• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

No Start and No Crank

howardc

Hi guys,

I have searched and found a few threads with a similar issue, but I'm still stumped.

Drove the M1009 to work this morning, as an owl decided to kamikaze into my daily driver windshield, but that's a different story. Started fine at 5 am, drove to work, finished my shift and went to start it at 630 am. It slowly cranked long enough for the batteries to die. I tried to jump it using a battery pack but didn't work. Replaced the batteries, bought the relay to complete the doghead starter mod while I was bored at work this morning.

New batteries, and all I get is the new relay click sound when I turn the key. I got a piece of jumper wire and crossed the two wires on the relay, and get the usual relay click and a thumping noise from the starter. Is it possible I fried the starter and it needs to be replaced?

Thanks for any help you can provide; I'm out of ideas beyond replacing the starter.

DeadParrot

Thump the end of the starter opposite the gear end. That's where the brushes live and if they are shot, sometimes you can get a start or two extra with a decent whack. Think rubber mallet whack.

If it is brushes, they are a few dollars to replace.

Barrman

Yes, under voltage on the starter will do tremendous damage to it. I did almost the same thing years ago. Only a slave from a running 24 volt truck would make it turn fast enough to start the engine. But the starter would be too hot to touch for more that a few seconds afterward.

howardc

Thump the end of the starter opposite the gear end. That's where the brushes live and if they are shot, sometimes you can get a start or two extra with a decent whack. Think rubber mallet whack.

If it is brushes, they are a few dollars to replace.
Tried that. It’s worked on other vehicles I’ve worked on but no luck this time. How hard is the starter to rebuild? Might just get a rebuild kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeadParrot

Never done a complete rebuild. Replacing brushes on a Chevy 350 direct drive starter is fairly simple and the brushes were $4 from O'Rielly's a few years ago. Guessing the direct drive 24v version would be similar. No clue on the gear reduction versions.

Barrman

Both direct drive and redux starters are very easy to rebuild. The HMMWV -20 TM is a great resource with step by step instructions on how to do the redux.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks