• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

use backhoe as a crane?

dmetalmiki

Why not use ramps and rollers?, Safer and more under control. (In conjunction with the tractor perhaps).
(I mean, There are back hoes and there are back hoes!..you don't actually say what machine it is fitted on)

SeeNebraska

Why not use ramps and rollers?, Safer and more under control. (In conjunction with the tractor perhaps).
(I mean, There are back hoes and there are back hoes!..you don't actually say what machine it is fitted on)

sorry, referring to my FLU419, I forget there are other vehicles included in this forum. I'd feel most comfortable picking it up and moving it with the Front Loader but I think the max weight for that is 3k lb. my trailer doesn't have ramps that would work well for rolling off, i think picking it straight up and then driving the trailer out is going to be the best for me. I'll probably move it around the shop on pipes/rollers though.

Speedwoble

Will it do it? Maybe, but I would have a backup plan.
5000lb is a lot and the backhoe hydraulics are not designed for load holding (they will drift down over time). The backhoe cylinders are positioned to apply max force digging into the ground, not lifting up. With the boom vertical and the dipper horizontal, you don’t have much mechanical advantage on the boom so it will try to sag or at least not seem stable. I certainly would not try to swing it left or right as that would move too fast. I have picked up 2000lb with the backhoe, but I much preferred my old knuckeboom.

SeeNebraska

Will it do it? Maybe, but I would have a backup plan.
5000lb is a lot and the backhoe hydraulics are not designed for load holding (they will drift down over time). The backhoe cylinders are positioned to apply max force digging into the ground, not lifting up. With the boom vertical and the dipper horizontal, you don’t have much mechanical advantage on the boom so it will try to sag or at least not seem stable. I certainly would not try to swing it left or right as that would move too fast. I have picked up 2000lb with the backhoe, but I much preferred my old knuckeboom.
thanks guys. i think i'm going to build a ramp off the back of the trailer with solid support to the ground every 12" or so and then borrow a pallet jack and use a come-a-long to help control the decent down the ramp.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
Using a backhoe as a lifting, excavating machine is what the machine is designed for. The mechanical advantage is limited by the weight of the machine and the lever to which when extended is reduced by distance of the center pivot point. The farther you are away the less amount of weight that can be safely lifted.

Adding weight to the front loader, dirt, rock, will add stability and help reduce the lever reaction and by being 180 from the load not picking from the side of the machine will help with stability.

Driving out from under the picking point will help for sure as long as the machine can lift the load off the deck. The higher the lifting point will also decrease the mechanical lifting advantage.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
We also take the excavator bucket off to lose weight. And by taking bucket off gives more lifting ability by being closer to the knuckle where the bucket was. And height advantage, up close to the machine where it has max ability to lift.

art

Check the manual

Check the manual
see:
TM 5-2420-224-10

http://www.rockymountainmoggers.com/pdf/TM5-2420-224-10.pdf

Page 2-95
12) Lifting with Backhoe.

WARNING
Backhoe is not a crane. Exercise caution when lifting load to prevent injury to personnel.Lower load to ground if one of the stabilizers is raised above ground or there is any indication that stability of vehicle is reduced. Failure to do so could result in serious personal injury.

12) Lifting with Backhoe.
(a) Lower front loader to ground surface.
(b) Attach hand line to load before lifting. Make sure person holding line is away from load.
(c) Position vehicle as close to load as possible without interfering with movement.
(d) Use suitable cable or sling to fasten load to end of dipper at bucket pivot pin.
(e) With backhoe, lift load 1-2 in. (25-50 mm) above ground.
(f) Move load slowly. Keep all persons away from elevated load until it is safely lowered to ground or stand.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Agree with Simp, my much larger track hoe struggles to pick up a 3000 lb shelter with the stick out.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Seenebraska. I believe you found a reason to ask the wife for you to join the wrecker club to acquire an 816 or 936. Sounds like a great excuse to buy one !

Speedwoble

Attachment removed. Reasons.

note, the FLU419 backhoe is specific to the FLU, but it is most common with the 580E. The modifications were to allow a tighter fold of the dipper. I have not investigated if the dipper cylinder is longer to allow the greater fold.

Last edited:

biohydrix

Ok, this is my redneck heritage probably creeping out, but what is the downward force that the outriggers could do. The pistons are used as pushers so that's going for you, and You might be able to hold the weight with the hoe, and lift slightly with the outriggers one at a time. Once again a horrible idea, but if you were stuck with what you had, it could maybe be used to get it lifted enough to drive out from. The safest might be to use a ramp, and then block and strap it to the front bucket. Then use the bucket to slide and pull it down the ramp in a controlled fashion.

dmetalmiki

thanks guys. i think i'm going to build a ramp off the back of the trailer with solid support to the ground every 12" or so and then borrow a pallet jack and use a come-a-long to help control the decent down the ramp.
There Y'a go..Nice and safe, and all under control.

cucvmule

collector of stuff
I agree with biohydrix and grab from front. Kind of tall, but can still do it from rear.

I look at the machine and it does not look 5000lb to me. 2000lb yes but what do I know.

Air up the tires, grab with front loader, use back hoe for counter balance.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks