 pictures and thought the mother ship had landed then the third freaked me out as I thought Christinse' s older brother. With all of the issues it is a good thing that you are addicted because a sober man would never get past the to do list.:wink:
So, needless to say you have all your spare time allotted for the next 3 years? Not to mention those lose quarters. Have fun it' s only money. Right?

coachgeo

Sounds like previous owner did zero maintenance and every mechanic to touch it since did not know what they were doing.
sorta sums it up. Freightliner Dealership got engine sorta installed and tranny fixed, sorta, so lest the heavyweight got done.. Sorta.

Third From Texas

turret cover leaks like a sieve
Flexseal, etc. Don't waste money on an OEM seal (they suck anyway and eventually leak)

Air brakes .... not working right
Any luck diddling with the glad hands?
CTIS not working
You have another controller in the other truck?
Hydraulic system not working (no cab or spare tire lift) a hydraulic leak was mentioned.. but supposedly hose replaced...... yet she sprays hydraulic oil? all under the cab
Hose at actuator or cut/crimped/pinched somewhere by mechanics?
COOLANT light is on .. in the dash cluster.... but coolant reservoir is full. over full actually. Is there a over full drain?
Closed system with a vent hose at the back of the fill tank neck
BATTERIES to tall to put battery box cover on
Easy fix:

https://builtmfg.com/2016/11/14/batteries/
SCREECHES like **** when you drive it.... (maybe from slippy belt from hydraulic oil?)
Wet belt

coachgeo

Flexseal, etc. Don't waste money on an OEM seal (they suck anyway and eventually leak)
thanks
Any luck diddling with the glad hands?
yes/no. blocked emergency glad hand.... capped the one way valve behind it... and plugged the hose connected to one way valve. drove home. Interestingly... this should have stopped the parking break from working..... it didn't. RonMar feels that means the Inversion valve is kaput... I've ordered a rebuild kit. and will replace the two way valve behind the washer tank as well.

You have another controller in the other truck?
... yes/no it is non op
Hose at actuator or cut/crimped/pinched somewhere by mechanics?
which actuator? are you referring to brakes or cab tilt issues?

Closed system with a vent hose at the back of the fill tank neck
thanks... figured that the case but didn't trust myself
thanks
will find out... thanks

coachgeo

Went back today to pick up spare Wtech III Tranny. While there got clarity on what they did to repair the tranny. Answer.. Yikes... NOTHING. I drove home on a cracked Tranny bell housing. If I knew that I would have started my offer 1, 000 bucks lower

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks