• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

use backhoe as a crane?

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats...............sometimes this old military stuff is tougher than we give credit.

Safety is ALWAYS the key though.

SeeNebraska

i think the gantry crane will be useful because i am thinking of building or buying a cnc plasma table in the near future so i'll be buying large sheets of metal that get hard to move from truck to storage to plasma table.

SeeNebraska

What is next?

Forklift, Overhead Gantry

Another Ahab

i think the gantry crane will be useful because i am thinking of building or buying a cnc plasma table in the near future so i'll be buying large sheets of metal that get hard to move from truck to storage to plasma table.
Your business, or your hobby? What do you fabricate?

SeeNebraska

Your business, or your hobby? What do you fabricate?
i guess hobby. i've been around that type of work and used to have access to a full machine shop at work. I switched up my work arrangements, I'm full time remote now and I miss having those tools. so i'm now starting to build up my own shop. the cnc plasma would probably turn into a small side gig though because as far as i know, nobody in my area has one.

SeeNebraska

Thanks for the video, now on to some electrical work or are you ready?
electrical for the mill? i need to run a new 220V drop across the shop to a subpanel. From there it will feed a 10hp 1 to 3 phase VFD convertor.

electrical on the SEE? I've got about half the wiring fixed, still something going on with lights, i only have the orange lights working.

Pinsandpitons

Thanks for the video. Always nice to watch someone else hop on and off rather than me. One thought that comes to mind ...again, is lifting with the boom locked. The boom cylinders always relief before the stick. Does anybody have thoughts about locking them out with the stowage ring?

biohydrix

gorton mill.jpggantry move.jpg So here is my Mill on moving day. I made a Rotary Phase Converter, but I would advise going with the Variable Freq. Drive due to the adjustable rpms. There are two issues that you may have to consider if you have two or more three phase motors on the mill (mine has the main drive motor, a motor for power up/down/left/right, and a third motor for power down on the Quill). First, the VFD doesn't like to work well with multiple motors of different amperage and RPM. You may need to buy several vfd's to make it work. Second , VFD's get exponentially expensive with the higher HP motors. And I added a pic for my lathe as well, since it's prior War vintage.lathe.jpg

Last edited:

biohydrix

You can check gsaauctions in your area, occasionally they throw some vfd's and RPC's up there. If you are planning to build a Rotary Phase Converter, find a local electric motor repair place near you and ask them if they have a bin of used capacitors. you can usually get them fairly cheap, like a dollar a piece, as they usually just pull them from a scrap motor, and only come back to the bin if they can't order the replacement.

art

How about a surplus generator that has 3 phase?
Then you would also have backup electricity for your living area and the backup generator would run regularly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks