• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

use backhoe as a crane?

Another Ahab

FLU419 can lift up to 3,300 lbs with breakout force of 6000. So lifting a 5,000 lbs mill is quite risky.
Thanks, Acanthous.

I think the rule of thumb for the entire profession of structural engineering (bridges, etc) is to design for double (2x) the anticpated load of any particular structure.

Someone who knows better than me (I hope) will correct me, but the point being that engineering (proessionally and historically) always leans towards a conservative standard, for design and safety.

So it's likely a good standard to follow, just to be on the safe side.

Combat, and other life-and-death situations, sure:

- Push the envelope

But otherwise it's never any fun when people get hurt, you know?

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

December 4th, 2019

I might suggest get a civillian backhoe on hire large enough to lift your mill, as the Unimog front end loader and backhoe are limited in their power, and I would be worried about the axles and outriggers not being up to that weight. a Standard Unimog unloaded runs about 6,000 to 8,000 lbs, the mill may be near half its weight or more. Even hiring a medium or large civillian wrecker may be worth the time in safety and to protect your own truck from damage.

Just a though based one xperience...

Have a Great Evening!

SeeNebraska

December 4th, 2019

I might suggest get a civillian backhoe on hire large enough to lift your mill, as the Unimog front end loader and backhoe are limited in their power, and I would be worried about the axles and outriggers not being up to that weight. a Standard Unimog unloaded runs about 6,000 to 8,000 lbs, the mill may be near half its weight or more. Even hiring a medium or large civillian wrecker may be worth the time in safety and to protect your own truck from damage.

Just a though based one xperience...

Have a Great Evening!
the task was completed several weeks ago. I posted a video of the adventure.

Speedwoble

.... a Standard Unimog unloaded runs about 6,000 to 8,000 lbs, the mill may be near half its weight or more.....
I have to remind myself from time to time that the FLU is not a standard Unimog. The vast majority of items are standard or similar, but it differs in interesting ways: for example, the weight is 9740 lbs without the backhoe or loader. I have the breakdown by tire on the main owners thread.
LF 2940 RF 2865
LR 1920 RR 2025

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks