• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Actual Rating for MEP-804B

bontonjeff

It’s a 12 wire multi tap head right ? Under Rated at 15kw 3 phase rating. What’s the single phase ratting I know you reduce by 1/3rd but I’m also trying to allow for the actual rating so I’m guessing the actual rating 3 phase is what around 18kw or 20 maybe ? So would 13-14kw be right at single phase had anyone actually load tested this model on single phase ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15kw generator will produce 15000 watts of power no matter the configuration, it will do 15kw total at single phase 120, 15kw split phase 120/240, or 15kw of 3 phase 208.

It's my understanding the 15kw rating is at .8 power factor. If you are running a purely resistive load with no losses or adjustments for power factor, then it would be somewhere around 18.75kw.

Watts is the total sum of the power produced, the volts, amps and phases are all just different ways of breaking down how the power is being used.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
804 is a 10 wire head, not 12.

I load tested my 804a at 18k with no issues, it didn't like 21k.

The video is after a used motor swap, so it was smoking more than normal to blow out the cobwebs

https://youtu.be/HZuCSmFHLV4

Last edited:

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yanmar turbo motor is only thing i know of, someone else will pipe up and correct me

Guyfang

Staff member
Awesome thanks. What’s the difference between the A and the B ? The resigned enclosure or something more ? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As 155 said, the engine is the main difference. There are a few other small things, like wire harness and such, but you have to look hard in the TM to find them. There is no new enclosure. The box is the same.

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
15kw generator will produce 15000 watts of power no matter the configuration, it will do 15kw total at single phase 120, 15kw split phase 120/240, or 15kw of 3 phase 208.
This might be a bit pedantic but... A 12 wire three phase generator wired single phase will not produce the same power as when it is in its "native" configuration. It will do 90-95% of nameplate under the same temperature rise but it won't produce the same. The efficiency is a little lower.

We get away with it on the 12 wire units (802, 803, 004, etc) because they have generous engineering overhead. So yes, a MEP004 can make 15kw wired in single phase BUT you are dipping into the overhead a bit more than you would be at 15kw in 3 phase.

robertsears1

I have both a 804a and 804b only used as three phase. As stated above, the a model has an Isuzu while the b model has a turbo Yanmar. The a model had around 47 hours when purchased and the b model had around 400. I believe both meters were accurate. I have now put around 100 hours on the a model and 500 hours on the b model. The a model has a mechanical main fuel pump so you will hear no sound in prime and run until you attemp to start. The b model’s pumps are both electrical. The b model handles the huge inrush of current much better when the compressor on one of my FDECU-5 heat pumps kicks in. I have bought new caps and made sure all connections are tight on one of my -5, yet on the a model, it still only works around 10% of the time when the compressor kicks in, the other 90% shows a short circuit. I can take that same -5 and plug it into the b model and it works fine. Same resut on a -5 that was factory fresh, never put into service. It does say on a tag that the -5 needs 60 amps @ 208 per phase. I read in the book where there are some troubleshooting trees on adjusting/checking what kicks off the short circuit light, just haven’t had time to play. At the moment, the a model has water pump issues, the magnetic pickup (mpu) has failed at least once and possibly twice, and the mechanical fuel hand pump had to be replaced. My b model seems more robust than my a model— never had a problem yet.

Robert

Last edited:

bontonjeff

63D70A93-11B7-4112-8A50-ACD11851FD9E.jpg

I guess I thought it was a 12 lead head because there is a terminal block that has 12 points on it configured in a square or rectangle were they clear plexiglass over the front and I guess I assumed that was a 12 lead had from the 12 terminal points but must be mistaken.So with only 10 leads-if that is the case and I guess you’re correct it is-it can be reconfigured for single phase? I thought 812 wire lead had was required for swapping between single phase and three phase but I guess in this case 10 leads is adaptable?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can get 2 legs of 120v, but across both legs is only 208, not 240v. Generator will produce about 5 kw per leg, so single phasing a 3ph genny will only get 2/3 rated power

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The voltage reconnection board is only used for selecting required voltage...120/208 or 240/416

DieselAddict

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 782165

I guess I thought it was a 12 lead head because there is a terminal block that has 12 points on it configured in a square or rectangle were they clear plexiglass over the front and I guess I assumed that was a 12 lead had from the 12 terminal points but must be mistaken.So with only 10 leads-if that is the case and I guess you’re correct it is-it can be reconfigured for single phase? I thought 812 wire lead had was required for swapping between single phase and three phase but I guess in this case 10 leads is adaptable?
Not adaptable.

bontonjeff

So if the 804 cannot be configured to single phase then am I to assume that the talk of such on this thread is related two other generators with 12 wire heads and that they were discussed within the framework of this generator in error?

The remark above, the last one from 155mm, would not be relevant to the 804 as it relates to single phase?

I really need to get clarity on it if possible because I’m trying to sell this to a gentleman for home standby and he wants to know the answer that I posed on the original post and opened the topic which is how many KW’s could be expected in an 804 in single phase.

Did the others that chime down assumed that it was possible and gave the calculations and data in the air as it relates to an 804 which you’re saying is not going to work at all for single phase?

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
10kw constant with 10% surge if you use 2 legs of a 3ph generator. 2/3 of rated capacity.

the tm states you can use as single ph, use terminal 1 and 3.

155mm

Chief and Indian
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok so single ph is 2 legs of 120v, 240v measured leg to leg.

3 ph is 3 legs of 120v, 208v measured leg to leg

you can use a 3 ph generator to get single ph by using only 2 legs. But you will only have 208 v

804 805 806 are 10 wire generators therefore they cannot be reconfigured to a true single ph, 120/240v, you can however get 2 legs of 120/208.

i use a 804 for my home/shop/well with 0 issues. My setup is L1 and L3 to the house and i use L2 for 1-2 1500w halogen lights. Its a waste of load but help balance the generator.

Guyfang

Staff member
So if the 804 cannot be configured to single phase then am I to assume that the talk of such on this thread is related two other generators with 12 wire heads and that they were discussed within the framework of this generator in error?

No, they were not in error, but to help you understand that first off, the 804 is not a 12 wire head, and to help you understand what you can and can not do with this gen set.
The remark above, the last one from 155mm, would not be relevant to the 804 as it relates to single phase?

Well, yes it is relevant. Like 155 explained, you cant turn this set into a single phase gen set. But you can chose to tap two phases and power for instance a house. But you are only going to get 2/3 or the 15 KW rated power. And if you are smart like 155, you can use the extra phase for other loads, to balance the gen set load a bit.
I really need to get clarity on it if possible because I’m trying to sell this to a gentleman for home standby and he wants to know the answer that I posed on the original post and opened the topic which is how many KW’s could be expected in an 804 in single phase.

Since you can not reconfigure this gen set into a single phase configuration, its not possible to answer your question. Thats why everyone tried to explain how you can use the set, and what you will get from it.
Did the others that chime down assumed that it was possible and gave the calculations and data in the air as it relates to an 804 which you’re saying is not going to work at all for single phase?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks