• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Little Deuce Boot

HDN

Yes, the title of this topic is a play on the name of a Beach Boys song.

And yes, this is another topic about knuckle boots.

Although I need to block-up my M35A3 every time I park it for the day (at least until I get the rim seals fixed), it forces me to inspect the bottom of the truck and open the air system drains. While blocking-up the front axle last night, I noticed grease that made it's way out of the passenger-side knuckle boot.

20191103_182118.jpg

As I searched the forum about doing boots, a few of my questions went unanswered:

1. Can this replacement wait three or four more 20-mile trips on pavement until weather improves in the next spring?

2. Is this much of a concern if I'm not offroading? I don't want the u-joint to lose all its grease either.

3. Where's the best place to get a replacement boot, both zipper and solid? A lot of topics discussing quality are from years ago. I've been considering boots from Eastern Surplus, but they are about $20 more than those sold by Memphis Equipment. Is there a good reason for that price difference?

davidb56

It can wait if you are not crossing streams. I got mine from Big M***s. the one piece silicon ones. it allows you to clean and inspect everything at the same time.

fpchief

It can definitely wait. But, Like David said it gives you the chance to go in there and take a look and maybe replace anything needed (or not really needed). I did my inner seals when I did my boots. Just made sense to me. There is a decent thread on here with pics. I don't know how to attach a thread or I would put it on here for you.

fpchief

Although I need to block-up my M35A3 every time I park it for the day (at least until I get the rim seals fixed), it forces me to inspect the bottom of the truck and open the air system drains. While blocking-up the front axle last night, I noticed grease that made it's way out of the passenger-side knuckle boot.

View attachment 781980

As I searched the forum about doing boots, a few of my questions went unanswered:

1. Can this replacement wait three or four more 20-mile trips on pavement until weather improves in the next spring?

2. Is this much of a concern if I'm not offroading? I don't want the u-joint to lose all its grease either.

3. Where's the best place to get a replacement boot, both zipper and solid? A lot of topics discussing quality are from years ago. I've been considering boots from Eastern Surplus, but they are about $20 more than those sold by Memphis Equipment. Is there a good reason for that price difference?
On the parts, just shop around...I have not found any reason for Eastern to be higher on so many things other than they are just more expensive...I have bought almost exclusively from Big Mike... Some from Memphis. The thing is that I want a parts house that will answer questions I have and be patient with me when I need some help on something. That goes a long way and Big Mike is definitely that type of business.

Ajax MD

I just replaced my passenger side boot yesterday as the wrap-up to servicing that side of the steering axle.

I read many, many threads in the archives on axle boots and there simply is no detectable trend on whether one piece or zipper boots are more durable or whether any particular vendor sells a boot that is more durable.
They all seem somewhat fragile. I threw my hands up and bought "gold zipper" boots from Big Mike. If I ever totally submerge the axles for several minutes' driving, I will end up taking them apart for inspection no matter what kind of boot I use, so it doesn't really matter.

Yes, you can safely make some short trips on dry pavement with a small split like that. Consider pumping in some fresh grease to push out any contaminated grease between trips, especially if the split gets larger.

92ramaro

If it helps at all, Front loading Cement mixers (Oshkosh, Phoenix,etc) have the same type of knuckle design as the Deuce and do not have boots at all.

If you're not fording with the truck and keep up on the grease, you should be fine.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Note that one is supposed to open the goesoutah hole when greasing to let out the Old GAA
and that the boots nomenclature is dust boots not grease boots. Grease ruins the boots.
GAA outlet hole IMG_5345.jpg

Nomad1

yes you could wait maybe with the conditions you describe but,there is some risk of some thing getting in there and causing wear. I got my boots from rockwell off road. They seem to be of high quality but time will tell. As far as boot type 1 piece is better in my opinion

View attachment 781980

Ajax MD

View attachment 781980

I'm just glad to see that everyone else's grease looks like mine. It means that nothing abnormal is happening with my truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks